What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (2 Viewers)

Real Name
John
The only one of that list I'd upgrade to BR is The Bob Newhart Show as it's a favorite and the DVDs, while acceptable, could be improved upon. I *might* upgrade Newhart, another favorite, but recall that the DVDs look mostly pretty good.

I own copies of all the others with Rockford Files on BR. I do not need BRs of Mary Tyler Moore, M*A*S*H, Barney Miller, or Remington Steel (surprisingly, for me, the weakest of that list - I really liked it during the original airings but it's not held up all that well). The DVDs for those are most acceptable.

Barney Miller is all about the characters and the unbelievably sharp writing (sometimes, I'm amazed that the show originated and lived most of its life in the 1970s given the quality of the scripts),

Real Name
John
I haven't posted much on the forum. I typed the above last night, but backed out because I didn't think it really fit the point of this thread. I'm 100% sure I just clicked off the forum before hitting "post reply." Imagine my surprise just now when I saw that my "post" went through. Good thing I didn't say anything bad about anyone... :)

Anyway, I'd buy a Barney Miller Blu-ray faster than it'll take me to hit "post reply" for real now. LOL!

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Very true-- even if it were 7 discs at 5 episodes per disc (or 6 discs [5 having 6 episodes apiece, and the last one having the last 5]), I'd still get it and possibly enjoy it, because I've never seen that CBS action/detective/comedy series before.
I wouldn't consider Crazy like a Fox essential. There's a bunch of episodes floating around Youtube.

It's a lightweight semi-comedic crimefighting adventure show sort of like Scarecrow and Mrs. King, only Scarecrow is now elderly and ornery, and Mrs. King is a Mr. Er, and they are father and son. Of course, I am not a big fan of Jack Warden so your mileage my vary.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The show was pleasant disarming fun, aided by the great chemistry and byplay between Warden as the private eye causing trouble for his upscale lawyer son John Rubenstein by getting him involved with his cases. Great location shooting in San Francisco helped and the show usually had some great veteran stars of TV's golden age of the 60s-70s in guest shots.

The show originally aired on Sunday nights after "Murder She Wrote" and was a hit. But then CBS decided it wanted to air a movie after "Murder She Wrote" and banished "Crazy Like A Fox" to a death slot opposite "Dynasty" which got it cancelled. But a lot of fans were upset by how the network had basically sabotaged the show and their protests did result in a TV-movie "Still Crazy Like A Fox" that aired in 1987 which fans hoped would be the start-up to a revival, but it sadly wasn't to be.

I have three episodes I taped myself from CBS airings as well as a couple from when Philadelphia Channel 29 was airing them in 1992 (plus the "Still Crazy Like A Fox" film). But I want the whole run!

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
CRACKLE currently has a couple of dozen Crazy Like A Fox episodes streaming.

In case you weren’t aware of it. Not as good as a physical release, but at least it’s something.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Don't think we'll ever see Best Of The Post, a 26-episode dramatic anthology, based on stories from the Saturday Evening Post, even though it was filmed in color and hosted by John Conte. It was produced by ITC, so Network would hold the rights to that series.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Don't think we'll ever see Best Of The Post, a 26-episode dramatic anthology, based on stories from the Saturday Evening Post, even though it was filmed in color and hosted by John Conte. It was produced by ITC, so Network would hold the rights to that series.
They don't seem to be very interested in their shows that were produced for the American market. They are very good at responding on their Facebook page so it can't hurt to send them a suggestion.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I've searched around here on HTF and it appears this release slipped under the radar.
Released by ViaVision on April 15, 2022. It's an import but region-free. This is great for anyone who hasn't purchased a single season because now you don't have to order the final Seventh Season and buy a Region-Free player to watch it. Cost averages about $18 bucks per season which is a pretty good deal. I know I paid much more over the years to acquire all seven seasons. The second listing is the even less expensive Region 2 UK Import.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Complete Series $130.37

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Complete Series, Opens in a new tab

Import Region 2
Alfred Hitchcock Presents $109.69

Alfred Hitchcock Presents [Import anglais], Opens in a new tab

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Bob, we really do track the same way on both our TV show interests, and our film interests. I can’t think of one TV Show, post-1970, that could be released on DVD that I would purchase. And I believe the same is true for any film, post-1960, that I would really want to purchase. My sweet spot for films is 1935-1954.

Gary “right now Ozzie & Harriet is the only TV show announced that I have any priority collecting going forward“ O.
I would buy a release of San Francisco Beat, aka The Lineup

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I would buy a release of San Francisco Beat, aka The Lineup
201 episodes. That was a long running 50s show which is even scarcer than 50s Dragnet. Both shows were long running staples but neither ever aired in the videotaping era and neither have ever been transferred from film. Unless there's a change of philosophy at Paramount, any shows which don't have transfers already have zero chance of seeing the light of day.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
201 episodes. That was a long running 50s show which is even scarcer than 50s Dragnet. Both shows were long running staples but neither ever aired in the videotaping era and neither have ever been transferred from film. Unless there's a change of philosophy at Paramount, any shows which don't have transfers already have zero chance of seeing the light of day.
Yeah, but the topic was, what series would you buy? That is one I would buy if it somehow became available.

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lutz
The show was pleasant disarming fun, aided by the great chemistry and byplay between Warden as the private eye causing trouble for his upscale lawyer son John Rubenstein by getting him involved with his cases. Great location shooting in San Francisco helped and the show usually had some great veteran stars of TV's golden age of the 60s-70s in guest shots.

The show originally aired on Sunday nights after "Murder She Wrote" and was a hit. But then CBS decided it wanted to air a movie after "Murder She Wrote" and banished "Crazy Like A Fox" to a death slot opposite "Dynasty" which got it cancelled. But a lot of fans were upset by how the network had basically sabotaged the show and their protests did result in a TV-movie "Still Crazy Like A Fox" that aired in 1987 which fans hoped would be the start-up to a revival, but it sadly wasn't to be.

I have three episodes I taped myself from CBS airings as well as a couple from when Philadelphia Channel 29 was airing them in 1992 (plus the "Still Crazy Like A Fox" film). But I want the whole run!
The show is currently running in an endless loop on the "Great TV" channel in the UK at a rate of 6 episodes a week which makes it a fast way to get the whole run. I just finished the two seasons and I agree that it should have had a much longer run.
Last January they even had the "Still Crazy..." TV movie which is nice but I just wish they had stayed in San Francisco instead of shooting it in England, I miss the wonderful SF location work.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The show is currently running in an endless loop on the "Great TV" channel in the UK at a rate of 6 episodes a week which makes it a fast way to get the whole run. I just finished the two seasons and I agree that it should have had a much longer run.
Last January they even had the "Still Crazy..." TV movie which is nice but I just wish they had stayed in San Francisco instead of shooting it in England, I miss the wonderful SF location work.
I just watched the pilot episode of Jake and the Fatman, in which Rubenstein plays a very prominent role. Interestingly, his character is pretty much the moral opposite of his Crazy Like a Fox character. (not really a spoiler as this is revealed very early in the episode). He plays a speechwriter with an obsessive devotion to a political candidate's campaign (Robert Reed/Mike Brady).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks