What's new

Information about Video Stabilizers (1 Viewer)

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
What are video stabilizers, what do they do, how much do they cost, where can they be bought?

I've got the following components:

32" Hitachi analog tv
Panasonic DMR-E50 dvd recorder
Pioneer DVL-909 dvd player
Sony DVP-NS700P dvd player
Sony SLV-740HF VCR
Sony SLV-779HF VCR

Right now my current stup is for recording television shows and VHS tapes using my dvd recorder. I plan to use a combination of my dvd player and dvd recorder to make duplicate dvd-r's of some old home movies for other family members.

Will my current setup benefit from a video stabilizer?

Jeffrey_Bilyeau

Auditioning
Hi Mark,

Haven't checked this forum for a couple of weeks, but recently saw your post and thought I would put in my two cents worth for what it's worth.

I have the Panasonic DMR-E80 (love it by the way) and one of the things I use it for is archiving VHS tapes, particularly the older ones which are starting to get rather worn. I use the Facet Video Clarifier in my setup and do notice some improvement in picture quality. In the case of VHS movies with Macrovision protection, it's a must.

I did a lot of research on the web and found the Facet unit seems to have the most bang for the buck (about $89 I think I paid + shipping). It has one very important feature and one downside, both worth mentioning.

The good...

It will handle both Composite and S-Video inputs and can automatically setect the live input and route it to the proper composite or S-Video output. I feed both my Toshiba DVD S-vid output and Hitachi VCR Composite output to the Facet (only one actually live at a time) and route the Facet Composite output to the L1 composite input on my E80 and the DVD S-Vid output to L2 S-Vid input. I "Y" the LR audio connections to both L1 & L2. It works like a champ. In fact, selecting L3 input which is normally assigned to the front panel jacks on the E80 seems to somehow grab L1 or L2 automatically depending on which one is live so I don't even need to worry about input switching on the E80.

The bad....

If you happen to archive the odd comercial VHS or DVD movie (strictly for backup purposes of course!)
the Facet unit will strip out the closed captions along with the copy guard data. No way to get around that.

As far as picture quality is concerned, I've got no complaints whatsoever.

Hope this has been helpful. Let me know!

Jeff, Naples FL

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
I have read that somepeople experience that it can only record in black and white. Have you experieced this problem wth the clarifier?

Brian Co

Grip
I have the Facet unit as well in combination with an E-80, and I've never seen nor heard of the end recording coming out in black and white only.

Andy Yanovskiy

Auditioning
Hi Mark!
May be DVD Red or DVD Red Pro device can help you. This is device that can do what you describe and it is chipper. And I know that it is reliable. I have it in my home. No problem when I am using it. Do not remember their site well.
But you can find it in Internet.
Write me if you need help.
Good luck.

Andy Yanovskiy

Auditioning
Hi Andy!
I have a problem with my DVD. I've tried to copy DVD disks to my home VHS. Earlier I've made some copies (it was not licence disks I think), but not long time ago I bought in shop new disks. And I have a problem. I can't copy it. Can you help with advice to buy device as you wrote above (DVD Red). Did you tell about website dimax.com.ua?
I need help.
Thanks in advice.

Antuan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks