What's new

Inventing a product. Where do I begin? (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I'd like to make a device that has to do with product security. Being in the business of the particular product, I know nothing (yet) exists like this. I've mentioned it to a couple trustworthy people and they think it's a very good idea.

Anyway, I have no idea where to begin in making and patenting my idea. Are there any web pages with FAQs that can help me here? Anyone have advice?

Thanks,

Jeff

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
First piece of advice: SHUT UP.
Do not discuss this in public. Patent rights are generally waived FOREVER the day you make a public disclosure in most countries if your patent application isn’t already on file. I believe this is the law in Canada. At least the US gives you a 1 year grace period after blabbing about your invention in public to get it on file with the USPTO.
Discuss the invention ONLY with people who are bound to maintain the confidentiality of the discussions, e.g. your lawyers, coworkers bound by an employment contract, and the like.
You probably need to get a lawyer. Patent attorneys are expensive and most are "booked up" way in advance.
You need to go through the Canadian Patent Office http://cipo.gc.ca/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks