What's new

Newbie needs HT connection help! (1 Viewer)

ceejaynj

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
Newbie here…and I need some help! If I sound somewhat ignorant, it is because I am in the process of setting up my first “true” home theater. So go easy on me! Based on my budget, I have the following equipment:

- Sony STR-DE595 5.1 500W Surround Amp (digital & optical output)

- Magnavox DP170MW8B [COLOR= black]Upconvert [/COLOR]DVD Player (c[COLOR= black]oaxial [/COLOR]Dolby Digital output[COLOR= #333333])[/COLOR]

- Sanyo VCR (still have lots of VHS)

- Teac CD-P1260 CD Player

- Infinity 100W fronts (2)

- JVC 100W center (1)

- Aiwa small surrounds (2)

- No subwoofer

- Non-HDTV (at the moment)

- Non-HD STB (at the moment)

I will be getting an HDTV and subsequent HD-STB sometime next year, but I have to use what I currently have. Let me say that I used to have all my video equipment connected directly to my TV, then the TV was connected to my bookshelf stereo. I just turned on the bookshelf stereo (aux channel) and instant “surround.” Very primitive and not true surround, I know. Gone is the bookshelf stereo and I now have a dedicated Sony 5.1 amp. I have searched the web, but there are so many connection options and opinions, that it has become overwhelming. Even my product manuals are not helping.

Simply put, here is what I am looking to get from my home theater setup:

First off, I do not want to use surround sound on a 24x7 basis…just for the occasional movie on DVD, VHS, or cable TV. I watch my TV with the sound coming only from the TV 90% of the time. I just want the ability to watch my TV “normally” (no surround), with the option to turn on my amp and watch “true” surround from my equipment when the mood hits (i.e. like I did with my old bookshelf stereo mentioned above). I have not found any connection setup to accomplish this on the web. Even the guy at Radio Shack said it was very uncommon and questioned why I would want it this way. Needless to say, he was no help. Is this something that is possible??? I know I can connect to my new amp in the same way as my old bookshelf stereo, but I do not think I will get “true” surround. I think I need to connect my equipment directly to my amp for A/V decoding.

Very sorry for the long post…but any connection help or recommendations based on the above would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
For once, I'll second what the guy at Radio Shack said.

Belive it or not, setting things up the way you want it is significantly more complicated than setting things up to simply use the receiver all the time.

I'm always curious as to why folks want to use their TV speakers most of the time and save the receiver for "special circumstances".

• Receivers have volume controls, so clearly "it's too loud" isn't the reason.
  • When you route devices through both the TV and receiver (as you wish to do), switching sources becomes more complicated because now you have to keep track of input settings on both the TV and the Receiver, PLUS you'll have to control volume on the TV (turning it down or off when using the receiver, and back on or up when using the TV speakers), so the "it's too complicated" argument doesn't hold water, either.

So, despite further reasoning why you're better off connecting devices solely through the receiver, I'll offer some suggestions to your original question:

In order to have the option of hearing audio through the TV OR the Receiver, for each device in question you need to run audio connections to both the TV and receiver. For the DVD player this should be relatively easy - run a digital connection (optical or coaxial) from the DVD player to the Sony, and run analog stereo (red/white RCA jacks) from the DVD to an input on the TV.

The VCR will be trickier, because chances are it has only a single analog audio output. In this case, you should be able to run the audio from the VCR to the TV, then use your TV's stereo audio out to pass the audio out to the Sony. VHS doesn't support digital surround sound, so you won't lose out on any quality this way. Hopefully your TV will pass audio from external sources.. if not, then you're likely going to need some sort of splitter (probably manual) to split the single output into two - one for the TV and one for the Receiver.

Later, when you get the HD Set top box, you'll run a digital audio cable to an input on the Sony, and run stereo cables from the STB to the TV.

As for using the system... this is where it gets complicated. You'll have to set the TV input accordingly, and if you want to use the Sony Home Theater system, turn the volume all the way down on the TV and set the input on the Sony to the correct device. For using the TV's speakers, you'll leave the HT turned off, but use the volume on the TV. If you have to use a splitter for the VHS, you'll have to switch that, too - either via remote control (if you get a fancy one) or more likely by getting up and walking to the splitter and switching it by hand.

Alternatively, if you have everything routed through the receiver, you simply select the source you want from the receiver remote and voila - you're done, but I digress...

Hope this works out for you.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Oh, I realized my previous post addressed audio connections only...

On the video side of things you can run video connections either to the TV or the Receiver - you won't need to do both in this case.

It makes a lot more sense to me if you run things to the Receiver, then a single output from receiver to TV - this way you don't have to change inputs on the TV for different devices, only the receiver.

However, since you're really insistent on watching/listening without the Sony being on, you're probably better off running the video for your devices directly to the TV. There would be a good chance that if you ran things through the Sony, but wanted to listen through the TV that the video won't pass through the receiver while it's turned off.

So really, what you're doing is hooking everything up to the TV as you would, and running secondary audio connections only for each of your digital devices to the receiver.

Hopefully your TV will have enough inputs to support all these devices. That's another argument for using receivers as they were intended - they generally have many more inputs and connectivity options than TVs. You can also customize the audio/video connections for your specific needs.

Anyway, give that a try and see if it accomplishes what you want.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I will second what Jason says. You didn't mention the vintage of your current TV, but one thing for sure is when you get your new HDTV home you are not going to be happy with the sound quality that the on board speakers are going to produce. With all the improvements that have occurred in LCD's and Plasma's sound quality has suffered. This is due to the small space and location which only allow very small speakers to be installed.

I would suggest that you put your project on hold until you get your new TV home and then decide if you want to go through the rather complicated drill that Jason has spelled out for you to achieve your goal of not using your receiver 24/7. From my own experience I have four TV's in my home and everyone of them has either a 5.1 or 2.1 external speakers systems attached because I can't stand the poor quality of sound found on today's TV's.

ceejaynj

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
Thanks very much for all the input...it is very much appreciated. My current TV is an Apex 27" flat screen...circa 2003. It has the normal A/V outs for that period, plus S-Video. I was actually going to wait for it to die before starting this project, but it showing no signs of that. After hearing your arguments and long term outcomes, maybe I would be much better off setting it up as you recommend.

Can you offer me the connection info for connecting my current equipment as you recommend??? Once again, I need someone to "paint me a picture." Please note that I will be using my current (non-HD) TV at the moment. If it helps, here is the link to the manual for my amp: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/STRDE595spec.pdf

Once again, your help is very much appreciated!

ceejaynj

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
Thanks so much for your input and suggestions. My current TV is an Apex 27" flat screen, circa 2003. I was actually waiting for it to die before starting this project, but it is showing no signs of that. After hearing your arguments, maybe I would be much better off setting up my HT in the traditional way, as you suggest.

Can you tell me the proper connections, using my current equipment, that must be made, based on your suggestions??? Once again, I need someone to "paint me a picture." If it helps, here is the link to the manual for my Sony receiver: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/STRDE595spec.pdf

I am just overwhelmed by all the connection options, different cables, etc. Thanks again...your help is very much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks