What's new

Audyssey mt32.. and speaker setting(largevssmall) (2 Viewers)

Tibornagy

Agent
Real Name
Tibor nagy
I'm running avr3500x. Klipsch rf3lls mains 5.1.2. rc3ll center.. and two rs311 surronds. Klipsch ceiling speakers for the height channel. Svs isdn dual 12. Quick question. When listening to two channel source like general music. Sound is only output to the fronts, no sub. I went thru the settings and audsyeys has it set as large speakers. I was easily able to change the bass to lfe+ main. I'll likely just leave it the way audyssey set it. But my question is would I be better off setting the mains to small with a 80hz crossover? And to top it off it has the ceiling height speaker to large also. I found that strange. What do you guys think change them all to.small? Or leave it as audyssey decided.

Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Calibration has a history of doing odd things with the large/small setting. Personally, I set all speakers to small, even full range ones. Ceiling speakers should most definitely be small. So, definitely change those to small, and make sure the surrounds are small as well. Like I said, I prefer small all the way around, and your receiver should have the option to set the crossover individually for each speaker.

Tibornagy

Agent
Real Name
Tibor nagy
Yeah that kinda what I was thinking. Everything else was small except the mains and ceiling Atmos speakers. If I recall it had 80hz set as cross over for the speakers set to small.. with the mains set as small. I should get bass out of the sub for stereo content(music) or do I need to choose.. lfe+main? Does changing to small screw up audyssey settings?

Thanks for quick reply

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Changing the speakers to small will not mess up Audyssey. It can be fine tuned. It's not perfect, obviously.

Wanna hear something scandalous? I don't use room correction.

Tibornagy

Agent
Real Name
Tibor nagy
You think set everything to just 80hz crossover? Or set them to just above what they can handle?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh, that's a complicated issue. But, sure, start with that.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I tend to suggest doubling the -3dB point of the speaker as a starting point, but nobody ever wants to listen to that. It's based in sound logic, but that's not what people want.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, 70 or 80. Whichever. Try 80, and if the sub seems to sound a little sloppy (it probably won't) then drop it to 70 and see what that does.

JWC1969

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, 70 or 80. Whichever. Try 80, and if the sub seems to sound a little sloppy (it probably won't) then drop it to 70 and see what that does.

Set all speakers to small. THX recommends 80 crossover. Always works fine for me. Do NOT use LFE +main! You should be good to go. Regarding Audyssey, some tips: it usually sets the center too low and the surround too high. I like to tweak them accordingly (which does NOT mess with the overall Audyssey settings). Also, it's critical to get the sub correct so that the sub amp is doing the heavy lifting rather than the AVR. Check out this great article on dialing in sub via Audyssey from our friends at AVS, especially the section "Where and How to Add Bass" (specifically the point where he talks about amp power and banks):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-...bwoofer-calibration-bass-preferences.html#IIB

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Audyssey doesn't necessarily set the center and surrounds wrong, it's just not your preference. "Technically" they should be correct (or your mic placement wasn't optimal).

Audyssey passes along to the AVR what it finds. The AVR then decides what to do withe speakers. In many cases that means they get set to large. It is usually best to set them to small.

FWIW - When I play music I generally disable all sound correction and listen solely from my front speakers. That is, after all, the only reason I got towers. I know that means bypassing my subs but to me it just sounds better. YMMV.

JWC1969

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Audyssey doesn't necessarily set the center and surrounds wrong, it's just not your preference. "Technically" they should be correct (or your mic placement wasn't optimal).

Audyssey passes along to the AVR what it finds. The AVR then decides what to do withe speakers. In many cases that means they get set to large. It is usually best to set them to small.

FWIW - When I play music I generally disable all sound correction and listen solely from my front speakers. That is, after all, the only reason I got towers. I know that means bypassing my subs but to me it just sounds better. YMMV.

Agree. Saying setting wrong was wrong word. Personally I prefer a bit more center and less surround. All personal preference! Regards!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Plus, the THX spec for crossover is only for THX speakers. There’s a reason receivers have adjustments for so many things. There are an infinite of variations.

JWC1969

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Plus, the THX spec for crossover is only for THX speakers. There’s a reason receivers have adjustments for so many things. There are an infinite of variations.

John, this is wrong. Sorry mate. THX recommendations apply to all speakers. Whether you buy in is absolutely personal taste. There are no things as THX speakers. There are speakers by name a brand that have been certified by the THX quality control program.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sheesh. That’s what I freaking meant. THX certified speakers.

And you’re dead wrong. There is not one best setting that is the same for all speakers. To suggest that is absurd.

Time to move on.

80Hz is a good place to start, though. A lot of people set it too low, but with some combinations higher than 80Hz is ideal.

Last edited:

Tibornagy

Agent
Real Name
Tibor nagy
I broke out my old radio shack sound meter. And went in the manual levels. The fronts and center seemed fine. The surrounds were off but a few db. And the height speakers. Seemed to level out fine on the meter. But I turned them up. Because alot of the time I was standing on the couch to hear if anything was coming out of them. For me they seemed non existent. Maybe that's the point to blend in idk. I think the rear surronds were out of wack because audyssey has you move the mic eight times and I really don't have eight position s to move it to and also the speakers for the rear surrounds are not ideal placement. So I just leveled for where I sit.. regardless I saved the setting before changing anything.. see how it sound s

Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don’t use digital room correction. I use sound treatments and speaker placement to get what I want, set levels with an SPL meter, then do some fine tuning with the EQ to get what I like. I don’t want some program to decide what my system should sound like.

I’s always necessary to tweet the levels from what’s “right” to suit your needs. A lot of people want the center turned up a bit from what’s technically correct, just to help hearing dialog. Especially when you’re older.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMH opinion always set to small unless you have main speakers with large bass drivers!

20191016_152814.jpg

Tibornagy

Agent
Real Name
Tibor nagy
I'm working on the wife for sound treatment s trying to find something that's nice and functional. I leveled everything to about 75 db ..I added a little extra to the sub and the height speakers.. I give it a listen for a while and see what I think. Maybe you can give me some insight here audyssey seemed to turn all the channels down to let's say -2 or -3 except the right rear surround was -6.5. wouldn't it make more sense to work at 0 ? What I am saying is most of the channels we about --6 and -7... So why not leave those just at 0? Seems like it's really going backwards with the levels..I have to turn the volume up to 50 for normal listening volume..seems about overboard

Attachments

• IMG_20200223_173505.jpg
    IMG_20200223_173505.jpg
    917.5 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I broke out my old radio shack sound meter. And went in the manual levels. The fronts and center seemed fine. The surrounds were off but a few db. And the height speakers. Seemed to level out fine on the meter. But I turned them up. Because alot of the time I was standing on the couch to hear if anything was coming out of them. For me they seemed non existent. Maybe that's the point to blend in idk. I think the rear surronds were out of wack because audyssey has you move the mic eight times and I really don't have eight position s to move it to and also the speakers for the rear surrounds are not ideal placement. So I just leveled for where I sit.. regardless I saved the setting before changing anything.. see how it sound s

Thanks

FYI - The 8 positions should all be close to the primary listening position (and your first mic location). They shouldn't be more than a foot or 2 apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks