What's new

Interference on speaker wires from electrical lines? (1 Viewer)

DaveWeis

Auditioning
I'm getting ready to hook up my A/V receiver in my basement and I noticed that some of my speaker wires that I ran through the walls are very near to 120V AC lines. The speaker wires come as close as 1/4 inch to the AC lines. Could this be a likely source of noise or interference? Should I go through the hassle of rerouting the speaker wires, or is this unlikely to pose any noticeable noise? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If the wire you put into the walls was rated CL2/3, meaning it meets code for in-wall installation per the NEC, and it's twisted, I wouldn't worry about it.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
All of mine are in the same position and I have not noticed any noise at all through my speakers. I used 12/10 awg stranded high temp/high volt wire. I have always used that type of wire without any trouble so far.
I asked Chu about other issues in another thread and feel everything is just fine with the way I ran my wires.

DaveWeis

Auditioning
Thanks Guys, unfortunately I ran Monster XP speaker wire, not CL2/3. I guess I'll find out when I hook it up whether or not the 120V lines will cause interference.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well what you could do is use the Monster as a 'snake' and pull some inwall rated stuff through. That is if you intend on meeting local building code and all that. I won't tell you to attach one end to a drill and just twist it. Right? I didn't tell you that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks