What's new

Interested in RL2? you have to look at these! (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
*yawn*
Yeah, I've played it.
sleep.gif
:)
------------------
-J.Fo
"I believe you'd get your ass kicked saying something like that."

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Jeffrey,
Anymore taunting and we are going to make you watch a brainless popcorn movie, such as ......... Armageddon!!!
laugh.gif

-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Dean, the titles you gave linking to each video were deliberate attempts to make me watch them on my pathetic 56k set up.......it work damn you! :) The debris flying about in that first out is absolutely incredible.
Jeffrey, on levels with said debris can it actually hit you and do serious (read "fatal") damage?
Anymore taunting and we are going to make you watch a brainless popcorn movie, such as ......... Armageddon!!!
Yes, yes......the DIRECTOR'S CUT!
Dan (UK)
PS: "Luke, Enemy fighters from all directions!" OH BABY!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Great googly-moogly! The "If you don't like it, You're not alive" link was awesome (and hilarious). I never dreamt of seeing a flag-corps composed of Stormtroopers :)
After playing Rogue Squadron, I sat hoped that a next-gen version would be made. It seems the video-game fairy really out-did herself this time.

Leroy

Second Unit
This is really the only title coming out for the GC that could persuade me to purchase one, but it seems like simply a graphical makeover than anything else. The water effects on the beach landing levels look awesome BTW.
Is there anything new as compared to the PC/N64 Roque Squadron games (i.e. more freedom of movement, less of an "on rails" feel)?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is there anything new as compared to the PC/N64 Roque Squadron games (i.e. more freedom of movement, less of an "on rails" feel)?
What do you mean by "on rails" for RS? So far as videogames go, it was pretty open in any level, with a decent size area to fly within.
In any case, from what I've read, RL shares the same basic gameplay style with RS, but has improved wingman AI and as well as the ability to issue orders to your wingmen, along with more detailed and involved levels.

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator
You are probably going to hate me for this.....
I was SO hyped about this game and the GameCube until I had a chance to play RL for about a half-hour this past weekend at the Mall of America.
The good: Gameplay was fun, models and textures were awesome. Plus there were always tons of ships and weapon fire on screen. Sounds were straight for the films.
The bad: Jaggies, tons of them. The whole screen was flickering in some levels. I hope this wasn't the final version (but I think it was) because it really took me out of the game. All of the Gamecube games shown seemed to either have the anti-alising off. I was expecting what I saw in the screenshots, but in real life it doesn't even look close. I was very disappointed. They had RL playing in a separate section of a big screen TV hooked up to a surround system. I talked to one of the Nintendo reps and he claimed the bigscreen they had there was running off the composite cables, I hope it wasn't because I was NOT impressed at all.
If the final version looks more like the screenshots I will buy the cube for this game alone, and very GLADY eat my words. In fact I really WANT to get this game, I just can't with it looking so bad. I don't blame the programmers, because all the cube games looked like that....
So I cancelled my pre-order, and am now ordering a X-box as I was able to play this, and WAS impressed. Who knew?
My views do not reflect the views of my employer or anybody else besides me.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Heh I don't hate you Trevor :) I could pick flaws in even the the mov files above as with any game mov for that matter. I'm going to rent a Cube with this game for a weekend ( friend that has finished it already has told me that is all it takes to beat it ) and then wait for Nintendo to show me that the Cube isn't another N64. The only negative thing that "pops" out at me in these mov files is the radio chatter, its going to drive me nuts when I play the game.
Dean
[Edited last by Dean Cooper on November 01, 2001 at 12:15 PM]

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the movies, this does look like a good game.
Trevor,
Thanks for the insightful review, oh and um WELCOME ABOARD!
Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

[Edited last by Troy LaMont on November 01, 2001 at 12:34 PM]
[Edited last by Troy LaMont on November 01, 2001 at 12:35 PM]

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I talked to one of the Nintendo reps and he claimed the bigscreen they had there was running off the composite cables, I hope it wasn't because I was NOT impressed at all.
Are you getting your composites and componets confused here? The issues of jaggies and flickering a common to the standard composite cable hook up and you're certainly the first I've seen to voice such issues which leads me to believe such problems are non-existent upon using the s-video and (better yet for progressive) component hook up.
Dan (UK)

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator
I was asking the rep about high-def and he mentioned they had that running. It looked EXACTLY the same, so i think he was mistaken.
BTW, I really do hope those problems go away. But I AM very picky about graphics (I make graphics for a major videogame company).
My opinions do not relect the views of my company of anybody else execpt me.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Before I started one of my sessions of Rogue Leader (this took place in the private booth display), I checked out the options menu to see what kind of display choices I had. One of the things I noticed was that there was a setting to switch from interlaced to progressive, and the game was set to interlaced.
Besides, if you're going to let a few jaggies (which I didn't really notice to be honest) persuade you to not purchase this game, I would bet that you weren't really serious about it for the get-go
Yes, yes......the DIRECTOR'S CUT!
Okay... Okay... I'll be a good boy from now on! Just keep that movie away from me!!!
------------------
-J.Fo
"I believe you'd get your ass kicked saying something like that."

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,
I will proablly end up buying a cube, just not at launch.
What bugged me about the jaggies was that I wasn't expecting them. The movies and screenshots didnt display any jaggies, so i was disapointed when they were there. Everything I saw looked so awsome I wanted to be blown away. I hope the next time I play I'll overlook them because I know what to expect now.
If the settings were wrong, that would explain alot. I''m going to be checking this game aout as much as I can until launch. I dont deny is looks like an AWSOME game, and a definate system seller.
I'm just a picky bastard. :)
These views are mine and .....oh you get the idea....

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Great! With DSL you can take advantage of the built in broadband adapter in the Xbox. Oh! I almost forgot, you don't believe in adding features to consoles!
Sorry, I couldn't pass that up.
wink.gif

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Congrats on the broadband Morgan! you'll never go back. Its scary,I've been a broadband user for over 7 years now. I was a beta tester for the first cable modems here, now I'm using DSL...man how time flies.
Dean
[Edited last by Dean Cooper on November 02, 2001 at 12:39 AM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
When I eventually get an X-Box, I probably won't use the broadband because I have to pay for the use. The PS2 does online for free (and I have a USB to ethernet adapter that plugs right into the modem which I think I can use for the PS2).
I love my DSL already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks