What's new

Is 120W enough for a SVS CS 20-39 ? (1 Viewer)

JauCheeze

Stunt Coordinator
I have a old onkyo receiver that's rated at 120x2 for the mains. Will this be enough to drive the CS 20-39? I want the pc+, but the costs is too much for me right now.

thanks

Dustin_Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
That old Onkyo should do just fine with a CS. Also, I bet your reciever's wattage rating is for an 8ohm load. If this is the case, the sub will probably draw around ~180w at 4ohms since the SVS is a 4ohm speaker.

DT

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I'd make sure the Oink is rated for a 4 ohm load before I ran the sub with it. If not, it might run really hot and/or go into protect mode and shut itself off.

The Improved Standard Driver in the CS subwoofer is rated for around 300 watts of high current power into 4 ohms. Sure, a 100 watt receiver will get it going, but will have you about 4-5 dB shy of the max output capability. Plus it lacks all the normal features of a dedicated subwoofer plate amp. I'd look at the PCi with the 320 watt onboard BASH amp, as a better alternative.

If you are really into the passive sub, then look at the Parts Express 250 watt subwoofer amp for about $120. But at $120, it's not too much less than going straight out with a PCi.

Regards,

Ed

JauCheeze

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure my old onkyo can drive drive 4 ohm loads because I've use it before to power some 4ohm car subs in my dorm room a few years ago.

I would think the 25-31pci would not be enough for me because my living is about 25x20. My setup occupies about 20x20, with a sloped ceiling. The highest point is probably 2 stories high. So there is a lot of 'space' in my living room. There is no way i can afford the pc+, so I was thinking about getting a cs, play with that for a while, and I can easily upgrade to a separate amp in the future.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

The PCi and CS are the same subs, except for the amp, which of course makes for the increase in price in the PCi series. Keep in mind that a 25-31 (either CS or PCi) will be slightly LOUDER than it's larger 20-39 brother, but with slightly less extension.

So getting the CS 20-39 and using your onyo reciever will probably net you less bass output than going with the PC 25-31.

You might get a CS+, and temporarily power that with your reciever sacrificing some performance now, and then upgrade the amp down the road, and you'll be set to go.

Of course, you could drop SVS an email, and they can help you out more with your decision.

Dustin_Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
IF, and only IF, you are cash strapped the CS driven by your old reciever would work for now. Your room is big so a single CS may not satisfy you. It could, however, be a starting point.

Chris and Ed offered a few good points. I would say if your reciever pumped out 180w at 4ohms, you would only be a 2 to 3db's shy of the pci. Email SVS, they'll have a better idea of this.

With a single CS, you could buy a second when you get the money, and after that buy a 300w amp when your budget can hack it. If your really cash strapped this might be the best rout for you.

Like Chris said, email SVS with these questions before you do anything.

DT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks