What's new

ipod advice (1 Viewer)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I'm looking to buy an ipod now that my trusty Rio500 has finally died.

I'm looking into just getting a 10GB one since that is much more space than I'll ever need and would like to keep the cost as low as possible. Things like the cradle, carrying case, and wired remote aren't important to me.

It seems that not too long ago there was a redesign on the ipod's button arrangement. Is this merely a cosmetic difference or is it more substantial than that?

Compusa.com has the older 10GB ipod for $229.88 which seems like a really good deal to me. The newer 10GB ones are $299.

Is there much of a difference between these two that would make me want to get the newer version? Or will the older version suffice, especially in light of the price difference?

Oh and one last thing. . .I'm under the impression that now that Apple has released Windows software for the ipod the older version's "mac only" label no longer applies? Downloading it is no big deal for me but I want to make sure there wasn't some change where the old version won't work, even with Windows software.

I appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I believe that you still have to buy one that says "Windows compatible" - if it's not, I don't think Windows will see it.

As for what's new between the old 10GB iPod and the new one, quite a bit. For one, the newer one is much smaller and lighter than the previous model. Also there is a jog dial that moves on the old one, and the buttons are actually pressed. On the new model, these "buttons" are actually just recessed and they respond to human skin, but don't actually move.

For $80 I think it's worth it to go with the newer, sleeker model. But if size and aesthetics aren't important to you, I think the older model would be fine. I only have experience with the newer model, though.

Edit: Here's some comparative pictures. This is actually the 15GB; the 10GB is slightly smaller. The newer (3rd generation) model is the smallest one:
http://ipodlounge.com/assets/images/...pod15gb_35.jpg
http://ipodlounge.com/assets/images/...pod15gb_36.jpg

More pictures: http://ipodlounge.com/assets/images/...ipod15gb/setb/

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Is there much of a difference between these two that would make me want to get the newer version? Or will the older version suffice, especially in light of the price difference?
new one, 3rd gen:
-smaller unit, different buttons/arrangement. As for the scroll wheel, the 1st gen had movable plastic ring, but 2nd+3rd gen went to the "touchwheel" which works like the mousepads on laptops. The compusa $229 model is a 2nd gen iPod.
-supports USB 2.0 (&1.1), not just firewire
-dock connector which supports dock + some other accessories
-supports 2.x firmware which has:
-on-the-go playlists (create playlist on iPod, rather than being limited to making them on the PC)
-additional games + alarm clock, some other minor utilities

but
- worse battery life (~20%?)

I have the old one, the only feature I really wish I had from the new one is the OTG playlist. The old iPod is already small enough to fit comfortably in my pants pocket, and I can live without the other new features. I won't upgrade until I run out of space or they put out some new generation with much better battery life.

If you don't have a fireware port on your PC the added cost of a card might bring the prices close enough for you to want to spring for the 3rd gen.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Thank you Rob and Stephen, I really appreciate your responses. You've both really helped clarify things for me.

I think I'm convinced I should spring for the 3rd gen model. The size difference is a big seller since I will definitely be carrying it in my pocket since I have way too many things on my belt already. I realize the older one would probably have still been small enough but if I can get it even smaller, then why not?

Decreased battery life is a bit of a bummer but I think I'll be okay with it since I probably won't be using it for more than a few hours max between ability to charge. I like the idea of OTG playlists as well. My laptop already has a firewire port so buying a card isn't necessary, but I suppose having USB connectivity is useful should I need to use a different PC.

With the new touchwheel that only responds to human touch, does this mean that I can put the ipod in my pocket without it accidentally hitting buttons? Or do I still need to put the device on "hold" (I assume it does this)?

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
It's pretty sensitive to touch. I've seen it respond through a t-shirt, but not through jeans. It does have a hold feature just in case, though.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Just a suggestions, but you might want to start looking for a case. The one that comes with the iPod is not too swift. No access to the controls and it scratches the back. iPodlounge is a great resource for all things iPod, including case reviews.

BTW, when I put my iPod in the pocket of my sweats, I can't push the buttons through the material. I haven't found them to be overly sensitive.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Pamela, will do! The 10GB model doesn't come with a case so I pretty much planned on picking something up. I started debating getting the 20GB model because of the accessories, but it's good to know the included case sucks. I think I'll be best just picking up one of my own.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
the buttons calibrate themselves every time the iPod is turned on. So if your fingers are near the buttons, it'll screw up the sensitivity.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
ipods are a waste. i got a used rio riot 20 gig mp3 player on ebay for $80.00 shipped.

sure it is not as small and it is a usb 1.0 connection but it is better then spending $300+ for a stupid ipod.

but it is better then spending $300+ for a stupid ipod.
Ah, here is the real truth. You have no money. Something tells me that if you had $300 -- there are iPods for less you know -- then the iPod would suddenly cease to be "stupid."

The iPod is hands down the best portable player on the market. You may not care for it, you may not be able to afford it, but it is most certainly not "stupid."

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Yes $300 is a godawful lot of money for a glorified walkman. But I can no longer live without my iPod. I just wish they came in other colors.

Gregory E

Second Unit
What about the new Dell DJ (Jukebox)? Seems like a better deal than the ipods....

Anybody have one?

Stephen L

Second Unit

just ordered one yesterday , 15gb $199 w/ zero tax + shipping. Seems like a good deal but I've read you cant use iTunes with the DJ.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I agree 100%. Every other MP3 player I've had or touched had a bunch of "i wish it would" moments, or just plain didn't work well- the IPOD works wonderfully, is easy enough to use I gave one to my mom, and sounds great.

-vince

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The only thing unfortunate about Ipod is that being from Apple, it's unlikely to experience the same price decreases as other technologies. I'd really love to grab one of the higher capacity Ipods at a much lower price.

Stephen L

Second Unit
After dealing with Dell customer service I'm now wishing I went with the iPod. When we ordered their Dell DJ the web site wouldnt take my extra 5% off from a TiVo add that runs through tomorrow but my wife ordered anyway. I called Dell CS today & was put through a maze for nearly 2 hrs. I had a hard time understanding their accents(call center located in India) & had to spell out words for them plus Dell uses voice over IP which sounded very weak. After being bounced around and their CS's refusing my request for a level 2 rep or supervisor I ended my call. Tonight my wife called & demanded very forcefully a supervisor and after 10 minutes got a level 2 rep who was more sympathetic to our plight. After telling him she was going to cancel the order & buy an iPod he offered to credit our credit card $100 .
I called originally for a possible $10 refund and became incensed by their lousy CS and end up with a $100 refund .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks