What's new

iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max owners thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Carlo, thanks for that set-up link! That’s a useful page! I scanned over it, and the process I did to set up the cellular was the last one it shows. It wasn’t like I knew what I was doing. I had not done any reading ahead of time, which I usually do to educate myself. In this case, I made an assumption it would be easy and use Quick Start. I assumed this process would also transfer my cellular account as it transferred all my data. ( 2 hours for all the data and media files. ) But it didn’t transfer the cellular. ( I have the iPhone X so I’ve never had experience with a dual SIM iPhone before.) And my iPhone X is on iOS 14. So in looking at that page, I see because it is iOS 14, that process changed.

Sam, I hope you’re get your cell set up worked out. Carlo, Man, I’ll be interested in how your iPhone 12 Pro Max experiences go and it goes smoothly.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
So, I've scanned through those links and I'm still not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do. I'm also coming from an X running iOS 14.x. Do I need to move my physical sim from the X to the 12?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Carlo, thanks for that set-up link! That’s a useful page! I scanned over it, and the process I did to set up the cellular was the last one it shows. It wasn’t like I knew what I was doing. I had not done any reading ahead of time, which I usually do to educate myself. In this case, I made an assumption it would be easy and use Quick Start. I assumed this process would also transfer my cellular account as it transferred all my data. ( 2 hours for all the data and media files. ) But it didn’t transfer the cellular. ( I have the iPhone X so I’ve never had experience with a dual SIM iPhone before.) And my iPhone X is on iOS 14. So in looking at that page, I see because it is iOS 14, that process changed.

Sam, I hope you’re get your cell set up worked out. Carlo, Man, I’ll be interested in how your iPhone 12 Pro Max experiences go and it goes smoothly.
Nelson, who is your carrier? I thought I saw something on AT&T's site saying I had to transfer my SIM card over but I may have read that too quickly.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So, I've scanned through those links and I'm still not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do. I'm also coming from an X running iOS 14.x. Do I need to move my physical sim from the X to the 12?

To keep it simpler, I'd recommend just moving your old (physical) SIM to the new phone before starting it up. That should transfer your phone line account to the new phone just fine.

A 2ndary SIM is probably more useful for international travel (unless you really want/need 2 different lines on same phone I guess). I suppose if you travel a lot, especially to different parts of the world, it might then be nicer to have your main home/USA line/account on the eSIM and just swap the physical SIM to whichever you'd temporarily use in another country.

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Man I think you're right. I'll just swap the sim from my X to my 12PM when it gets here. That e-sim stuff doesn't seem to be something I need.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Carlo, I’m on AT&T.

The AppleCare guy I spoke to yesterday said the conventional way to transfer cellular from an old iPhone to a new one is either transferring the old SIM card into the new iPhone, or preferably, use a QR code your carrier gives you to set up the eSIM. He told me it was good I used the eSIM because it’s the most current tech, the old SIM is old. And if we do get to travel, the physical SIM slot can be used for cell service in the country you’re going to. I don’t know if the eSIM would be better for that purpose. I suppose once the pandemic is over, I could go to a AT&T store and see if the active cellular account can be switched to the physical SIM, depending on what makes sense. He told me for now it’s working, so leave it.

If you‘re unsure how to transfer your cell service, maybe it makes sense to call your carrier for advice, I wish I did. But it worked out for me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am sorry to hear of all the issues some of you are having with your new iPhone setup.

I hate to say, mine was effortless. I just the new iPhone 12 next to my iPhone 11 and let it transfer.

Didn't have to exchange sim cards. When I ordered the phone, Apple said it would have it set up with my Verizon account by the time I received it.

In fact, I am shipping my old phone off to SellYourMac as I write this with the old sim card in there. Hope it won't be a problem. If it is, I am sure they will take care of it if I send them an email.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Carlo, I’m on AT&T.

The AppleCare guy I spoke to yesterday said the conventional way to transfer cellular from an old iPhone to a new one is either transferring the old SIM card into the new iPhone, or preferably, use a QR code your carrier gives you to set up the eSIM. He told me it was good I used the eSIM because it’s the most current tech, the old SIM is old. And if we do get to travel, the physical SIM slot can be used for cell service in the country you’re going to. I don’t know if the eSIM would be better for that purpose. I suppose once the pandemic is over, I could go to a AT&T store and see if the active cellular account can be switched to the physical SIM, depending on what makes sense. He told me for now it’s working, so leave it.

If you‘re unsure how to transfer your cell service, maybe it makes sense to call your carrier for advice, I wish I did. But it worked out for me.

Yeah, once you've transferred to eSIM, I imagine that will likely be nicer to have, except if you ever wanna switch away from the iPhone (and gulp, switch back and forth from an Android, haha).

I suppose the iPhone copy/transfer process automatically handles eSIM data transfer as well, but maybe for now, it could be a tad iffier/trickier transferring from physical SIM on old phone to eSIM on new phone just because that's still a new-ish thing...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I am sorry to hear of all the issues some of you are having with your new iPhone setup.

I hate to say, mine was effortless. I just the new iPhone 12 next to my iPhone 11 and let it transfer.

Didn't have to exchange sim cards. When I ordered the phone, Apple said it would have it set up with my Verizon account by the time I received it.

In fact, I am shipping my old phone off to SellYourMac as I write this with the old sim card in there. Hope it won't be a problem. If it is, I am sure they will take care of it if I send them an email.

Maybe that's what the $20 upgrade fee is supposed to pay for -- something (bit more) real for a change... ;)

Wonder though whether you were already using eSIM on your old 11...

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Typing this from the new phone. Went smoothly. Spigen makes an amazing case and screen protector.

Early thoughts.
  • Definitely confirm the size works for you if you’re unsure. I knew I was getting a two handed phone and that’s what I got.
  • The yellower-whites? I think that’s because “True Tone” is enabled by default. I definitely saw yellower whites as it was transferring. But as soon as everything was up and running I turned it off and whites are ... very white. In fact I think I’ll put it back on.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay I'm posting this here. This is a converted to JPEG from the iPhone 12 Pro Max's HEIC format via my Mac's Preview program, on "highest" jpeg image quality. No other processing applied (although I think imgur does some stripping of info, and I cropped the photo to eliminate the unneeded image of my messy room). On one hand, it's going to look like "just another good photo".

Until I tell you that my bedroom is really dimly lit, and my iPhone X with no flash would make this an absolutely digital-noise-fest trying to bring out detail with what is a pretty dark guitar in a dimly lit environment. In fact, this photo almost looks better than what my eye sees.

tdurenH.jpg

This one photo has already confirmed my rationale for purchasing the phone. Zero regrets. This is seriously a challenging shooting situation, and it passes with flying colors.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It's actually a little more exposure than my naked eye sees (I'm literally looking at it right now as I type). If my room lights would get just a little brighter then it would match the photo.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I took another shot and manually turned down the exposure (by holding finger down on iPhone screen and then pulling down) until the image in the viewfinder looked like what I saw in real life. Cropped, converted to JPEG, uploaded to imgur, and here it is:

s39Db7R.jpg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 3.02.00 PM.png
There is the EXIF data if anyone was interested in seeing that. For the second image.

Keep in mind both shots are handheld by me lying in bed while on a Zoom call and a little jittery from caffeine (aka work fuel). So these are not ideal shooting situations.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Very niiice! The PQ looks great for ISO640 on a phone... that also opens up to f/1.6 at this wide-ish (26mm equiv) angle. That's kinda like shooting at ISO3200 on my mirrorless Z6+widezoom kit w/ lens wide open at f/4 -- the Z6's kit widezoom is actually unusually superb even wide open at f/4, rivaling much more expensive f/2.8 pro widezooms at f/4 and smaller apertures. Not sure how the 12 Pro Max compares at pixel-peeping level, but this definitely looks impressive for web size viewing and probably small-to-medium print.

_Man_

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I was about to say that this phone (and others of the same generation as I’m sure it’s competitors are close in quality) have reached a level where I feel comfortable leaving my DSLR at home for all but the most critical shooting needs.

If I’m shooting a friend’s wedding, or seeing one of the great pieces of art or architecture or natural wonders of the world, sure I’ll bring the DSLR. But for just about any other shooting needs, this is the first phone that won’t give me “damn I left my DSLR at home” regret.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The OIS probably didn't even (need to) kick in for this shot (and other similar lighting) since it managed 1/40sec shutter speed...

_Man_

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Carlo, how did you get the cellular working? Did you swap the SIM card?

images of the guitar looks great. I’ll have to try some photography this weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks