What's new

Insulation (1 Viewer)

DerekB

Auditioning
I am installing a home theater in my basement, directly below a well-traveled area on the first floor. In it's unfinished state with no existing insulation or ceiling, the basement is privy to even the lightest footsteps on the wood floors above. I obviously plan to insulate the new ceiling of my home theater, but I'd love to hear what others have used that best soundproofs a theater.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Derek..you exactly described my situation. Once I finished...I could not hear footsteps let alone talking or loud screams for that matter...check out my site and you'll see what I did. :D

E

DerekB

Auditioning
Wow! Did I say "Wow!"
You answered the the above question and many subsequent ones. Thank you! Awesome Theater. Of course, all your great work and photos prompts a few more questions if you don't mind...

(1) What is the height of your ceiling? I plan to use a DLP projector, suspended from the ceiling, but I'm a bit concerned because my basement is only 8' from the floor to the bottom of the joist.
(2) I'd be interested to know what universal remote you are using, and does it control the many lighting sources in your room? If not, what equipment did you use for lighting (in terms of controllers/dimmers)/
(3) What type of speaker cable did you use?

Once again, great work on your theater . I'm very jealous right about now. And thanks for your help!

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Derek, Thanks buddy for the kind words!

The heigth of the ceiling is like 8'2"...and I wouldn't worry about your 8' clearance (unfinished) you'll have plenty of room...especially if you mount your screen higher rather then lower on the wall.

I'm just using the remote that came with my Rotel RSP1066...is programable and I only need it for my TV (Rarely change inputs), and dvd player. I'll be updating my website shortly with what I did for lighting but in short I bought a dimmer that can be programed from ANY remote to turn on/off and dim the lights! :D

I just bought 12 gauge speaker cable from home depot.

Feel free to e-mail me at anytime with questions, etc....

E

Rich Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Erik,

I've been meaning to ask you how you hung/attached the surround speaker shelves to the wall without some support underneath...looks like any weight at all would be problematic. How did you do it?

I want to to the same thing in my new room as I won't have much room below (have to allow clearance for a 6'8" door with an 8' ceiling!).

Oh, and what dimmer did you buy? I'm gonna need to control 4 sconces and possibly a ceiling fan light.

Thanks,

Rich

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Rich, I assume you're talking about the rear surrounds shelves? As I've stated before, I did not do a good job documenting what I did early on in my construction, as I did later. What I did during framing was build those shelves directly into the 2x4 walls, essentially anchoring them to the 2x4 studs. Then I just sheet rocked around them and put the carpet over the shelf, creating a floating shelf appearance. Those babies are strong, heck I could sit up there if I wanted!

Here's a crude diagram:

1 1
1-1-------1
1-1-------1
1 1
1 1
1 1

Profile of wall: As you can see...the shelf (represented by "-")sits "back" into the 2x4 cavity wall. I also braced (represented by the 2's) the shelf on the top and bottom so that it would not "wiggle" up and down in the wall. Kinda hard to show, so let me know if this doesn't make sense! Let me know if I can help! :D

I'll be updating my website tonight with dimmer info...so hang tight!;)

Shoot me an e-mail if it's easier for ya...

E

Rich Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Erik, that sounds like a good plan for the shelf. Unfortunately I doubt my builder will allow me to do this prior to sheetrocking - so I'm gonna have to come up with an alternative plan. Bummer.

I really like the clean look your shelves have and the lack of visible supports underneath - a must for me and my limited clearance.

Look forward to reading more about your lighting!

Thanks,

Rich

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Rich, I'd at least float it by your building...it's no different for the sheetrockers then when they have to "cut out" for a receptical or light! The worst they can say is no...if I were you I'd ask! :D

E

Rich Stone

Stunt Coordinator
I might ask - it's just that I've asked for so much. They've been pretty gracious so far. I'll give it some more thought......

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks