What's new

Klipsch speakers set Large? (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
I have a pair of Klipsch Reference Premiere Atmos RP-280FA, Frequency response 32-25kHz +/- 3dB with an SVS SB-3000 Sub powered by a Yamaha RX-A3070 A/V receiver. I've read that many people say to set all speakers to small and let the sub do all the work. However, with these big floor standing Klipsch speakers it seems such a waste to set them to small. What frequency cut off other than 80 can I set the floor standing speakers to if I set them to Large?

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks! The cut frequencies on my Yamaha RX-A3070 on the low end are 80, 60 and 40. I set it to 60. I may also give 40 a try. Thanks again!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Setting them to Large involves more than the crossover setting. It also means LFE [Low Freq Effects] data will be sent there. You can do this but there's no practical reason to as bass is considered omnidirectional and you have a more than capable sub. You should also probably take the speaker manufacturers specs with a grain of salt, especially the low claims.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This topic comes up a LOT, and I keep trying to figure out a better way to explain things. There is a range of overlap between your main speakers and your sub. Let's say the rated frequency range of the sub was 20-250Hz. Nobody ever assumes the best crossover to set is at the high extreme of 250Hz, so why assume it should be set to the lowest rated output of the main speakers? You spent money on a good sub so it can reproduce low frequencies. Let it.

So, your speakers claim usable output down to 32Hz and your sub goes up to, just to toss out a number, 250Hz. Probably the best crossover setting is somewhere in the middle, not at either extreme.

First off, in my experience, always set all the speakers to small. I don't care how low your main speakers claim to go, you bought a sub for a reason. Then, my suggestion is to look at the rated response of your L&R speakers (John Dirk is correct about these being unreliable) and start with the crossover set at 3x the low frequency -3dB spec. So, if it's 32, that's 96. Set the closest one. Live with it a while. As in, a couple weeks. If you hear localization from the sub, or a sense that it's getting "sloppy" sounding, drop the crossover to the next lower frequency. Live with that for a while. Try moving the sub around while doing this. Just get it out of your mind that setting the crossover higher is somehow wasting your main speakers. What you might be doing is wasting the benefits of your sub.

Generally, an ideal setting seems to fall somewhere between 2x and 3x the -3dB low frequency spec of your speakers. A lot of subs, especially poorly designed ones, will get sloppy much above or at 100Hz, but a good one like the SVS SB-3000 won't ever do that. Do not hesitate to try a 100Hz crossover with that sub.

I suspect your best crossover setting will be 80 or 100Hz.

Let the sub do its job.

There's also probably an LPF for LFE setting. There's valid arguments for turning that up all the way to the highest frequency, even though 120Hz is the default, and it's unlikely anything above that will make any difference. It also won't hurt anything.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks