What's new

iOS 10 (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Given the reported comparative performance figures, I might not bother upgrading to iOS10 if I have the iPhone 6, instead of 6s. I could imagine the bit of clunky/jankyness to become rather annoying on the 6... though I could be wrong about that.

_Man_

I haven't really noticed anything annoying on my 6+.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I guess I take certain things for granted like everyone knows when their phone is locked and shouldn't need an icon to remind them.

I too find the extra step (and bit of lag) needed to unlock-and-open my phone to be annoying, especially since it might lead to premature wearing out of the home button -- probably not an issue on the 7 since that home button is no longer mechanical.

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I seriously doubt the button will wear out on the 6.
I don't even get how there is an issue.

I always use the home button to open my 6 and now I don't even have to hold it in i just press it and the phone comes on.

Looking for things to complain about.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I haven't really noticed anything annoying on my 6+.

I keep noticing some jerkiness in scrolling, especially in the new widget slide-right page -- but definitely not exclusive to that page.

Also, not sure if this is actually Apple/iOS's fault, but the iOS 10 default keyboard seems more prone to usurp control over the SwiftKey keyboard I installed (and prefer) than previous iOS versions. And unlike previous versions, I'm not always able to force it to switch back to SwiftKey w/out exiting whichever app I'm using -- in older versions, I could usually do that just by switching to the emoji keyboard and then back, but this doesn't seem to work anymore.

Beyond that sort of jerky/buggy behavior, amongst other so-called "refinements", definitely not a fan of the Mail app's approach to present merged emails for an email thread -- it's basically unusable for my work emails, and also more annoying than helpful for most other personal email threads.

And if I want/need to avoid its clunky merged presentation or its showing every single email in the thread, I need to hit that teensy (rightward) arrow icon on the right of the email thread to get to a dropdown list of emails for that thread -- and then, the list stays dropped down until I hit that teensy (now downward) arrow instead, which can also be annoying. Since they already provide a couple user settings/options revolving around email threading, they should've included an option to stay w/ the old ("classic") way me thinks... at least until it becomes clear virtually nobody will miss the old way.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I always use the home button to open my 6 and now I don't even have to hold it in i just press it and the phone comes on.

Doesn't your phone lock and require passcode? Maybe you're not using the old passcode method, but iOS 10 now requires me to hit the home button (after the screen turns on) before I can enter passcode. That was never needed before.

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Passcode? No I set it to use my finger. I only need a passcode to unlock when I shut down and restart

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Because the iPhone 4 & 4s buttons started failing after two years. Three years and two iPhones since experiencing that, I still find myself inwardly counting every time I press the home button on my 6s and iPad, hoping the failure really was fixed.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, I definitely find myself pressing the home button quite a bit more w/ iOS 10 than before. Often, I end up pressing an extra time or two at the lock screen or similar because there's either some lag or it's just not registering -- the touchscreen also seems a bit less responsive than before. Even if it doesn't break/wear down prematurely, it's still rather annoying.

And yes, our old iPad 3's home button stopped being all that responsive w/in the 1st year of ownership and has been barely usable at all for the last couple years -- it's primarily used by our youngest nowadays, and she seems to get by w/ that.

Haven't actually had any other iOS device home buttons break down so far, but the thing obviously won't last forever...

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife and I each have an iPhone 6 (still running iOS 9.3.5).

I'm a bit surprised neither one of us has received the suggested push towards iOS 10 yet.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife and I each have an iPhone 6 (still running iOS 9.3.5).

I'm a bit surprised neither one of us has received the suggested push towards iOS 10 yet.

Finally got my "push" to download iOS 10.0.2 yesterday. I went ahead and had it download and install overnight.

If nothing else, the upgrade got me to add a passcode to my phone (long overdue considering the information installed on the device).

Still trying to figure out the visible changes for the user. Not seeing anything which completely confuses me.

I guess more people are running 10 now than 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks