What's new

Is Blair Witch 3 going to happen?? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading that the 3rd Blair Witch movie was going to be based on what happened to the Blair Witch in the past and how she came to be. I know the 2nd movie was a dog. So did that kill the project. I thought, if done right, the 3rd movie would be cool.

DaveButcher

Stunt Coordinator
They shoulda stopped at the first. Some movies (most?) REALLY don't need sequels and this was certainly one of them.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I was more hoping not to see a sequel, but a prequel. A good horror film about how the Blair Witch came to be.

DaveButcher

Stunt Coordinator

See to me, the great thing about the first Blair Witch was that it was the best Lovecraft movie that Lovecraft didn't write. I never thought that the "witch" was really some witch, but a evil coming from the forest itself. By making her just a witch that turned bad, takes away from that.

The only reason I can even have that opinion is because the first movie was so vague about what it really was. I just thought it was an extension of an "ancient one".

Again it may just be me, but certain films I just want left alone. I don't want to see a 28 Days Later 2, or a Pulp Fiction 2, Down By Law 2. Even though I'm sure you could get good stories out of all the above, I just think some things should be left to be what they are.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "sequel-hater", some movies (X-Men) can clearly benefit from sequels, and others don't (The Godfather, I may risk eternal animosity, but they shoulda just left it at one). Did you know they tried to make a sequel to Casablanca? How lucky are we that that didn't happen?!

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
A good "almost explanation" of the Blair Witch is in the first of the PC Blair Witch games. Not only is the game freaky as hell, but it kind of makes the witch a kind of evil force in the forest (tied into Native American mysticism too if I remember correctly) rather than just some old witch.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The enigmatic nature (and the clever on-line promotional) of the first film helped it IMO to rise to a level of myth in that required the viewer to actually use their imagination and interject their own fears into what was not shown (whether by intention of the filmmakers or not), which made it much more scary then it had a right to be...at least for those audience members who actually had an imagination.

In a way I think the desire to see "her" tale is actually a need by some viewers who felt let down by not being given the "money shot" at the end of the first film as they have been trained to expect this sort of payoff by the hollywood mainstream of films...I don't know if this applies to the thread starter or not but for quite a few of the people who keep asking for this prequel I'll bet it is a major factor.

Let it be as far as I am concerned...but in any case wasn't the second film a flop? That might stop any possible prequel right there no matter what your personal feeling on the films are.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The original film is my fifth favorite film of all time, and it is also the most frightening film I've ever witnessed. I really don't want a prequel, because I'm sure they'd insist on showing Kedward since it'd be the story of what happened to her and all. I don't want to see her. The original is a film that uses the fear of the unknown to the best effect possible, and showing the witch at all would lessen the mythology's impact.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I still think the last scene when we see the guy in the corner of the room right before the movie ends. To be some scary (bleep)!

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Yup, people can dislike the movie, but there is no way you can say the ending wasn't disturbing. The only thing I didnt like about the original was the excesive cussing. Other than that, you can't deny that you wouldn't feel the fear that they have. Out in the woods, lost, hearing disturbing things and one of you ends up missing.

For a few weeks afterwards, I use to tease my wife by calling her in the room or garage and then be standing in the corner :)

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I didnt like the first blair witch film. But at best it was a one off, that thrived around a story (including the fake documentary they made for TV) that pulled people into the cinemas and I at least could understand why some people liked it. The second should never have been made, if it had been anything other than a dog, i'd have been highly suprised. Can't see Blair Witch 3 being anything other than a flop at the cinemas, dont know why the money men would sanction such a project. It's like when Dan Akroyd wanted them to let him make Ghostbusters 3 over 10 years ago and there still not making it. If a 3rd film is gonna be anything other than a pointless cashing in exercise done on the cheap, then the sequel must has to have been somewhat sucessful, blair witch 2 was a flop. Does anyone actually want a 3rd film?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I remember reading years ago that they wanted to make sure the second was was good enough and picked from many scripts so they could keep the franchise going but, it bombed so that hurt their chances of doing more.

Fred Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
I won't dog anyone's opinions but I'm serious when I say that BW2 Book of Shadows was a big time freaky movie. A totally different movie than the first (obviously) and veeery scary. I loved it. Let the onslaught begin.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I relly hated Blair Witch 2. What I hated the most was that it completely destroyed the first movie by refering to it as "a movie"...

So it's basically like the events of the first movie never happened!

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Sebastien,
Couldn't aggree with you more, I'm no fan of Blair Witch, but I at least understood what they were trying to do with there whole spoof documentary idea. It's a one off idea, that shouldn't have a sequel, since the only way of doing a follow up is to follow a more standard horror movie formula. But of course, with the success of the first movie, they couldn't resist attempting to turn it into a lucrative franchise, which predictably failed to come to fruitition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks