What's new

"Irreversible" DVD cancelled in Canada! (UPDATE: Possibly delayed) (1 Viewer)

Andrew D F

Stunt Coordinator
That's true, but there have been many people who ordered the IMPORT version from Amazon.ca and have either received the Alliance version instead, or had to wait a lot longer for their order to arrive.
I've ordered more than 100 imports from Amazon.ca, and I've never been shipped the wrong version.

Sure, it takes an extra week for the import to arrive vs. the Canadian version, but it's still faster than ordering from Amazon.com. It's also quite a bit cheaper than .com since .ca gives free shipping for Canadian orders.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
it looks like Spider is nowhere to be found on Canadian retailer shelves today. Thanks Alliance.
Any word on Irreversible or Spider in Canada?
I'll be ordering the US Import of Amazon.ca regardless...

Update of the worst kind for us folks in Canada. I ordered Irreversible as an IMPORT from amazon.ca. After a while of not shipping, I decided to check the website. GONE! Amazon.ca is not even offering the import for sale anymore! Has this film been outright banned in Canada!? I'm starting to lose my patience.

Oh, and by the way ... Alliance has just cancelled thier DVD for the upcoming "Good Thief". So that makes Irreversible, Spider, and The Good Thief all in a span of two weeks. Beauty. :angry:

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I ordered my copy up from DVD Empire. It shipped just a couple of days before street, so I should get it next week, I think (USPS).

I did a quick google for "banned" and "Irreversible" on google.ca and did not come up with anything. I doubt that it could be out right banned, as each province has it's own film board. So films banned in, say B.C. are not necessarily banned in Ontario.

The only way I could see a film getting banned country wide is it broke the hate crimes acts of the criminal code. So if a film specifically pushed, say an anti-semetic veiw point they could be seized and destroyed.

Bit of a mystery why the film would be taken off of Amazon's site. You could try talking to a B&M like HMV and see if they would import it for you as well. They have, on occasion brought in titles for me, if they were less expensive then getting from DVD Empire, or the like.

Andrew D F

Stunt Coordinator
Don't be concerned by it disappearing from the Amazon.ca website. That happens all of the time with imports. If you had your order in before it was removed from the site, then your order will be fulfilled.

Amazon.ca only orders a certain number of each import title, and once all of those copies have been spoken for, it automatically gets removed from the site. If the particular import is popular enough, they will re-order and it will then re-appear on the site. However, most U.S. imports never re-appear, as they don't sell as well once the 30% pre-order discount stops applying.

My import copy of Irreversible shipped from Amazon.ca yesterday.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yes, sort of implied by Andrew, a hint to people wanting imports from amazon.ca: *always* pre-order if you think you *might* want something, you have until release day to cancel if you change your mind, they never ship before. The price *always* goes up (sometimes a lot) on release day, for everything, import or "domestic"...and sometimes it disappears.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm I (pre)ordered my copy from amazon.ca (as well as Spider) on August 1.
They have not shipped yet, rather it currently states:
Shipping Soon: We are preparing these items for shipment and can no longer change shipping and billing options for them.

Delivery estimate: 20 August - 2 September
Items Ordered Price

1 of: Spider (Widescreen/Full Screen) [IMPORT] [DVD]
CDN$ 28.26
- Gift options: None

1 of: Hiroshima mon amour [DVD]
CDN$ 47.99

1 of: Irreversible (Unrated) / (Ws Sub Dol) [IMPORT]
CDN$ 26.75
With Irreversible no longer being "clickable" or "linked" to anything... hopefully I'll get it!

Of interest, Cinema Montreal lists both Irreversible AND Spider as being released on October 14: http://www.cinemamontreal.com/cm/que...-upcoming.html
... but The Good Thief is unchanged so far... man, Alliance sucks so much ass.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
man, Alliance sucks so much ass
I find it very strange how difficult to get some of their releases are, no B&M apparently ever has them, and even most online places don't. And how expensive these discs sometimes are. Do they want sales or not? Or is it the fault of the retailers??

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
Do they want sales or not? Or is it the fault of the retailers??
I have yet to hear a reason for why many of their releases are delayed from when the American counterparts are released. Nor have I ever heard reasons why they sometimes change content on DVDs (example: dropping all the extras from Y Tu Mama Tambien).
They are a company that has single-handedly ruined much of the Canadian DVD market I find. Sad, considering they started off with some superior editions to US DVDs (Pulp Fiction, Good Will Hunting etc).
All I ask is they do a direct port of American DVDs. Why they complicate this with delays, new covert art, occasionally chaged features, etc is a mystery.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Likely, they don't have rights to most of the "extras", just the film. So rather then get right on the ball and negotiate for those rights, they wait and wait... then it's too late. They now have to rip them off the disc, or withhold authoring and releasing the title until they have negotiated the rights.

Knowing how tight fisted they seem to be, I suspect they don't often try very hard to get the rights.

Alliance Atlantis is still, frequently (and I don't know if this is a good thing or not) following the old model of film releasing. That is, release a film as a film, and not as a big, glorified, advertisement for the upcoming video release.

Good for true cinephiles, if they can get to a city witch shows smaller releases, bad for DVD collectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks