What's new

Is a Denon 4802 enough for Klipsch RF-7? (1 Viewer)

Sebastien David

Second Unit
alright...

well, since we're going this way...

what if i bought a 3802, and a separate amp for the front and center channels, which I consider much more important in terms of power and sound quality than the rears...

would that be an optimal solution, or am I missing something here? would it be too hard to match the levels if the amplifiers aren't of equal power (i.e. 125 to each front channel, 125 to the center, 110 for the rears for ex.)?

because saving the dough from the 4802 would enable me to buy some nice amplification for the front wall of sound, no?

please continue to help me in this time of need, and thanks to all those who already have.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
it would be so much simpler if i wasn't working in a store!

first of all, I'd just be content with what I am for the next few years.

second of all, if I had to upgrade, it would be easy, I'd go for separates all the way!

-a pre/pro (know of any good ones?)

-a GOOD 2 channel amp fro the RF-7s

-a relatively good 5 channel amp to drive the center and surrounds

hey, actually, I just found out we carry the Sony TA-N9000ES amp from the ES line... 200 watts X2, 0.013% THD... for the ones who know about it, is it any good? because THAT would solve all my problems!

Tom Tubbiola

Stunt Coordinator
As a brand new 3802 owner I would tell you to get the 3802 and put the money you save into buying an SVS sub.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
no svs for me!

if i had to buy a sub, it would be one of the new RSW from Klipsch, because the SVS are only cost-effective if you are in the US, considering the exchange rate right now, and because my store carries Klipsch, hehe...

Chip E

Screenwriter
The 3802's remote is not user friendly... the 3802 won't pass an HD signal at full bandwidth. It has ONE freakin coax. The 4802 is an all around better receiver. If your worried about the price difference, then that's a factor, if not, then buy the 4802. It's one helluva receiver. I'm putting together a secondary system in my bedroom and am considering the 4802. I was considering the 3802 for the bedroom but, when i saw 27mhz component switching and ONE coax....well, that was a dealbreaker for me.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
okay...

i can very easily live without passing my HD signals through a receiver. I'll just keep on switching the inputs on my TV!

i can also live with only one coax input, I'll just use optical for whatever other (if any) digital source I have to use.

so 3802 it is then!

however, I'm still in need of some serious amplification for the front speakers. I'll start another thread about the Sony amp.

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
@Sébastien David

This seems to be a real pain to make up your mind.

But I think your options are very clear:

first forget about separates, in the 4802 price range there is nothing to buy.

second the 4802 is far, far superieur to the 3802.

If you look only on the feature side you get with the 4802 features like full THX, DTS 24/96, more and better crossover frequencies, HDTV component imput, much better build quality and so on.

If you compared the 4802 to the 3802 with removed cover this would become very clear.

The build quality of the 4802 is nearly as impressive as the 5800.

Something not mentioned here is the much better preamp section of the 4802.

To be honnest, trying to compare the 4802 with a 3802 is trying to compare a Toyota with a Mercedes.

I personally have a AVC A1SE, the Europe modell of the AVR 5800. The 4802 is very close to the 5800 in sound quality and right now even much better in features.

If sound is what you are looking for the 4802 is the only right way to go. You do not pay twice the price for some features or a cooler remote but for an overall much better quality. Go for the 4802 and you will never have the little man in head.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks