What's new

InFocus 4805 Performance (1 Viewer)

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
It's true, the M1 port really doesn't do well with any signal it sees. Don't know why they just didn't add another Component Port and left out the M1. It's labeled COMPUTER so It seems that's what it is best at. But who would want to use the PJ as a Moniter?

Anyway, guess I'm mostly satisfied. HD does look very good along with DVD. Some SD Channels aren't too bad..........

If only the Local Stations would get with it and make the switch (completely) to Digital AND... Cable Companies actually passed that along we would all be alot happier.

Our local CBS affiliate has yet to even start the mandated conversion.

James Phung

Second Unit
M1 is good for those wanting to use a DVI/HDMI dvd player. Quite a few people use a HTPC (home theater pc) with the 4805 with stunning results (they say nothing compares) for DVD and HDTV as they are able to map a picture close to the native resolution of the 4805.

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't know they had DVD Players with DVI. It would still be better if the PJ had a DVI port instead of this proprietary M1 port. You then wouldn't need their adapters and cables.

James:
You say people use a PC with DVD to Map the picture to the native resolution of the 4805. Doesn't that bypass the Faroudja chip? The PJ only does 480P so everything under is processed ( de-interlaced ) and everything over is downconverted..correct? My Cable Box IS set to 480i overide for SDTV and is fed to the Component port.

You said " only the S-Vid and Component Ports can use the Faroudja processing" but wouldn't the M1 port have to change any siganl that isn't 480P

Sorry for what may be stupid questions.........

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The Bravo D1 DVD player will also allow custom resolutions. I have some photos of the X1 and 4805 Faroudja chips in action as well as the comparison between setting to native res, 720p and 1080i in the link to "My Gear" in my sig. Check 'em out!

James Phung

Second Unit

People who are using HTPC are bypassing the Faroudja chip. With htpcs, there are endless possibilities to tweak with the settings and give a great video output. For example, htpcs can set a custom refresh of 48hz for film dvd, where this would eliminate 3:2 pulldown. Of course, htpcs can add up to a lot, much more $$$ than most dvd players(not to mention the time it takes to tweak in the perfect settings).

There are a handful of dvd players out that allow custom resolutions and refresh rates, like the Bravo D1 mentioned above and Momitsu players. However, there seems to be some reliability issues with them and none of them are motion-adaptive deinterlacers.

For some reason, the M1 port on the 4805 does not have Faroudja process video signals that are not above 480p. Though it can take in 480i, it will not be processed by Faroudja, and it will just simply scale the picture to 480p (and not deinterlace it) giving a not so great picture. So the signal is being changed, but it's not being deintlerlaced by faroudja. So when I send 480i from my cable box over dvi to the 4805, it gives me some odd resolution that it is scaling instead of processed 480i.

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding the M1 port: I'd have to say the manual is misleading as it states "using DVI to the M1 port delivers the best quality Video"

I'm thinking about a Component switch as James suggested.....

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

No, it's not misleading, it is potentially best, it depends on the source.

There's no magic the the Faroudja process, it's meant to get a nice picture from less-than-pristine 480i sources. Many lesser DVD players benefit from it, as the chip tends to do a better job de-interlacing than the player's internal one.

James Phung

Second Unit
480i is not part of dvi spec, but my SA 3250HD is still able to send 480i over it. The 4805 sees it as some odd resolution and merely scales it to 480p.

terence

Supporting Actor
James,

hate to hear you are not to pleased with your PQ as of late. Everttime i turn on my 4805 it still blows me away, but i to ask.

Dose your receiver allow you to run componet video thru it?

If so you can try running your cable HD and dvd thru the receiver and let it do the swithcing for you. That is how i'm running my video to the 4805, and works with no issues. Good luck!

James Phung

Second Unit
Woah there, I don't believe I said anything about me not being pleased with the 4805.

I guess you meant John.

:)

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah it's me doing all the Whining :)....

Let me clarify. I do see that the 4805 can produce a great image with a good signal or feed. For the cost, it does do a good job. Part of the problem is/was me trying to get a handle on what to feed which input. I now see that the M1 port won't help either my HD or SDTV signal, at least with what I feed it. My HD Channels look great and DVD is good. I just expected too much from SDTV. So, other than not having an extra Component Port and not switching from HD to SDTV very well, I would have to say I got allot of bang for the buck.

Terence: Unfortunately my AV RECVR in the HT room doesn't do Component video switching, just Composite and S-Vid. Last year a bought an HK AVR 7200 for upstairs and I now realize it only does S-Vid and Composite. That was their top of the line Unit at the time. Guess I wasn't paying attention.

Anyway, that would be something to try. Any suggestions for a decent AVR that does Component switching?

James Phung

Second Unit
Pretty much any new receiver now can do good component switching, it really depends more now on budget and your own preferences for what receiver you should get.

Another alternative is to get a component switch box. They range anywhere from $20 (that you can get at walmart) to $200+.

terence

Supporting Actor

As mention above by James, any receiver these days can do component swithching or buying a box to do it. BUT if you are looking a excuse to upgrade, try this one over at Accessories4less.com for great price.

MARANTZ SR7400

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah that's not s bad price. (refurb though)

I ended up trying the M1 Component adapter again. I'm feeding it Progressive DVD. I also have another DVD Player going to the S-Vid. In comparing I would say the images are pretty close with a slight edge going to the S-Vid. The M1 image seems brighter and a tad washed out. I selected CRT in the Gamma setting and it helped.

Have to watch more but it seems like this is where I'll leave things. Using the Component port for my Cable Box as it gives the best combination for HD and SDTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks