What's new

Is Edward Norton overrated? (6 Viewers)

Katre

Auditioning
I've been hearing it from several people lately,that he isnt as good as some people make him out to be,so i was wondering that does he deserve all the credit?As my friend says he's nothing but a one hit wonder.

Just want to know what everyone else here thought.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Ed Norton is one of a handful of actors I trust. He doesn't take easy scripts/roles, and he can act his socks off. He's played the narrator in Fight Club, a possible killer in Primal Fear, a con artist/thief in The Score, a neo-nazi (and then some) in American History X, a Catholic priest in Keeping the Faith (he directed), and Barney in the upcoming Death To Smoochy.

Ballsy choices for a ballsy actor. I love him. If he's in it, I'll see it.

Your results may vary,

Chuck

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
One hit?
Link Removed
I think not. And that's just the awards, never mind enjoyable but not award-winning performances like the character "Worm" in Rounders.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
As my friend says he's nothing but a one hit wonder.
What "hit" is your friend referring to? If assume it's one of Norton's two Oscar-nominated roles (Primal Fear and American History X).
If so, isn't he at least a two-hit wonder? :)
M.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I got nothin' against Norton. I wouldn't rank him as Greatest Ever or anything like that, but he's better than most out there. Fight Club and American History X are two of the few movies I really like from the past few years, partly due to his performance. If he keeps it up, he'll make a big name for himself.

Guy_K

Second Unit
The man has range, playing different characters in almost every film (save Score / Primal Fear). He can do both supporting and leading roles like no other.
The People vs. Larry Flint
Everyone Says I Love You
Rounders
those are some of his underrated roles that he really pulled off with no problems!
He has the 'boy scout' thing going, and he doesn't change his appearance for any of his roles, so some people may think he plays the same character. I can see why people think Cruise is overrated, or Damon, but Norton deserves his praise. :b :emoji_thumbsup:

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think he's overrated. I just don't care for his acting. But it's all subjective. We each have our own. As Chuck said, if Norton is in a film, he'd go see it. I feel that way about Crowe, Pacino, and Harrison Ford. Now, I wouldn't put Harrison Ford at the level of the other two, but he's solid and he's usually in films I like. And I really enjoy his work, with What Lies Beneath being an exception to that rule. Everyone's different and we each have our favorites.:)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
edward norton is my favorite actor. his acting is lightyears better than tom cruise. if he is in a movie, i will watch it, definetely.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Edward Norton is, for me, a "must-see" actor, which means if he's in the movie, I'll go see it, no questions asked.

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I really like Edward Norton. I agree, if he's in it, I'll see it. He has never let me down before. The first movie I saw him in was Primal Fear, I have been hooked since.
Terrell, what'd you think of Harrison in Random Hearts? Just wondering becasue I usually think feel the same way as you: If he's in it, I'll see it. But Random Hearts is my least favorite movie of all time.
Later

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I thought he was solid in the film, but not a film that I cared for. Not my type of film. As for What Lies Beneath, I thought he was good in that, but again, not my style of film.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Edward Norton rules! He has impressed me in every movie i've seen him in, including the films I didn't care for 'Fight Club' and 'American History X'. Those films were very ugly, but Norton was great in them, he always is.
He is consistant, that is something that not many actors can claim. Across the board, he has turned in great performance after great performance, and I don't expect that streak to end anytime soon. As said, he picks his roles very carefully, he is not just another Hollywood drone that will do any role because you throw a big paycheck at him.
Are you sure that your friends weren't referring to the Ed Norton on 'The Honeymooners'?;) Because they clearly were not talking about this very gifted young man.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Maybe upon futher thinking, the reason I don't like Edward Norton is because I despise every film he's been in that I've seen. Maybe it's not him, but the films he's in. American History X, Rounders, and Fight Club were all films I hated.

Any other films he's been in that I can check out. Looks like I'll have to put my theory to the test by checking IMDB to see what other Norton films I can watch.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Terrell, have you seen "The Score" or "Primal Fear"? Great performances.

I love Ed Norton and I also think he is a "must see" actor. Katre what film does your friend think is "the one hit wonder" Norton was in? Primal Fear, The Score, Fight Club, Rounders and American History X are the Ed Norton movies I have seen and I think he was great in all of them.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I forgot about The Score, but will probably give it a chance. As for Primal Fear, I haven't seen that either. So I'll have to check those out to see if I dislike him as much as I thought I did. Maybe it was just those movies.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Katre, wasn't it you that had the thread to rank many actors, including Norton?

As I recall he scored very highly with almost every poster in that thread.

There are always a few people who think anyone's overrated, even De Niro, Pacino, Hoffman, Stewart, Hanks, Bogart, etc. but if the majority doesn't feel that way, then the person can't be "overrated".

After all, isn't the rating based on what everybody thinks on average? Or at least EITHER public or critical consensous. 2 Oscar noms show the critical consensous, and he also seems to be a public darling at least among those who pay attention enough to have noticed him (meaning not Joe and Jane Average).

So this is more like "Who thinks that everyone else is overrating Norton?" I am not one of those people. I'm with the masses on this one. He's hella awesome.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
As Seth put it so elequently...Norton is hella awsome.

I don't think that I've seen a role yet where I thought Norton was sub-par.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
You hated Fight Club?:angry: How is this possible?
Tom, cause I thought it sucked and was boring. Plus, I hate Brad Pitt and never found anything great about his acting. When i say hate, I don't mean personally. I hated the story. I hated the overblown violence, and I'm not a squeamish kind of guy. Seem like nothing more than a glorification of violence. I couldn't stand Pitt's performance. The guy just grates on me. Sort of a thug response I know. But I don't even like talking about that film. You asked, there's your answer.:D
I know, most here loved it, so don't waste time giving me reasons why it's good. There's also someone who hate a popular film. Someone on here probably despises Star Wars, FOTR, and every other big, popular film.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks