What's new

Is it possible to connected a sub to a certain speaker? (1 Viewer)

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Hi Guys,

It's me again with my newbie questions!

I am really not impressed with the range of my Center Speaker, and instead of buying a brand new one, I was wondering if it was possible to connected a POWERED sub to it? The center speaker I have now has the range of 75-20Khz, and my sub has the range of 35-140Hz. So...I was wondering, if I would be able to hook up the sub to the center speaker, I could do the cross-over at 80, and it would sound like a full range speaker. Am I totally insane? I really have no idea how to do this, or if it is even able to be done.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, the main speakers & the rear speakers are all tower speakers that have 15" speakers for bass, which is why I wanted more bass in my center channel without buying another tower for the center.

The back of the sub that I want to hook up has these connections:

Speaker L/R in

Speaker L/R out

I would immagine that I could hook up the center channel speaker to the "Speaker In" on the back of the sub, but then it would not longer be a CENTER speaker because it would not longer be hooked up to the back of the receiver.

Sorry for the long post, any help would be appreciated.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Personally I don’t like full-range center channel information. The problem is, there are too many programs where the vocals were recorded with poorly-EQ’s mics and there is a lot of unnatural and irritating “bassy-ness” to the dialog.

But if you want to try it, it can’t hurt. The receiver’s “Center Speaker” terminals will connect to the sub’s “Speaker In” terminals. The center channel speaker will connect to the sub’s “Speaker Out” terminals. You can use either left or right on the sub; just be consistent.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
As Wayne pointed out you could try this certainly.
I, for a period of time ran a full-range center via ~{powered sealed sub}~ as your inquiring about.
At first with some experimentation with the crossover and volume, I liked it. Action movies caught me by suprise with how much low bass content will start their and move across the room. It was interesting and different from what I was a-custom too.
But just as Wayne said, I began to notice just what Wayne pointed out. On well recorded stuff it worked well, but on many DVD's ~{vocals}~ and in particular, male voices sounded nasty, clouded, and unatural. The quality of the sub you run can help or hurt this, but in general, many more movies sounded bad than the few I enjoyed. And once you notice it, it really bugs the crap out of you. You will began to listen for it in every thing you watch and torture you to death. Well not torture you, but irratate you endlessly.
Eventually I pulled from the line up, and havent looked back. You certainly could give it a try, as your mileage may vary.
Geoff

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was talking about TV shows, since we watch those more than anything else around here. I’m surprised to hear the same complaint about movies, too. You’d think with their budget they would get it right.

Oh well!

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I hooked it up, just like Wayne said, and only normal bass was coming out of the subwoofer(when listening to music). I had the receiver set to "LARGE" for "Center"...I thought I would be able to hear some of the vocals of the music artist (from the CD) on the sub as well as on the center speaker, but I didn't (even with the cross-over set all the way up, as far as it would go. Maybe I should try it again, but on a movie, OR try setting the speaker to SMALL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks