What's new

Is jar jar binks going to be in episode 2 alot, or just here and there ya think? (1 Viewer)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I've looked over the Star Wars threads just to see the responses. 95% of them are negative by my estimation. Most of it is whining and complaining. I don't mind constructive criticism at all. But Robert, don't you agree that the constant whining, and constant negativity in every Star Wars thread here is ridiculous and completely overblown? I mean, why can't anyone discuss some of the positive aspects of Star Wars? Nobody ever does that. They find every little thing they can find to complain about. It's completely ridiculous. They hate Lucas, or Lucas sucks, or the SE sucks, or TPM sucks. It's that kind of mentality over and over and over. It gets old.

That's why I contend that when Episode II comes out, no matter how good it may or may not be, many here will rape it because iit's not the originals. Well you know what, it isn't the originals and they should be judge according to the originals. It's a completely different story set in a completely different time, made 16 years after the last Star Wars movie. Judge them on their own and stop trying relive your childhood through these movies. Your childhood is over. That's my advice to all Star Wars fans.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Terrell,
I admire your dogged defense of SW. I love the SW trilogy, and I did enjoy TPM very much. But you have to understand that I have valid concerns about the direction GL has gone. I do not feel as strongly as RobertR, but I completely respect his opinion. From Carlo to Seth, to you and Jeff F., we run the gamut of opinions here. Not just bashers and lovers. Don't lump us like that. I have a lot of faith in AOTC. That doesn't change the fact that BAD changes were made to the OT.
And lastly...
Judge them on their own and stop trying relive your childhood through these movies. Your childhood is over. That's my advice to all Star Wars fans.
I saw a movie recently that made me feel like ESB did when I was a little kid:) It can be done.
Take care,
Chuck
P.S. Fincher is still the bomb:p)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
No Robert, but it's gets old listening to people hammer Lucas and constantly whine and moan like babies about Lucas and Star Wars. Rarely a positive word. No, TPM wasn't as good as the originals. But even if it was, I doubt anyone would admit it. Whatever the reason, I'm tired of arguing about Star Wars, and I've only been here about a week. So I'm gonna stay out of these constantly negative Star Wars and Lucas threads. That's the only way to not have to deal with them.

Thanks for the points of view. At least the LOTR gets not a negative word said about it. Opposite ends of the spectrum I guess.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
it's gets old listening to people hammer Lucas and constantly whine and moan like babies about Lucas and Star Wars.
Quite the contrary, I see quite a bit of intelligent, ADULT, insightful film analysis in the threads.
Perhaps it would be best if you chose to ignore the threads and stopped whining about the "whining" :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
...people hammer Lucas and constantly whine and moan like babies about Lucas and Star Wars.
I can only suppose that includes me because I did not praise the SE's on here. I've never even bashed Jar Jar. My only complaint about TPM (and I admit it was a big one) was the introduction of midi-chlorians.

If it makes you feel better, all of the "whining" is only because we care. Nobody takes the time out to bash Glitter, because no one cares. LOTR is getting it's fair share of criticism over on it's discussion thread.

I don't think it is fair to generalize our discussion. I can only assume you haven't read through the 8 pages on the "Greedo shooting first thread." Lots of insight into the power of the OT. Oh well, people will hear what they want to hear and assume the worst.

Take care,

Chuck

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Terrell, the scene has Obi-Wan telling Anakin "How many times have I told you not to fly"...electrocution...(while shaking and speaking with the shaking voice) "through a power coupling."
I believe Jar-Jar even was also electrocuted by a "power coupling".
Do I really have to go through the 1000's of great jokes in the OT to explain quality humor over childish humor? Plus, I've said a million times that one joke in TPM that I liked was "Well, you were right about one thing, the negotiations WERE short." I also mentioned that the little robot at Watto's was rather funny, despite Jar-Jar.
Finally, from the trailer (Mystery, btw) there is a GREAT joke. Not surprisingly it's given by the best actor in the NT, Ewan.
"I've come to rescue you."
(Obi looks up at his chained wrists)
"Good job"
That's funny. That's classic Star Wars sarcasm and playfulness between characters. This trailer does have more Ewan and I think that's a good thing. He reminds me of Ford in these films. He can play funny and tough equally well. Liam couldn't find funny if it bounced off his head.
Hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe that scene is a scary moment and not supposed to be a joke. If so then maybe this film is back on track to the classic formula/style of the OT.
I can't begin to tell you how much I pray that it is.
BTW, speaking of SW humor. LOTR has plenty of similar moments as the OT which drew huge laughs as well. It's definately a crowd-pleasing style of humor and something I think whomever was responsible for (Lucas, others, both) should be highly commended for.
One of my favorite OT jokes...
"And I thought they smelled bad...(beat to inflection)...ON the outside." :D
I even think Jar-Jar could have been great, just if he had been given some DIGNITY.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
BTW, Terrell, don't sweat the debates.

Walk into some other thread and you might find Robert and I on the opposite ends of things.

It happens all the time. The key is to not see it as a "me vs you" thing. Not that there aren't people here like that, but the old-timers for the most part really do just want to discuss the issues and have usually thought the subjects through quite a bit.

I just think of the Top 10 of 2000 thread. Even among the constantly involved members there was a wide range of opinions. 2 guys loved 6 films the same, yet completely disagreed on the other 4 each had in their list, etc.

The best thing about discussing here is that rather than just sitting back with "I liked it" or "I didn't like it" we try to figure out WHY. It makes me appreciate filmmaking 5 times as much as I used to.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I think Chuck and RobertR have a point, in that the complaining and bashing comes out because we consider ourselves fans of the genre. So as long as the discussion stays articulate and 'adult' in nature (I believe it has, do you?), I see no reason to get upset or offended over it. So as long as we express things as opinion and continue to explain the reasons we approve/disapprove of a change or minor aspect of a SW movie, then I can't see how someone could label it 'whining.'
If you want to hear real whining, visit Usenet for a little while. You get 'starwar$$ suck$ A$$, no your stupid cause jar jar is dumb, ther ing Rooooolzzz$$**' or 'no cause it just sucked, dats all you need da know beeeyyaaac'
(shudder) I mean, yuch!
[rant]That[/rant] is whining, b***hing and complaining. :D Here on the TF we have a remarkably articulate and intelligent community, and I'm proud to be able to state my opinion here without being slammed for it.
While I'll admit that a lot of repeated bashing (ie. it's not making a point, it's just trolling) bothers me, I try to state my opinion on a film if it is supporting an important POV or part of a larger argument or debate.
In the case of SW and LOTR, we are talking about minor things that keep us from being able to enjoy the film(s). The difference with the OT, however, is we are irritated not by minor aspects of the films, but by ommissions and changes that have been made after the fact that make it less enjoyable. Our argument is: "It was done this way already, why can't we have the option to see it that way?"
I think it's a valid question.
Cheers,
Joseph

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Also, as this thread is slightly derailed, let me put some focus back on there, at least to the point where it might have derailed.

I was only pointing out that it's possible to have JAR JAR HUMOR without Jar Jar. So the fear shouldn't be whether he is in the film a lot or not, but rather how the whole thing is written.

And I think it's possible to have Jar Jar without the poorly written dialog/character/jokes. If he is helpful and competitent I will be thrilled.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This is probably the best outpouring of emotions regarding 'SW' threads i've ever read!
Let me add my log to the fire, I liked Jar Jar. I liked the way he just sorta stumbled into all this trouble, and in the end, he did make himself useful by helping overthrow the droid army, o.k. maybe in an "OOPS! Did I do that?" sorta way but he wasn't totally useless to the film.
Now, that being said, let me tell you what I DIDN'T like about him, his voice. I think that Ahmed Best was great at making him move and giving him charactor and personality, but his voice just has to go IMO. Now, call me nut's, but I think it's pretty important to an audience to, duh, be able to understand what a charactor is saying! I don't know, i'm funny that way I guess.:) I think that in the entire film, I caught and understood about 30% of his dialogue, but I think i'm being generous in that estimation.
As for the entire series of films so far, I LOVE THEM ALL! I don't expect each film to be the same as the one before it, I like this series because each one has somthing to offer. I'm not going to touch the 'SE's', i'm just talking about the movies themselves in general.
I found 'EP I' to be a great addition to the series, it felt right at home with the others IMO. And I didn't trouble myself with thoughts of "Well, this isn't right, or that isn't right, WHAT! That makes no sense!" in regards to 'EP I's' relation to the other films, because the film was just such a blast to watch! And besides, I took comfort in knowing that in the end, when all the films are done, all the pieces of the puzzle will fall into place and they will all fit together very nicely.
I have faith in George Lucas.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I agree completely Seth. It is possible to have Jar Jar humor without Jar Jar. However, I don't consider the power couplings scene anywhere near Jar Jar humor. That's essentially where we disagree.

Why do I say I'm gonna withdraw from this thread when I knew I wasn't going to.

Joseph, I agree with your statements, but it's gotten to the point here where a newcomer would think every hates Lucas and Star Wars. But everyone does state their complaints eloquently. It just seems from my perspective that many aren't going to like anything Lucas does or puts on screen, including AOTC. Believe it or not you already have people saying they think AOTC will suck based on 2 minutes of footage. I personally don't see how anyone could not like what was seen from the trailers. But I guess it's just me.

And Chuck, I didn't say you had to like the SEs. All I'm saying is there seems to be very little positive comments about Lucas or Star Wars. That's my only point. About every thread, and I've been lurking here for a couple of months, about every thread is mostly negative. And there are plenty of threads. You want me to understand your points, but you have to understand mine as well. And surely you can see there hasn't been much positive talk at all about Star Wars, period. Nobody seems to be happy with anything Lucas does. first it was the SEs, then it was slamming Lucas for not putting out a DVD, then it was TPM, then it was Lucas didn't put DTS on TPM DVD. It seems to never stop.

Oh well, I guess we don't understand each other's point and there's no point in continuing the argument. We're going around in circles.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I must say that I abhorred the bad aspects of TPM (Jake Lloyd's acting, Jar Jar to an extent) but I think the humor so far in the Episode II trailers is great! Both the power coupling joke and the rescue you joke were very funny, and fit in perfectly with the original trilogy. That was the kind of stuff Han brought to the screen, and I always welcome a little of Han's personality. Things like the toolbox falling onto Han's head when he's fixing the hyperdrive in the asteroid field in ESB..."OWW!! Chewie!". I mean, that's somewhat slapstick, but it WORKS. Just like I feel McGregor's perfect delivery of "p-power..c-co-ouplings.." works. Incidentally, I was disappointed with Hayden's delivery in the most recent trailer, but now that I've seen it on the big screen with bigger sound, it seems alright. I don't really mind it at all. Things are looking up for Episode II, it could be as great as we want it to be.

-Tom

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, I would have taken Jar Jar out, or at the very least would have made him a more serious character. What bothered me about Jar Jar more than his bumbling, was the stupid voice they gave him. Why not give him and the other Gungans a voice that could be understood rather easily. Other than that though, I thoroughly enjoyed TPM. Absolutely fun ride, and if you reall watch closely, there are some intriguing plot details and moments in TPM.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
'starwar$$ suck$ A$$, no your stupid cause jar jar is dumb, ther ing Rooooolzzz$$**' or 'no cause it just sucked, dats all you need da know beeeyyaaac'
I haven't laughed that hard in a while:D And then I felt bad, because those guys stole my thunder.
Beeeeeeeeeyoooooooootch,
Chuck

ShaneP

Stunt Coordinator
I find it amusing that all Star Wars discussions end up picking the films (and their not-so special editions) apart in one way or another. It is just my hope that with TPM, the quality of script has hit bottom. I mean really, could it get worse? - Don't answer that, it was retorical - We can discuss the result in about 3-1/2 years. Now, if I can just make it to May 16th...

Shane

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
Well check out the trailer and enjoy Obi-Wan telling Anakin to "watch out for (insert Lucas sci-fi jargon here)". Then they fly through them anyway and the results are some terribly corny shaking and babbling with electrocution straight out of Inspector Gadget or something. Just like a Jar-Jar moment.
apparently you didnt watch the same trailer as me...the one I saw didn't project a comedic "Jar Jar moment"...that scene showed me that anakin is going to have a streak of reckless abandon and does things his way...I guess your hatred for anything george lucas jades your opinions though

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks