What's new

Integra 7.2 - Any reviews? (1 Viewer)

AllanW

Grip
How does this compare to the Onkyo 797 and Denon 3802?
Does the 7.2 offer the DPLII Music variable parameters?
Anyone know what it should cost in Canada?
Thanks,
Allan

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
All I know is the 787 (older version of the 797) retailed for about $2000.00 CAD if I'm not mistaken. I was very interested in the Onkyo 797, but not if its that much money.
Whats up with NOBODY carrying Onkyo in Ontario? Everybody only carries Integra. Onkyo's can't be that bad compared to their Integra counterparts, are they?

AllanW

Grip
Chris,
What stores carry Integra in Ontario? I have found many that carry Onkyo in Ottawa, but only one that carries Integra. If you look hard you can get both the Integra 7.2 and Onkyo 797 for way less then $2000.
But I am wondering if the Integra 7.2 is THAT much better then the Denon 3802 to give up that second rear center channel. The 797 or 7.2 only have 1 rear center powered channel and the Denon 3802 has 2 center rear powered channels.

AllenD

Second Unit
I've only had the 7.2 for a few weeks now. (Upgraded from the 787 for DPLII and Y/C separator.) I'm not using the surround back channel, yet so I can't comment on it. Nor can I comment on the Denon comparison. What I can tell you is DPLII sounds great for my timeshifting programs. I didn't think it would really improve the sound quality that much when compared to plain old DPL. The audio sounds cleaner from my HDSTB, for non 5.1 programs, and 2.0/mono programs recorded on the VCR. I watched a recorded episode of Enterprise (can't recall EPs title) in DPLII. There was a scene where a shuttle had fallen underground because of an earthquake. When the shuttle fell it was convincing it was falling as the sound panned from the front right to the rear right. It's a very near 5.1 experience. The way I could compare DPL to DPLII is DPL sounds muffled compared to DPLII. Improvement in this respect alone is worth the upgrade to me.
For music, the highs are more detailed now. I had experienced some breakup in the highs with the 787 and my Monitor 7 combo. I don't hear it anymore with the 7.2. Bass is slightly improved when in direct mode to bypass the sub. And finally, the upgradeable feature to me was the deal maker. The $950 USD price tag my dealer gave me also helped. :)
I'll post a longer, more detailed review in the future. If you have any specific questions about the 7.2, feel free to ask.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I have a brand new Marantz SR 6200. I have had it in for repair for 4 weeks now (well, by this thursday). I might return it for something else and the store I bought the 6200 from carries Integra and can "get in" Onkyo if I really want it. Since I've had all this time, I have been thinking and kinda shopping, so naturally, if the 6200 doesn't work for me, I'll move up, rather than sideways. I had thought about the Denon, but I am going to focus on the Onkyo 797 for now. I don't have the room for the rear center speakers, and probably won't for a year or so. If the Denon 3802 could be had for the same price as the Onkyo 797, I would think about it.
I don't see the point of the DTR 7.2 for myself. Plus, I am not sure I would like the bass control. I like lots of bass. Not too much, but an extra 3 or 4 dB's in the bottom end, especially when listening at lower volumes. The DTR 7.2 has a bass control of 100 hz and the Onkyo TX-DS 797 has a bass control of 50 hz. My Technics has a bass control centered on 50 hz and I like that.
I can't really afford a 797 right now. I hope my 6200 is fixed when I get it back, because I don't really want to trade it in and buy something else. Other than the common defect problems, the receiver is a good unit. I hope this is all part of one big defect or quality control fiasco that won't continue in the future. I would also consider the SR 8200, but when the heck is that coming out? Will it be faulty too?
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 13, 2001 at 06:56 PM]

AllanW

Grip
AllenD:
Thanks for replying on my topic on hometheatre forum. What made you buy the 7.2 instead of the Onkyo 797, they both seem identical.
Besides the DPLII, does the Integra seem better then the Onkyo?
Can you tell me if the DPLII Music option lets you adjust the 3 variables. (dimension, width, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks