Is a Denon 4802 enough for Klipsch RF-7?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastien David, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

Hi everybody.

I'm in the final stages of decision-making for my new upgrade, which I hope to be the last for a long time to come.

I want to buy Klipsch RF-7s and the RC-7. I'm pretty set on them because of their efficiency, their raw volume level capabilities, their size and appearance, and the fact that I will be using them for 80% HT, and the rest of the time for fast-moving music. I want impact, and impact they have.

I presently have a Sony STR-DB830, which is a great piece of gear, but I know it will not use the RF-7s potential to its max, and I don't want to be left wanting for more in the power or quality department. Therefore, I need to buy some amplification.

I like the Denon 4802 for its features (great remote, 7.1, etc...) and quality, and for the fact that Denon matches Klipsch very well, or so I hear all over the forums I participate in. The price is a bit steep, however, and I was wondering if, for that kind of money, I wouldn't be better off buying spearates.

In short, my question is the following: will I be left wanting for more in the processing/preamplification/amplification departments if i use a Denon 4802 with my RF-7/RC-7 combo??

2. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

I would say that the 4802 would be plenty. Because of their extreme sensitivity, the RF-7s don't need a whole lot of power to make them sound good. The 125 watts/channel provides the 4802 would really make these speakers sing!

Go for it!

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    the 4802 should be just fine for the Klipsch speakers. It is fairly warm sounding, which is a good match and has more than enough power. In fact, you are probably also perfectly well of with the 3802.

4. EugeneM

EugeneM Extra

Let me first state - I don't own neither 4802 nor 3802.

But I am looking at 3802. I talked to people who

auditioned both and came to conclusion that for me

4802 isn't worth extra $$$. I think my speakers

are roughly equivalent to yours (KEF Q75s x 2, Q95,

Q15 x 2)

So I would say - go with 3802, it can be had for $800

at J & R, they are authorized dealers. 4802 is like

$1700-1800

Yeah, about remote - most people dont like remote that

comes with 3802. I have Marantz RC2000 MK II and

wouldn't change it for anything else - it's got BUTTONS !!!

And trust me, there is more than enough of them (well, for

my setup anyways - DVD player, Amp/tuner, Preamp, LD player,

VHS, TV)

You can't really use those fancy touchscreen remotes

without looking at them, and I find this to be real

disadvantage.

5. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Thej 3802 should drive the Ref. 7 package like a champ. I have one running the Ref. 3 setup. You are paying a lot of $$ THX certification, the remote, and a slight power advantage when you go with the 4802. If you have money to burn, get the 4802.

I saw someone post details on how to get the 3802 for 690ish the other day using Amex blue.

6. Sebastien David

ummm...

the only differences between the 3802 and 4802 are the remote, THX certification and more power?

i was under the impression the 4802 could support Dolby Digital THX surround EX 6.1 as well...

or is it just that it does the THX post processing on a Dolby Digital EX 6.1 signal?

doesn't the 4802 have some additional functions?

i mean, I was going for the flagship and the cool remote, but if I can save money by going for the 3802 instead while losing only THX cert, SOME extra power and the remote, then...

7. Ron_C

Ron_C Agent

I would go with the 3802, it has plenty of power(unless you have a HUGE room) and would drive the rf-7's great. 4802 has a few more features as the above posters mentioned, but unless you have the money to burn, i would get the 3802, it is a great reciever and is the one i will be getting in the future. I am curious why you are going with the rf-7 series over the rf-3 series? If you are going to be using a sub, you won't need the 10" woofers of the rf-7's, and the rf-3 would do just fine.(they will most likely be set to small anyways) That wouls save you a few bucks also. Anyways, you will have a great system anyway you go.

8. Sebastien David

...because I want the baddest, biggest, heaviest speakers I can afford. remember, i don't want to want to upgrade for a long time.
    and because I've always wanted them, and I know that if I go with the RF-3 or RF-5 instead I'll always have that little voice in the back of my head "what would THAT sound like with the huge RF-7s"?
    and finally, because I can.
    [​IMG]
    kind of why I wanted to get the 4802 as well...
    but real world concerns are starting to enter the picture...

9. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Bring home both a 3802 and 4802 -- keep the one that floats your boat. Tell us what you kept. I highly encourage you to view the interior guts of these two receivers at the Crutchfield web site. Amazing to look at: 4802.

10. Sebastien David

doug, sorry, i can't do that, i don't have the privilege of being a customer...

I work in an electronics store and will have to order direct from the klipsch/denon rep to get the stuff as cheap as possible.

so i can't bring them home.

11. Ron_C

Ron_C Agent

then if that is a reason and money isn't an issue, by all means get the rf-7's, they are a better speaker and they definately will look inpressive in your HT. I would like the rf-7's also, but i will be "settling" for the rf-3's.

I would do what the poster above said. Buy both...demo them for a week or two and keep the one you like. Then you can decide if the extra $$$$$ is worth it or not. If you have the $$$$ get the 4802, but i am sure you will be happy with the 3802.

12. Sebastien David

i just looked at the "inside story" on crutchfield...

and i'm no electrician, but the inside view of the 4802 compared to the 3802 makes me all warm and fuzzy inside...

i thought the 4802's guts looked much more like the 5800's than the 3802's...

it really looks like the 4802 was built beefier...

anybody with actual experience in the field could tell me whether looks are deceiving or not in this case?

13. Sebastien David

bump.

i need to know, I want to decide once and for all.

to me it seems the 4802 is a definite step up in terms of power and features from the 3802, and only a small step down from the 5800 (which actually doesn't even have dbplII).

if so I will go with the 4802.

14. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

I'm not electrician but i might say looks "MUST" be deceiving... because while the 4802 (which I own) looks similar to the 5800 on the inside, you're missing some serious physical weight...

Here are a few of the reasons I went with the 4802 after having auditioned both side by side on the same speaker setup.

27mhz vs 50Mhz Component Video Switching. 27mhz is not full bandwidth and I plan to be switching some HD signals.

I don't mind paying the extra $$$ just to have the THX fellas turn me into a label whore.

Other than that I was hard pressed to find too many real differences in sound quality... to the point that I wouldn't even mention it, because if I do point out the minor differences in sound quality it'll make them seem much more significant then they were. I could use words like more natural, spacious, effortless, but those words get overused for so many different products by so many untrained ears that I'm not gonna try... So for all intents and purposes, to my untrained ears, the 3802 sounded just as good as the 4802... bang for the buck is the 3802, especially when you consider that the 4802 costs twice as much... but in all honesty, if they would've had a 5802 I would bought the 5802 just to have it.

15. Sebastien David

thanks.
    at this point i'm convinced (to a point I've always been) that the 3802 will sound just as good as the 4802.
    but the features of the 4802 seem to be a notch above. is it worth twice the price?
    certainly not, but I don't want those little voices in the back of my head, plus I REALLY like the remote... [​IMG]

16. Sebastien David

in your opinion, is the THX post processing worthy of a surplus in price or is it just a useless gimmick?

17. dean_g

dean_g Agent

A common misconception, and I have no idea where this comes from - is that the RF7 and RF3 use the same HF driver.
    They are not even in the same league.
    The RF7's deserve the best amplification you can afford. they are a tremendous value.
    If you are getting a decent sub - you might want to consider what I have done.
    I use two RC7's (center channel) as mains. I put them babies on stands and flipped the horns.
    You should not rule out separates. Regardless of what anyone says - it's a pretty significant difference in real world performance.
    http://www.bkcomp.com/pcindex.html

18. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

deang

19. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

THX post processing is not a gimmick, however, it was designed about 15 years ago. I found THX of value with 2 channel sources, VHS, TV etc., but of very limited value with DD 5.1 source material. I think that now DPL II is probably more valuable than THX for those 2 channel sources. If something you are looking at has THX, that is a bit of a plus. But to spend more to get THX, I say no. Depending on the piece, there could also be a problem where you cannot turn OFF the THX under certain circumstances. That is not good.

20. Sebastien David

noooo!!!

now I'm all mixed up yet again!

i was planning to go with the 3802, which is less than half of the 4802, and now it seems I would be better off with separates?

the separates idea had been trotting around in my head for a while...

I have access to denon stuff real cheap, and the Cambridge Audio stuff too. does onkyo make good separates?

suggestions please!