What's new

Info on these DVD Recorders? (1 Viewer)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
So, I was flipping through my winter 2002 Tweeter catalog when I noticed they had 2 DVD recorders listed.
1) Link Removed $999
2) Pioneer Elite DVD-R/RW Recorder $1799
Does anyone have any experience with either/both of these?
The Pioneer one is a progressive scan player and the panasonic one doesn't seem to be as far as I know, pioneer's also has RW capability so you can rerecord.
So, what I'm wondering.. is how do these work? Is it just like a VCR, only it's DVD? Like, you just pop in a blank dvd, hit record and save the simpsons to watch later on? Or, do you have to record to an internal hard drive then burn the dvd? Basically, is this going to finally be the VCR replacement I've always wanted DVDs to be, where it does everything good a VCR can do, but it's the supercool quality of a DVD? That's really what I am looking for :)
Now also, if I could afford either one, which one would I be better off with?
Also, do these support recording in HDTV and DD5.1?

Art_C

Stunt Coordinator
I think CNET had an article about these new DVD recorders. Use their search engine and you probably can find some reviews/articles. BTW, I think they are cheaper than the prices that you quoted.

John Graves

Agent
Hi Tim,
I just bought a Pioneer PRV-9000, the "industrial" version of the 7000. It's a GREAT machine!
The way it is set up, think of it as a VCR that uses DVD media instead of cassettes. Virtually all of the features you'd expect to find on a vcr are included (cable ready tuner, programming, vcr+, commercial skip, etc.).
The biggest problem: as a 'player', it actually outperforms my Pioneer Elite DV-05! I purchased the 9000 as a DVD-burner and did not intend to replace the 05. Now I'm reconsidering!
Not only does the 9000 feature DV in/out, but has a major group of picture adjustments that can be set up for each input you record from, and 3 preset and 3 programmable modes for playback.
Good Viewing,
John G :emoji_thumbsup:

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
Cool thanks for the info :)
I'm not planning to get a new player till I get my new giant HDTV, then I'll want a good prog. scan player to go along with it, so I was thinking maybe the recordable players might be the way to go, from what you say it sounds like it is :) How much did you pay for your player if I may ask?
Hopefully by the time I get all the cash saved up, the prices will be down a bit :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks