What's new

iOS 10 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't understand apps in messages. I got several messages apps that don't do anything, like IMDb and yelp and Crossy road. There's just a little app icon in the pane where stickers or app controls should be.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don't really understand the apps in messages thing either but the lock screen notification revamp has to be my favorite iOS 10 change so far.

IMG_1528.PNG

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I like the idea of the new lock screen. But I'm still adjusting. I don't yet know which of the notifiers are actually useful to me yet.

The swipe for camera is great: a bit easier to get to the camera now.

I don't understand the lock / unlock state at the lock screen. When is it relevant to be unlocked but still on the "lock" screen?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Has anyone seen a feature compatibility list for ios10? What iPhones get what features?

Particularly, does iPhone 6 get the Messages update?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like it Dave.

In this video the guy is having trouble with his carrier and can't give a full demo of Messages, but there are some obvious differences as to what you see (such as the little icon to the left of the text box. There is now a drop-down menu of sorts.

The Messages section starts about 3:05.

I've got an iPhone 6, too.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not sure I like the pros more than the cons, LOL.

Seems a bit more cluttered/confusing (and Android-ish-clunky/janky in spots... at least on my 6s), losing some of the old simple, just-works elegance while gaining some niceties (probably borrowed/stolen from Android along w/ the bit of clunky/janky-ness, LOL)...

FWIW, I probably would've held out for a couple months or more (like I usually do) if the company didn't require us to update... certainly diff from how companies normally handle Windoze updates, LOL... :P

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've found Apple Maps to have significant new data errors as of iOS 10 compared to iOS 9. It's making major routing errors -- it's lost entire exits -- in routing to two locations that worked fine earlier this year. (I've submitted correction notices) I don't know if it's an iOS 10 error or something else.

And I Photos won't finish scanning my photos for faces. It's been stuck at about 5000 scanned and 800 remaining for a week. (I haven't rebooted my phone to see if that fixes it.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Overall, I like it.

I'm working on re-training myself to use the lock-screen notifications and info. My life isn't so busy that I really need that stuff, but it's handy. I like the quick access for the phone to call my wife. Having weather is nice.

Swipe left for camera? Nice iteration.

I'm getting to love the new notifications with Force Touch on the lock screen for interaction.

Lift to turn on? This is a re-learning experience, overcoming a couple of years of muscle memory. Overall, a good feature.

I'm still getting used to the "touch to unlock" vs "press to open" dichotomy.

The revised Apple Maps I'm still adjusting, but I think I'll like the new fatter, higher-visibility design.

Force Touch to select "flashlight" intensity? Cool!

Revised Control Center? Ok, I'm starting to get it. It's an extra step to get to audio controls, but refreshed design with more white space and more words is good.

Messages I'm enjoying. I don't message so much that I'm building a strong stickers "vocabulary", but it's fun. I like the increased expressiveness. That said, the Animated Gif interface is far inferior to Facebook's Messenger app. Facebook "just works". Apple is clunky and slow by comparison. I have they iterate it before iOS 11. And Messages is buggy for me: the order of Stickers and Apps is random and doesn't follow the ordering I set. I think the order changes overtime I launch Messages. Rebooting my phone does nothing.

Overall, it's nice. The weakness, as it were, is that the real juice was poured into Messages -- it's practically it's own mOS with it's own app store -- but for me it's not that big a deal and so it feels that the rest of iOS is just tweaked. I don't have major new upgrades like Apple Pay, Siri, Folders, Multitasking that impact my daily life immensely.

What am I missing...I'm missing something...oh yes, Photos. I think there are features here for me to discover. I've been snapping lots of photos of my movie room, but I'm just taking snapshots. I haven't really looked into the new Camera or Photos capabilities with its object recognition.

And, as I say there aren't many whiz-bang features, I haven't tried Messages Apps, third-party Siri integration, or much of Siri's increased powers. In part, the iPhone is at the limit of my needs: I don't use it during the day or at work. I don't receive much email. The stuff I want is more on the "new camera" and "please scrub all the stupid bugs with audio apps" and "make Apple Pay easier and more universal" type things. I enjoy messaging, but it doesn't rule my life.

Overall: good upgrade. no reason not to do it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Given the reported comparative performance figures, I might not bother upgrading to iOS10 if I have the iPhone 6, instead of 6s. I could imagine the bit of clunky/jankyness to become rather annoying on the 6... though I could be wrong about that.

_Man_

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
1. What happens when the person you're messaging has an older phone. What iMessage features will they and won't they be able to see?

2. Passwords. I remember I used to have an old yahoo.ca account. Time to update passwords to banks, credit cards, and maybe everything. How is the apple auto password suggestion feature? Anyone use it? Secure? Does it recall seamlessly across devices? Any concerns? (I would have started a new thread for this but I see we are missing a new thread option in this forum.

Thank you!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I updated and was blythly enjoying the new features. Then I tried to sync up with iTunes on my computer. Up pops a message that says my phone is not giving the proper response, and it will not recognize the phone at all.
Contributing factors?
1) Using iPhone 5a
2) We plan to buy new computers soon. This one is still using Windows XP and is about 7 years old.
3) I have rarely if ever had any problems with syncing before. My wife has not upgraded her iPhone 6 and it syncs fine.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DaveF: What iPhone do you have?
6s

1. What happens when the person you're messaging has an older phone. What iMessage features will they and won't they be able to see?

2. Passwords. I remember I used to have an old yahoo.ca account. Time to update passwords to banks, credit cards, and maybe everything. How is the apple auto password suggestion feature? Anyone use it? Secure? Does it recall seamlessly across devices? Any concerns? (I would have started a new thread for this but I see we are missing a new thread option in this forum.

Thank you!
Will see the images from stickers but they won't be positioned like on screen. (My wife upgraded before I did and she was texting me new stickers and images that aren't as interesting on the previous version of Messages.)

I updated and was blythly enjoying the new features. Then I tried to sync up with iTunes on my computer. Up pops a message that says my phone is not giving the proper response, and it will not recognize the phone at all.
That happens to me once in a while; it's not an iOS 10 issue. Quit iTunes and relaunch. If that fails, reboot the iPhone too.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm having a strange problem with Contacts in iOS 10. Creating a new contact within the Phone or Messages app adds it to Contacts within that app. But going to the Contacts app directly and it's not there. And going to my iMac, synced by iCloud, it never shows up.

Adding the contact manually to the Contacts app works normally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks