What's new

Is 24 Series 1 worth a Blind Purchase? (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It's the day of the California Presidential Primary, the first black man with a shot at the white house is running for president, and then CTU (Counter Terrorist Unit) get's word that someone's going to attempt to assassinate that guy during the day. Jack Bauer is called in to help, but his teenage daughter goes missing... and he must search for her (as she gets deeper and deeper into trouble) while also trying to stop the threat against Senator Palmer's life. Not to mention, there's word that someone in CTU migth be a mole.
That's the 1st hour :) It gets even more complex, and interesting that that, believe it or not.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
Why do so many people use series where season should go.
Given that television was invented in Britain, perhaps one should ask why so many people use season instead of series?;)
Personally, I tend to refer to British programmes as 'series' ('cos that's what I grew up with) and American ones as 'season' ('cos that's what I've become used to!).
Oh, and keeping on-topic, 24 is well worth a punt. I knew nothing about it (other than the basic 24 episodes = 1 day concept), and was totally hooked after the first episode. The producers make good use of the widescreen format, with split screens popping up every so often to remind one of the parallel plots going on. Probably the most imaginative new TV drama in a long time...

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I never knew that about the Brits.

I always thought a given show is the SERIES.

It contains x number of SEASONS, each one ends with a SEASON FINALE.

When the whole shebang is over you usually have a SERIES FINALE. Except for the shows that get cancelled which usually just sorta end.

tony lavely

Auditioning
Wherever or whenever you buy it, make sure the place will take it back if it's defective, even after thirty days or so.

I bought it based on Ron's review (and am happy I did), but still haven't been able to make the time to get thru it all. But I got to the 9AM - 10AM episode, and the picture froze about twenty minutes in, then skipped to the menu.

DVDEmpire took it back and replaced it, even though it was more than two months since I had bought it.

FWIW. Enjoy, tony.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Then like mentioned before, try renting the first disk. If you still have no interest after the first four episodes, give it a pass. If you do, buy it and all it will have cost you extra was the one rental.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
It's the day of the California Presidential Primary, the first black man with a shot at the white house is running for president, and then CTU (Counter Terrorist Unit) get's word that someone's going to attempt to assassinate that guy during the day. Jack Bauer is called in to help, but his teenage daughter goes missing... and he must search for her (as she gets deeper and deeper into trouble) while also trying to stop the threat against Senator Palmer's life. Not to mention, there's word that someone in CTU migth be a mole.
Sounds interesting... So I guess as soon as I recover from the holidays (Financially that is) I'll check it out.

I find it hard to imagine how it could be real-time but I guess that means a lot happen in that day if they made sure they don't skip anything.

Someone mentionned it's widescreen? Good to know. Does it have a 5.1 Track, any extras? (Now that this thread is in the Software section, I can ask these things)

And what about Ser... Euh I mean Season 2, is it just the next day or is it a completely different story? I won't watch the current one on TV as it could give me spoilers.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Well, each episode is actually 40 minutes long on DVD since there are no commercials. I just assume that in the extra time, the characters are taking trips to the powder room or refilling their drinks. :)
I understand that Season 2 is a completely different scenario, something about a nuclear bomb.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
Rob, please edit your last sentence so that it shows up as a spoiler, especially for those of us in the UK (where not even a trailer has been shown yet!) who are trying to stay spoiler-free for season 2!;)
Thanks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What Rob said is revealed in the first 5 minutes of season 2. Not to mention the fact that the subject matter of season 2 was widely publicized months before the broadcasts started.

To answer some of Martin's other questions: Audio on the DVD set is 2.0; video is widescreen, 16:9 enhanced; and there are very few extras, probably because the set was issued in a hurry so that it could be available before season 2 started. There's an alternate ending, with commentary from one of the executive producers, and a short season 2 promo.

Season 2 is a different story, but with various connections backwards. You don't want to know any more.

M.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Season Two is sometime later and a different story, but if you see even the first episode, it'll reveal major spoilers for Season One.
Try to avoid any and all exposure to Season Two, including trailers, until you've seen Season One. This may entail sealing yourself into a cardboard box with a DVD player and a TV set, but heck, I do that anyway around the holidays. :)
Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks