What's new

ipod advice (1 Viewer)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I've been comparing MP3 players for a while and just ordered a Rio Karma 20GB player. If I had a Mac, I definitely would've ordered the Ipod but I'm a PC guy. The Karma has some features, such as ethernet connection, 15 hr battery life, 2 channel audio out, dynamic playlist generation and support of Ogg Vorbis and FLAC formats, among others, that the Ipod didn't have. Cost was $277 from Comp-U-Plus with a $20 mail in rebate bringing the final cost down to $257. I'll be comparing it to my friends Ipod once I get it. Just another option for the PC people out there.

Graham Perks

Second Unit
I love my iPod. Highly recommended.

"2 channel audio out"

Of course the iPod has that. Stereo headphones you know :) With a dock, it also has line-out.

Buying an iPod has nothing to do with Mac vs PC. It works equally well no matter which you have.

iTunes is very cool too. I noticed the other day how much better quality the iTunes Music Store preview clips are than Amazon's. The software for interfacing with the iPod is fabulous - it really does "just work". Nothing complex about it - very very wonderful and it's great to experience software that not only looks good but works well.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Interesting discussion that went on here. . .

Well at Christmas I'll be able to report on both the DJ and the Ipod. As I've said, I'm getting the Ipod and my husband is getting the DJ. I thought hard about getting a DJ but we don't want the same exact device (we already have a lot of duplicates). He very much dislikes the Ipod and I like it so it was an obvious decision to get him the DJ and me the Ipod.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I've played with two iPods at work, and like them.

But I refuse to spend $300 to $500 for something that costs $99 to get the battery replaced (and you get somebody elses refurbed unit back).

So, over the next couple of months, I'll be looking into the competition very closely.

Getting three times the storage for less money also makes the competition attractive.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Good to see that the FUD machine is working overtime.
You obviously have no meaningful information regarding the issue, otherwise I'm sure you would have enlightened us.

Click Continue to order iPod battery service for $99 USD. This program is not available in Europe at this time.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Michael - Take a look at the Rio Karma. I got mine yesterday and it's an amazing player. I was in the same boat as you. I liked the Ipod but wasn't going to pay $400 for a 20GB player. For a little more than $250, the Karma is a steal.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
It's a hundred bucks if you go through Apple and there's no guarantee that you'll get your original one back. That doesn't mean you won't it just means they don't guarantee it. In addition, that program was instituted because some early G1 models suffered from a battery defect that caused their batteries to die after approximately 18-24 months. That problem has since been corrected, and while it's to early to judge the 2 and 3G models (they simply haven't been around for long enough), I have no doubt Apple has taken care of it, they can't afford not too. In addition, there are plenty of do-it-yourself options that can be used that cost far less, around $60 or so.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

I've used Apple computers for about 8 years now, so you get used to the beating your wallet takes. But, it's all worth it.

I bought my wife a 10GB iPod and a dock for Christmas. My only concern with it is that I'm going to love it so much that I have to go buy my own. I think I'm going to wait for the next revision to get mine though.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I almost bought a Rio Riot at Costco, I am so glad I didn't. 20 GB through a USB 1? It would take several hours just to add 4,000 songs into that . I uploaded 6,800 into the ipod using itunes. it was seamless, after putting in all the playlists I wanted, all 6,800 songs loaded in less than an hour, about 26 GB MP3 (or AAC now).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks