What's new

Is it okay to set Mini-Monitors and CC-370 to LARGE ???? (1 Viewer)

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys I have a pair of Mini-Monitors v2 and a CC-370 v2 and I wanted to know if it would be okay to set them to LARGE. I have them set to small now and crossover at 60Hz on my Sony DB-940 receiver. I just hesitant about setting them to large do to the fact that I'm afraid of blowing them out. Would it be okay to change it or should I be cautious and leave it???
confused.gif

------------------

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You will be unlikely to blow them with a 940. I turned my SR6200 to +15 (loudest it will go) while set to large and they only had problems with the low end bottoming. I never do this, but I wanted to see if they could take it and how loud they would play. Setting them to large should have no ill effects (I think the Minis sound better for music set to large).
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on October 03, 2001 at 01:36 PM]

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply John, but what do you think about the cc-370 its specs say it extends down to 50hz and its range is 70hz-20khz???
------------------

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think the 370 will be fine also, though I have a 170 whose specs quoted as the same (50Hz / 70-20K) and I run it set to small. I have run it set to large without issue, however I think it sounds better set to small, passing more bass to the sub.
biggrin.gif

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Dan set the 370 and the Mini Monitors to whatever sounds best to you. You will not harm them in the least by setting them to large. Damageing them by setting them as "large" is pretty much a non issue. Enjoy.
Nick

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
Even if the Paradigms can handle the full-range signal, it's almost always better to route the bass to a subwoofer. The subwoofer is almost always capable of producing those frequencies louder, and with less distortion. In addition, you'll probably increase your rated amp power by 50% by setting speakers to SMALL at the 60 Hz point.
Peace and happy listening.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I personally wouldn't set any speaker with a 6.5" woofer to "large." Typically, a "large" speaker is a physically large floorstander with at least one 8" woofer, preferably larger, dedicated to the lower frequencies (e.g. PSB Stratus Goldi (10"), NHT 3.3 (12"), B&W 801 (15"), etc.).
I use to have a Mini Monitor/CC-350 system, and tried both "large" and "small" with an 80hz crossover just for fun. It's not that the Paradigms will explode (provided you have enough power going to them), but that they simply will stop reproducing sound below a certain frequency. With the crossover set to 80hz, the Paradigms sounded much cleaner and clearer. 60hz is probably better since they do have some bass and the lower the crossover, the better integrated the sub becomes, but I wouldn't go any lower than 60hz with these speakers.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks