What's new

Is my TV too dark? (1 Viewer)

Clint B

Second Unit
Hi. I feel foolish for asking this because I think I should know better, but I need to know if my TV is set too dark. I've got a 27" WEGA that has been calibrated, in total darkness, with AVIA. The picture and brightness settings are each at about 40%. For many movies, this is OK, but for movies like Harry Potter (admittedly a darkly lit film in some instances), it seemed a bit dark in spots (sometimes I couldn't see characters' faces when I think I was meant to see them). Anyway, I know you can't see my TV, but is 40% about right for this TV, or is it too dark? Also, is it OK to "push it" to 50% for movies that are dark, like Harry Potter or parts of the Godfather? Thanks for your help!

PS: This probably goes without saying, but I watch my movies in total darkness because I calibrated the TV in total darkness.

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
Set your Sony to Movie Mode or Pro Mode then check black level, Color, Hue, and Sharpness. Leave Picture Control Alone.

If you can't see faces (picture information) that's too dark.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Of course you should not be watching a directview in total darkness. A backlight is usually recommended to reduce eyestrain.

Regards

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
That sounds too dark to me. All I can tell you is that I calibrated my tv with the THX optomizer that is found on some DVDs your probably already own. I know for a fact that these movies have the THX optomizer on their feature disk. Phantom Menace, Clone Wars, Unbreakable, Sixth Sense, Signs, and Tron: 25th Anniversary.

Go to the test which shows the grey scales at the top and bottom of the screen. Calibrate your screen to that scale and see what happens. Please let me know how it turns out. :)

Dan.b

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Sorry to even mention this but when you calibrate your TV, make sure you do it in the normal viewing scenario with respect to the room's ambient light. In other words, if you calibrate in total darkness but watch 90% of your material with light in the room, it will seem too dim/dark.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If your TV allows saving multiple settings, then you should consider calibrating it for multiple lighting conditions, if you can spare it. Also, as Michael_TLV pointed out, it's not a good idea to watch a direct-view, especially a smaller one, in total darkness.

And I would not use the THX Optimode on movie DVDs if you already have the Avia disc. Avia works better for general DVD viewing. The THX Optimode is optimized for the specific DVD it comes w/, which is not ideal for general DVD viewing.

_Man_

Clint B

Second Unit
Thanks, everyone. I guess it's time to pull out AVIA again. I've heard about the backlighting recommendation, but I don't really know where to begin there. I've got a pretty small room (about 12 X 10) and a limited amount of wall space (only about 45" or so). Do you have any suggestions for backlighting with something that's cheap and small? Thanks again.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I suggested the THX optomizer because it seemed clear that his AVIA disk had his brightness way too low. So, the THX might get it to a normal range.

Also, I have yet to notice any differences with the THX optomizer on different DVDs. As far as i've seen they are the same on every disk.

Dan.b

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Clint,

Cheap and small and gets lit up? Sounds like me.... :)

I bought an $8 GE fluorescent fixture at Home Depot. Came with an 18" 6500k bulb. Works for me.

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks