infinity center channel opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Petty, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i am looking at the infinity center channels for my speaker system. there are 2 models available to me, the entra and the entra two. the differences are that the entra one is a bass-reflex cabinet, has a freq response of 95-20k, sensitivity 89db, and handles 125w. it uses dual 4" woofers.
    for $100 more, the entra two offers dual 5.25" woofers, a sealed cabinet, freq response of 80-20k (only 15hz lower than the entra one), sensitivity 90db (only 1db higher) and handles 150w.

for the price, im looking at going with just the entra one, but should i really consider spending the extra money for those differences?

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

What's a better match w/ your mains? If it were me, I would spring for the better center, as it is the workhorse of the home theater. Well, that along w/ the sub!

3. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I have never heard the entracentertwo, but the entracenter to me is the weakpoint of the entra line. It's a "tad" boxy sounding, but maybe it's me.

4. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

FWIW, I own Infinity's all around except for my sub (an SVS 25-31 PCi) and my center: a Boston Acoustics VR-910. I find the BA speakers match very well with the tonal quality of the Infinity speakers. While staying "in brand" can be an advantage, it's only a strong one if you are matching actual drivers to get an absolute match between speakers. If you are jumping between different drivers in a brand family, you might want to look at other brands that come close to matching the Infinity tone.

Rich

5. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

Lee Petty: i have the entra center 1, which is matched with Axiom M40s (don't ask) and I would definitely go with the entra center 2 for the larger woofers. not that the "1" is struggling, it just sounds wimpy next to the M40s.

6. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I agree with the rest about spending the extra bucks. A good center should go down to at least 80Hz. I believe the difference of 15Hz will be apparent. Good luck.

7. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Speaking of, get your local CC to check if they have any Infinity Interludes left. They are going for the same price as the Entras.