What's new

Is my TV dying? (1 Viewer)

Bryan_d

Grip
I currently own a 32" direct view Mitsubishi CS-32207 1997 model television and yesterday while watching the picture would appear to become shadowed, whites seemed to turn orangish in color, and the picture seems to bend at certain points on the screen. i thought it was the tv channel but i then checked other channels and then dvd sources with the same result. It does not stay like this it comes and goes and today it did not seem to be any better maybe worse. I purchased the TV in 2000 from a retail store where i was employed so i know it was running there on average 12 hours a day 6 days a week. I am expecting the worst and wanted to see if any one here could assist me with an answer to my problem. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

My bet is a 'bad solder joint'. Looking at the bottom of the circuit board, you'll probably see a 'black ring' around a lead from a component over near the flyback transformer. I used to just scrub the area with rubbing alcohol, gently scrape the varvish off the tracings and lead and resolder. Good Luck. :)

Bryan_d

Grip
Would a complete electronics novice be able to handle such a task and if did attempt it is there some reference material that would help me identify a flyback transformer or any other part i may encounter. Thanks for the help so far though.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Bryan, I wouldn't start poking around inside the Mitsu's chassis. Very, very dangerous, even when unplugged.

Bryan_d

Grip
So would it therefore be worthwhile for me to take it to get serviced. I only paid $100 for the tv and would hate spending more on the repairs than what it cost me or is this incorrect thinking on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks