What's new

Is jar jar binks going to be in episode 2 alot, or just here and there ya think? (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
According to Lucasfilm rep Steve Sansweet, Jar Jar only has about 5 minutes of total screen time in AOTC. You see him in the beginning and ending. He's only seen on Coruscant.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
His official title is Represenative Jar Jar Binks of the Gungans.

Senator Padme Amidala is the primary politician from the planet Naboo, but Jar Jar has become a well respected member of the Senate over the past 10 years.

Jar Jar's character is said to be (again by Sansweet) much more adult oriented this time out, and is actually somewhat regal. This I gotta see.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It would be good news if I hadn't seen his jokes moved to different characters.

Remember his electrocuting himself and his horrible Bill Cosby routine rip-off in TPM?

Well check out the trailer and enjoy Obi-Wan telling Anakin to "watch out for (insert Lucas sci-fi jargon here)". Then they fly through them anyway and the results are some terribly corny shaking and babbling with electrocution straight out of Inspector Gadget or something. Just like a Jar-Jar moment.

See, the problem wasn't Jar-Jar, it was his 5 year old joke material. Fozzy Bear had better gags than this stuff.

My early trailer viewings had me hopeful, but upon seeing the follow-up trailer several times I started to notice that it looks to have very similar content after all.

Color me frustrated.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well check out the trailer and enjoy Obi-Wan telling Anakin to "watch out for (insert Lucas sci-fi jargon here)". Then they fly through them anyway and the results are some terribly corny shaking and babbling with electrocution straight out of Inspector Gadget or something. Just like a Jar-Jar moment.
Seth. I totally don't get your point. That's the kind of scene reminiscient of the original movies and their humor. That scene is absolutely nothing like Jar-Jar in any way. Some people will never be happy I guess. That said, I'm glad to have seen Jar Jar grow up.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
The new movie should start with the following set-up:

Jar Jar Binks.

On edge of cliff.

Falls.

Dies.

Or, better yet, slowly feed him feet first into a combine.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Because when did Han or anyone do 3 Stooges physical gags in the OT?

That's the type of joke it is here. The closest we got was R2D2 doing some shocking or being shocked, in which case there was no corny dialog setup to the moment and the reaction was a realistic "jump" away from the electricity.

It's the style of humor here, not that there are jokes period.

How is it not EXACTLY like the moment when JJ gets shocked and then starts talking with a numb tongue. Instead here they are humorously shaking (no pain) and talking in the funny "I'm shaking" voices.

I can be satisfied. Give me more sly remarks like "You're right about one thing, the negotiations were short."

Heck I even could enjoy the physical gag of the little bot run amock at Watto's.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Seth, that scene is not at all reminiscient of Jar Jar's scene. First off, they don't run through the scene talking with their tongue hanging out for 3 minutes trying to be funny like Jar Jar. Second, since when did every moment in Star Wars have to be so serious? It seems to me that the longer it has been since the OT, the more distorted people's memories of those movies become.

Seth, I think you're wrong on this one. That scene is not similar to Jar Jar. That is not a 3 Stooges gag either. I don't know what scene you saw, but I didn't see anything all that silly, and certainly nothing 3 Stoogish. They also aren't humorously shaking. They are going through the scene shaking from being shocked, and it wasn't all that humorous.

I can already see it coming. This movie is gonna get raped simply because it's Star Wars, no matter what's put up onscreen. People are gonna find the least little thing they can to complain about. C'mon Seth, lighten up. If that scene bothers you that much, then you aren't gonna be happy with anything Lucas puts on the screen. Just the way I see it.

I just wish for once, that someone here would put up a post saying something positive about Star Wars rather than the constant "this sucks" or "that looks horrible." Guess that will never happen. The only positive thread I've seen is about the 6 year old watching Star Wars for the first time.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
The only positive thread I've seen is about the 6 year old watching Star Wars for the first time.
And even that thread has it's share of negative vibes, mostly relating to the Special Editions and The Phantom Menace.
It's sad that so many people are so negative about a series of movies that is so wonderful.
And before anyone says anything, I do not want to get into another useless Star Wars is good, Star Wars sucks discussion. I think we've had enough of those lately.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, I respect Seth's opinion, I just don't agree with his depiction or memory of that scene. But I guess we interpret things differently. Doesn't mean he's wrong. I think it's good to have some light moments in a Star Wars flick. That's what makes them great.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I agree with Terrell and Jeffrey. The web-trailer seems to evoke the spirit of Star Wars as well as have a few nods to Indiana Jones, not the 3 Stooges.

The way I see it is, Jar Jar may have been a bit too much in part 1, but if he ends up being older and a little more mature in 2 and 3, then so what? He is not in the last half of the story, so who cares?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's sad that so many people are so negative about a series of movies that is so wonderful.
Correction:

People say negative things about deleterious changes to a wonderful series of movies. BIG difference, Jeff, and one you find either impossible to comprehend or choose to blur over because you're uncomfortable dealing with the reality of what's happened to SW. It is utterly false to claim or imply that anyone who criticizes Lucas hates SW.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I'm a big Star Wars fan.

It struck this morning while I was reading the responses in the first time Star Wars thread: I know why the sense of wonder was absent for me from The Phantom Menace!

I already know how the story will end.

I was so excited when Jedi finally came out in '83. We would learn if what Vader said was true! We'd find out what happened to Han! What kind of momentum does Phantom Menace have to build on? What questions is it answering for us? I think that the problem is that we know the answers to the questions being set up in TPM, and as a result it just isn't as exciting or engaging.

Likewise, part of my reaction to Luka's first viewing of Star Wars was to become excited about scenes that I know inside out, to be nervous again about what comes next...it was wonderful, and very refreshing. Let me tell you, I am thrilled at the prospect of watching Empire with him, especially since he has already met Annakin in TPM and knows him only as a nice, talented young Jedi-in-training. That additional emotional investment will really heighten the punch of Empire's climactic revelation...and I'm a little jealous that I wasn't offered that by the original trilogy.

It makes me almost wonder if the films should be seen out of order for maximum effectiveness, with TPM first, followed by ANH, ESB and ROTJ, and then followed up with AOTC and episode 3 as an explanatory coda...?

I did enjoy many elements of the SE films, and while I disliked some of the changes (notably Jabba in ANH and the Han/Greedo thing), I both understand the motivation behind them and still love the films with these (IMO) flaws. I also relished the chance to see these films on the big screen again.

Part of my motivation in showing Luka the non-SEs rather than the SEs is a desire on my part to relive my childhood experience with Star Wars. The changes to the special editions, even the changes I would consider good and beneficial to the films, draw me back out of the experience as I notice their newness, not allowing me to be as fully immersed in the films as I had been in the past. I think that this is true for a lot of people, and sparks their dislike for the SEs.

Anyhow, I love Star Wars, I did thoroughly enjoy TPM, and I'm looking forwards to AOTC...but still, the burning desire to know what happens next that filled me after seeing Empire is just not there. I know how the story ends.

I will still enjoy finding out the rest of how it gets there.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
People say negative things about deleterious changes to a wonderful series of movies. BIG difference, Jeff, and one you find either impossible to comprehend or choose to blur over because you're uncomfortable dealing with the reality of what's happened to SW
You state this as if this was absolute fact, when it is nothing more than just your opinion. There are many of us who genuinely enjoyed TPM. I object to your insinuation that fans of TPM are in a state of denial that's it's a "bad" movie.

And yes, I liked Jar-Jar and his antics. Being an awkward and clumsy person myself, I can readily identify with him. I believe that there is this mean spirited instinct in people to pick on those that are different or don't fit in, which can be seen in the overwhelming anti Jar-Jar sentiment today.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
OPINION said:
I agree that it's overwhelming (which should tell people something). I disagree that people's motives are what you claim they are.

Gruson

Second Unit
Seth, I for one agree with you.

We will never have a Star Wars movie that will be as good as any in the original trilogy.

It is a different time now. Movies are different and so is Lucas.

I still liked Episode 1 and I am looking forward to Episode 2 but they cannot touch the original trilogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks