Interference on speaker wires from electrical lines?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DaveWeis, Jun 5, 2003.

1. DaveWeis

DaveWeis Auditioning

I'm getting ready to hook up my A/V receiver in my basement and I noticed that some of my speaker wires that I ran through the walls are very near to 120V AC lines. The speaker wires come as close as 1/4 inch to the AC lines. Could this be a likely source of noise or interference? Should I go through the hassle of rerouting the speaker wires, or is this unlikely to pose any noticeable noise? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If the wire you put into the walls was rated CL2/3, meaning it meets code for in-wall installation per the NEC, and it's twisted, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

All of mine are in the same position and I have not noticed any noise at all through my speakers. I used 12/10 awg stranded high temp/high volt wire. I have always used that type of wire without any trouble so far.
    I asked Chu about other issues in another thread and feel everything is just fine with the way I ran my wires.

4. DaveWeis

DaveWeis Auditioning

Thanks Guys, unfortunately I ran Monster XP speaker wire, not CL2/3. I guess I'll find out when I hook it up whether or not the 120V lines will cause interference.

5. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I think heat is the big factor. If it is not in an attic you will be ok.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well what you could do is use the Monster as a 'snake' and pull some inwall rated stuff through. That is if you intend on meeting local building code and all that. I won't tell you to attach one end to a drill and just twist it. Right? I didn't tell you that.