What's new

interesting article I read about Facts Of Life on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I personally couldn't agree with it more. It's one of my most wanted shows but of course who knows if Sony would ever get around to release it all... and better yet, why do shortlived shows like Action and Dilbert get preferential treatment by Sony to shows that actually had a long run?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just want the first season when they had the larger group of girls. :D Especially, Nancy :b

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
"I've just had another one of my brilliant ideas . . . "

Despite what nearly everyone says, the first season was very cute regardless of the bad ratings. I'd love season sets but I'm not stupid enough to expect all nine seasons. Frankly, the show went down in quality quite a bit after a while. But the first few seasons would be great to own.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
My boyfriend asks me about this every freaking single week, so I am ALL FOR Sony releasing this as soon as possible.

If they're so worried about Season One not selling well, start with Season Five or the "best" rated and then work from there. I don't see the music rights being such a huge issue (especially the songs listed) since I've heard of only one of them. I am a child of the 80s and I am who the sets should be geared to.

Bah! It might be easier to track down VHS releases or television airings than it is to find reason with this.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

I got to know her a few years later when she had moved back to NY. Most unbelievable looking girl I've ever talked to. I could barely breathe when I was looking at her.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I think season 1 and 2 should be released together, season 1 was 13 episodes and season 2 (which was the year of the infamous strike) was 16 episodes, I think seasons 1 and 2 combined would fair well since 29 episodes is enough episodes for one package IMO

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

if the first 3 or 4 seasons sell well enough, I think we'd eventually get the entire run, most people think the last 2 seasons of Good Times were awful but the other sets sold well enough that we got season 5 and season 6 will come sometime in 2006

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I think it's a good idea to combine seasons 1 and 2, as they did with Seinfeld, NewsRadio and Just Shoot Me (none of which I bought):

Disc 1: 7 episodes
Disc 2: 8 episodes (includes 2 part S2 premiere)
Disc 3: 7 episodes
Disc 4: 7 episodes

For an MSRP of no more than $34.95, I can see this doing well.

The amount of music used is nowhere near as much as, say, WKRP in Cincinnati or Miami Vice, and if it's only a few songs each year it's not so bad. They licensed all the songs on The Nanny S1 (about a dozen if I recall correctly), and there were a few songs on The Jeffersons S4. But then there's Married with Children and Dawson's Creek...

Anyway, it is my hope that Sony intends to do this the right way (uncut, music intact, original logos, and would a few extras kill them?). They've mucked up so many releases in so many ways.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
sounds like a great idea. I think Sony is missing out on a goldmine by not releasing FOL on DVD sooner. I know Diff'rent Strokes hasn't been the biggest hit on DVD but I think Facts would be a bigger seller than Strokes because Facts has actually become something of a minor cult hit in recent years, look at how high it is on TVShowsonDVD.com and you'll see huge fans who weren't even born when the last episode aired in 1988 who post as huge fans on Facts boards. Strokes is popular too but I don't think it really has as many "die hard" fans the way FOL has. I think if/when Sony gets around to releasing it, they will definately be pleased with the sales results, especially since the show isn't currently on N@N/TV Land or any other channel that you'd think would air the show.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

seasons 1-3 are available via Comcast, but I don't get it nor know anyone else who does

John*P

Second Unit
I think seasons 1 and 2 should be released in the same box, and the cover art should be a cast photo from season 2. They could have a smaller pic of the season 1 cast on the back cover.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
that is very true. Definately promote Jo, yet at the same time, sell to curious 80's lovers who might've not watched the show on the fact that Molly Ringwald was part of the cast.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I think Sony should sell the first and second seasons of Facts separately. I know they released season 1 and 2 of "That's My Mama" separately on the same day, and I know there are more "Facts" fans than "Mama" fans. They also released the "Tabitha" series and that set only had 12 episodes.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

if Sony is going to go that route, then release season 1 and 2 (29 episodes combined) on one set, and season 3 by itself on the same day, like Sony did with Seinfeld, at least that way Sony definately has kicked the door open with the show on DVD. Usually IMO, by the time season 3 comes out on DVD, I think most consumers are pretty confident with owning the show.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
What noone here at HTF is talking about - that I've seen anyway - is how Lionsgate is skipping season 1 of "1-800-Missing" (retitled to simply "Missing" in the second season), and going straight to a 2nd season release. Why? Because, like Facts of Life and many others, the show's first season didn't represent what fans liked about the show. So Lionsgate for one is trying the "skip a season" route. Let's see how it goes, and see if the other studios are paying attention! :D

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
out of curiosity, does anyone know what Sony has against this show and One Day At A Time? I mean, regardless if you like them or not, VIP, She Spies and Grosse Pointe (this is not a tv adaptation of the John Cusack movie, is it?) coming out on DVD before FOL or ODAAT doesn't make sense. ODAAT was #2 on the recent Sony TV-DVD poll, higher than VIP or Action, and at the same time, FOL is #5 on TVShowsOnDVD's unreleased DVD list, both shows ran nine seasons so it'd be awhile to get the whole series' out, so why does Sony keep picking out lesser-known shows in favor of two series in which the fans have basically gotten down on their knees trying to kiss butt to get a release for? I find it funny they won't release Mad About You season 3 (among others) but think She Spies will be Seinfeld #2.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The first 2 seasons together would be great and would solve the problem with season one, which I'd buy even if it were sold separately. I'm wondering if music rights are a problem with this series, although I can't remember there being a lot of music on the show.

Also, if anyone is trying to make sense out of what the studios do and don't release and when they do or don't release them then you are trying to find an ice cream stand in the dessert. It ain't gonna happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks