Infinity Interludes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by STLMIKE, Jan 22, 2003.

1. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

This is apparently a discontinued model for Infinity...does anyone have any experience w/these? How do these compare to the current Alpha or Entra lines?

I've found a set on sale, and am interested in these, but am curious if these are just a rebadged product.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mike,
    I was wondering the same thing actually. From the looks of it, the interludes look just like the entras. From my demo at Ultimate Electronics over in brentwood, the alpha's sounded much better than the Entra lines. Of course the guy there kept trying to steer me towards the Kappa line and even the Martin Logans, yet he couldn't understand that i don't have that kind of dough at the momento...perhaps after med school...who knows...If you haven't gone over to Music for Pleasure off Big Bend (ask for Rob or Adam), definitely go listen to the Acoustic Energy Evo 1 there. I think it sounded better than both the alpha and the entra bookshelves.

- asim

3. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

The Interludes are a pretty good step up from the Entras. When the Interludes first came out they were quite expensive considering their build quality. However they can be had at Ubid for such a discount now that they are a steal. Like many speakers with a metal tweeter, they can be fatiguing to listen to after awhile, so I feel they make better HT speakers than music. Infinity has managed to avoid much of the ringing by utilizing their ceramic overlay technology.

4. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Like Russell said, the Interludes are much better than the Entras even though they share similar styling.

5. STLMIKE

Well, I hope they work OK, because I just ordered a 5.1 setup from Ubid (I have 2 of the Infinity Quadropole surrounds that I'm going to use for my 7.1 side speakers).

I'm glad to hear that they are a step up from the Entras -- (I guess the Alphas replaced the IL's?) my Ubid order was a couple hundred less than what I could have gotten Entras for at Crutchfield or CC. Alphas would have been even more of a price difference.

And while it's really not a big deal, I think the ILs look better w/the light grey speaker grilles on black.

I just hope they don't come in damaged....I've never dealt w/Ubid before...

Mike

6. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mike,

I have a pair of IL60s, IL10s, a IL36C, and a IL25C. I think they sound great and are a step up from both the entras and the alphas that replaced them. But as Russell said they have metal tweeters and really take a while to break in. Until that happens they'll really make you tired. Also if you bought one of their subs you should get the RABOS kit. You will notice the difference.

Phil

7. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Phil, you are 100% correct about the RABOS. I got a couple of IL120 subs off of ubid for a very good price, and with RABOS properly set up, I honestly don't think anything at or even near the price I paid for them can even come close. RABOS makes a dramatic, obvious and noticeable difference.

8. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mark,

I couldn't agree with you more. These are some of the most underated speakers out there. Esp for the price they are going for. I got my whole set for $1500 and I bet you could beat that price now.

Phil

9. STLMIKE

To all: How do you get the RABOS kit? I've read a lot of reviews on the IL subs and everyone says to get the kit.

I emailed Infinity on how to get it, but I'm sure they read their messages like once a year...

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Mike

10. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

11. Najib_H

Najib_H Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mike

I own the IL40, IL36, IL10, and the IL120 sub along with the Alpha dipole speakers. My friend just got the whole Alpha set up and we just set up today. Comparing the two the Interludes sound so much better, Im not bragging but the alpha sub you could not even hear them at all. I know the senstivity is higher on the alphas so they sound louder than the interludes. I was really considering getting rid of mu ludes and getting the alphas but after hearing them no way.

I work at Circuit city and I talked to our Harman Kardon rep and he even said the interludes were better than the alphas

Thats my two cent but hear them for yourself

Najib
    www.roninonline.com

12. Steve Alan

Steve Alan Agent

Another CC employee vote for the interludes over the new alpha series. The alpha series are WAY to bright sounding. The interludes have a smooter, more even sound to them. Infinity is building speakers now just to compete with Polk, DCM/MTX, and other high efficiency, high output speakers that appeal to the masses

13. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I'll agree. I really like the Alphas, but there's this nagging linger that the Interludes sounded better just at a lower volume.

14. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

I'm asking about this stuff over in another thread, but this thread is also going my way.

What do people think of the subs specifically-- especially the 12" ones in both lines? The only thing that references the subs specifically is Najib's comment that "the alpha sub you could not even hear them at all" which I assume means that the Alpha sub was a lot quieter.

Anybody else have anything to say about the subs?

Thanks in advance,

Me

15. STLMIKE

My sub hasn't arrived yet (it should tomorrow), but I've also ordered the RABOS kit (based on a ton of recommendations). My bookshelfs did arrive today, however, and I'm very pleased w/them.

Mike

16. Najib_H

Najib_H Stunt Coordinator

Tim

I have heard the alpha sub, both my friends have it and the do not sound anything close to my IL120 sub. I also have the RABOS kit and he does help out my I prefered my setting better. I tried messing with the Bass optimizer on the new alpha but it seemed to have no affect.

I'm not saying the alphas are no good, I love Infinity's, always have and always will, its just the new one it seems like they put no effort in them. I thought it was the rooms they were in but the same result.

One friend has the HK AVR525 reciever and the other an Onkyo TXDS797. We had to put the bass volume all the way up to hear the sub or to even feel it.

Tim I would hear the sub before you decide to purchase it, unfortunely CC does not have it but I would really look around to hear it.

I hope that helps

Najib

www.roninonline.com

17. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I think the Infinity Interlude subs are one of the best uncovered secrets. They can be found very cheap now as well.

18. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

I think the Infinity Interlude subs are one of the best uncovered secrets. They can be found very cheap now as well.

Frank, they won't be for long if we keep telling everyone else about them!

19. STLMIKE

I just got mine today and unboxed it. There are some "Bass Optimization" controls on the back panel -- I assume that this is separate from the RABOS kit I just ordered...?

THX -- Mike

20. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

No, they are for the RABOS. There are three settings in the back which are used for the RABOS. If you don't have your kit yet there are instructions on trying to tune it by ear, but the kit is better.

Phil