What's new

Is it bad to leave a subwoofer on all the time? (1 Viewer)

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
Is it bad to leave a subwoofer on all the time? Mine (PSB Subsonic 6) doesn't have an "auto off". Is it OK to leave it on all the time, or should I connect it to my AVR so the sub turns on when the AVR is switched on?

Thanks.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Ditto for me, 7 years. If you have "instant on" or "standby" circuitry in the sub, it is no different than leaving your receiver or TV "on" (in standby) all the time. It is only drawing enough current to run the standby circuitry - just like almost every piece of electronics that has a remote needs to keep the IR sensor active all the time for the remote to be able to turn it "on".

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I don't have an "instant on" or "standby" on my sub, as far as I know. It's either on or off, unless there's a setting in there I'm not sure about.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

What kind of sub is it? Most subs come with a standby mode of some sort, but yours could be an exception. It is usually denoted by a red light on the input panel which changes to green when the sub is "on".

Regardless if it has instant on or not, DO NOT connect the sub to the switched plug on the AVR. That plug is for low power items only and running an amplified sub off that switched outlet is a no no.

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator

Then I geuss that answers it for me - I can't plug it into an AVR. It's a PSB Subsonic 6 (not a 6i). Is this a decent sub? Seems ok to me so far.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Not familiar with that brand or model, but looking at the user's manual online I see that it does have a standby mode (pg. 6 "B. On Indicator Light" description), so you are good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks