What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m over justifying the iPads power vs os debate but I like this guys take

What did he mean at about 7:30 when he said he could pull the iPad off the keyboard and let the keyboard continue charging? The keyboard doesn’t have its own battery does it?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I can say that it is categorically better than my 4 year old iPadPro: the display is noticeably better, the M4 CPU/GPU is categorically faster, the 5G cellular is noticeably faster than the LTE, the Apple folio case in much better, the Magic Keyboard is better. It is lighter... Only a win.

Had a genius appointment for the old one, it has a tiny hairline fracture on the screen, so having it replaced before giving it to my wife, who is still using a 9.7" first gen Pro, that no longer gets iOS updates and has a very short lived battery. Everybody wins -- a display fix, means she gets a new refurbished 11" iPad Pro , with a new battery... All for the highly reasonable price of $49.

Granted, my new Pro costs a fortune, but I intend to use it for many years to come.

Biggest complaint: it turned out that my iPhoto library is currently over 2TB, so there is no way to get all my uncompressed* photos and videos on my new iPad. If only there was a way to download all the videos and all favorited photos plus all Albums - Shared or otherwise so that they would work off line when traveling...

*I mean visible, edible in the case of videos playable in Airplane mode.
Ted,

Why would you desire to keep “all” your photos on your iPad? Would it not be best to archive them elsewhere?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ted,

Why would you desire to keep “all” your photos on your iPad? Would it not be best to archive them elsewhere?

Biggest complaint: it turned out that my iPhoto library is currently over 2TB, so there is no way to get all my uncompressed* photos and videos on my new iPad. If only there was a way to download all the videos and all favorited photos plus all Albums - Shared or otherwise so that they would work off line when traveling...

*I mean visible, edible in the case of videos playable in Airplane mode.

I’m not Ted and emphasis mine but I thought he explained why originally in his comment. He wants to be able to work on the go.

And, in terms of Photos design, iPadOS doesn’t let the user set what photos remain on device. It’s either everything or it’s at the whim of the Photos algorithm. Which is generally fine for normal people who are just browsing photos. But for the pro or power user I can see how this might be an issue.

Last edited:

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
I want to get a case for my wife’s M4 iPad Pro 13”. She doesn’t need heavy duty protection as she uses it almost exclusively at home but does take it with her when traveling.

It should have a stand that makes watching while sitting in bed and while on an airplane more convenient.

I may just go with the Apple Smart Folio for iPad Pro 13-inch (M4) since 3rd party cases are either not fully compatible or won’t be available for a while.

My credit card was just charged. I had hoped it would arrive as a surprise before we leave for Hawaii Wednesday morning but now it seems we will be gone before it gets here.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I want to get a case for my wife’s M4 iPad Pro 13”. She doesn’t need heavy duty protection as she uses it almost exclusively at home but does take it with her when traveling.

It should have a stand that makes watching while sitting in bed and while on an airplane more convenient.

I may just go with the Apple Smart Folio for iPad Pro 13-inch (M4) since 3rd party cases are either not fully compatible or won’t be available for a while.

My credit card was just charged. I had hoped it would arrive as a surprise before we leave for Hawaii Wednesday morning but now it seems we will be gone before it gets here.
The new Apple Smart Folio is a nice case. It has new magnetic positions in back so when you fold the cover over the back, the lid can be attached to the rear in two positions of tilt In addition to the more vertical orientation.

Can you get the Smart Folio at an Apple Store or nearby Best Buy?

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
The new Apple Smart Folio is a nice case. It has new magnetic positions in back so when you fold the cover over the back, the lid can be attached to the rear in two positions of tilt In addition to the more vertical orientation.

I ordered one from Apple. It should be delivered tomorrow. My daughter who is house and dog sitting for us will need to receive the iPad for me while we are out of town. Thanks.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I ordered one from Apple. It should be delivered tomorrow. My daughter who is house and dog sitting for us will need to receive the iPad for me while we are out of town. Thanks.
I suggested the Apple Store or Best Buy because I thought you leaving on your trip on Wednesday. So that gave you today or tomorrow to get the case. I understood you ordered it through Apple. I was thinking if you got the case locally, you could return the other one later. :)

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator

My wife's iPad was delivered just after our flight took off. I didn't say anything other than I would have a surprise for her when we returned. She watched her 2015 iPad Pro on both 5 hour plus legs of our flight, needing to keep the iPad plugged in since the battery doesn't hold a charge very long anymore.

I put the Apple case on right away and it should be OK. It is a shame to put anything over the iPad but it is required for protection on trips and doesn't hurt around the house. The smaller and much thinner form factor feels great naked while holding the iPad.

The Nano coated OLED screen is amazing and my wife can't believe the improvement in video and her photos jump off the screen. The screen's anti-reflective property is what she loves most about the new iPad. We have a lot of windows that made viewing difficult for her before but she now even reads recipes in the kitchen directly under can lights and it is like they aren't even there. I'm hoping she takes some time to learn what the new technology and applications can offer but even if her usage patterns don't change, it is a big hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gary1
Recent bookmarks