What's new

Is any sub better than no sub? (1 Viewer)

Brad-F

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the process of putting together my first home theater.

This HT is to go in my new house that is currently under construction so needless to say, I am rapidly running out of money to buy the parts of the system I still need.

One of these parts is a sub.

As another of the parts I need is a projector, I can see that my dream to have an 'awesome' setup, is just not going to happen right up. Time for some compromise.

Here in Sydney, a company called Dick Smiths sell an active 10" sub with a frequency range that goes down to 35MHz. This they sell for only $150AU (about $110US).

This is clearly not a top of the line item, but unfortunately, this fits with my current budget.

Am I better off having this budget sub in my system, then having no sub at all?

Has anyone here tried this Dick Smith 10" sub?

Can anyone recommend a sub $200AU sub that I can get here in Sydney?

I should add, that I have a 300watt Harmon Kardon power amp, so I could spend the $150-$200 on a passive sub. Any ideas?

Thanks

Brad

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
in your case, IMO, i would go without a sub, rather than getting a cheap sub.

you could always do DIY, and add your amp too.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Robert.......don't skimp on the sub. Save your cash and get a GOOD sub you won't regret it and you won't be getting that upgrade bug anytime soon.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Don't bother with the cheapie sub..it'll sound bad and you'll want rid of it sooner rather then later. Since you have an amp already I'd give serious thought to building (or having someone else build) you a box and purchase a sub driver for it with the funds you have available. I think Adire has a distributor in Oz so you should be able to get the Tempest or Shiva driver for about your budget and either will be much better then most sub you'd buy in a store under $700 or there abouts etc.

FYI here's the dealer you need to contact in Australia
AUSTRALIA
Acoustic Concepts
63 Southern Road
Mentone, Victoria 3194
AUSTRALIA
PHONE: 61 3 9585 1622
FAX: 61 3 9585 1244
E-MAIL: [email protected]
WEB: http://www.acousticconcepts.com.au

Terry St

Second Unit

It really doesn't tell you much when they say a sub "goes down to 35Hz" since it could roll off signficantly before that. You should look for qualifiers telling you what it's maximum output at that frequency is and how flat it is over the range it covers. Significant output at 35Hz isn't that great anyways. A lot of mains "go down" that low, many before they roll off significantly too! What are you going to use for mains? This "sub" might not actually help at all.

As others have stated, you may be far better off either saving up for a better sub or going the DIY route. ($150 AU may not cover even a DIY sub though, especially if you aren't already the wood-working sort and have to start buying tools.)

thapa

Agent
If u can pull out around AUD 250, you can import a Dayton 10" from Parts Express. It's not a bad sub at all.

Warning 1: For 250 bucks, you'll only get surface shipping which takes around 2 months.

Warning 2: Upgrade bug. I got mine 2 months back and I'm already thinking about a SVS.

Additional note: Just in case you're interested, you can get a Sound & Vision HT Tune-up DVD from CHAOSMUSIC for 24 bucks.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Brad, I believe there are also a few audio clubs in the Sydney area. You might want to contact them, go to a few meetings and share your needs. I'll bet they've got some sources that'll help you out.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I still wouldn't go with the Dayton. I would just go no sub until you can get a good one. In fact I'm doing that currently. Now that I heard some news about something in the pipeline at SVS, I'm going to wait on that.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I still think since there's an Adire dealer in australia that building a simple sub with a shiva would be his best investment...and if you go sealed its really not very difficult at all.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Shane,

Just curious as to why you are down on the Dayton? Many on the site claim the Dayton to be equal to many of the $3-500 JBL and Velo subs. Have you heard them? I am still trying to figure out my own purchase so I am asking for many and all opinions!

Brad-F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses guys.. I have decided to go the DIY route (or at least the GAFTBI route) "Get a friend to Build it".

Terry St made a good point. I don't have the tools required to make it myself. Nor have I ever done much wook working so I'm not sure what I would end up with if I tried.

I looked at the Tempest 15". Lots of good reports on that one. What should I expect to pay for this in Austraila?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well if a $1,000 M&K won't satisfy me, a $3-500 valued Dayton or JBl or Velo won't. If I know I'm going to upgrade the sub even after I buy it, then I just do w/o and save up more money. I have more patience than some though. Some folks just have this "I have to have it now thing" that I don't. If I know I want an $800 SVS and I can't afford it, I start saving and do w/o. I've heard the Dayton, the Low end JBl and the Velo's up to their HGS 18 and none of those satisfied me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks