What's new

Is my center channel too high? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I recently mounted a shelf on the wall, behind my RPTV.

I mounted the shelf and center channel such that the speaker is about 6 feet high from the ground.

My listening position or ears are about 3.5 feet from the ground when I'm sitting. The tweeter on my floorstanding speakers is about the same height.

Now, I do have my center angled downward to the point where its aiming at my face.

Is this an issue?

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

Not if it sounds okay to you!

The "rule" is that all front speakers should be as close to the same height as possible and near ear height. But aiming the center at the seating position will help. You might also tweak the delay time / distance parameter. But if dialog seems "attached" to the image okay then that's what matters.

Matt Rohr

Agent
I am going to have to agree. You are supposed to have everything at ear level. If it must be mounted any other way, have a friend adjust it while you are sitting at the focal point.:emoji_thumbsup:

Bobby_K

Grip
to elaborate on what Matt said, have a friend position the speakers while you sit in the "sweet spot"

and here is my 2 cents, as silly as it sounds.
Close your eyes! or better yet, blindfold yourself, and get comfortable. Play some music that taps each range of your speakers, and have your friend slowly move them up and down, you will know when its in the right spot. You will truly be amazed how much easier it is to hear when the speakers are in the right spot when you eliminate sight from the equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks