What's new

Infinity alpha series? (1 Viewer)

Ryan.S.

Grip
I'm really leaning towards getting the infinity alpha 20's for fronts, the Alpha 37C for a center channel. And either the alpha 20's or the alpha 10's for surrounds. I'm lookin at the PS-10 sub.

I'm goin to audition these speakers today again. I'm just wondering what you guys think about them and if there are any others I should audition also.

Would it be better to get the alpha 20's all the way around. Or would the alpha 10's do a good job for the surround. The differences are the 20's jump up to a 6.5" woofer as opposed to the 5.25" in the 10's. The sensitivity of the 20's is 89db as opposed to 88db in the 10's. The low frequency response is 55 on the 20's and 60 on the 10's. And the 20's handle up to 100 watts where the 10's handle up to 80 watts.

I'm hooking this up to the onkyo 501 and putting it in a room about 12x15. I'll be using it for about 25% music, 25%gaming, and 50% movies.

Thanks a lot.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The Alphas are very good speakers, but note that the 'Beta' series will replace the Alpha series early in the new year (they'll be announced at CES in early Jan). Here in Canada, the Alpha's are being blown out at some really amazing prices.

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
You should listen to Polk's RTi line as well.

I auditioned both the Polk RTi and Infinity Alpha side-by-side and there really was no comparison. The Polks were silky smooth and open, the Infinitys sounded as cheap as they looked...

I have had the Alpha 50 speakers for about a year, and they are great. They always have plenty of power and never distort. While Polk speakers may look better aesthetically, I strongly feel that Infinity has better sound.

I will add a question of my own: I am going to buy a center channel speaker and am debating between the Alpha 37C, which is a 3-way center, and the Alpha, which is a 2-way center that lacks the midrange.

There is $100 difference between the two, plus I only have a 27-inch television, so the 3-way center would dwarf my television.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback anyone can offer.

Thanks a lot,

Mark

Tyler M.

Agent
"There is $100 difference between the two, plus I only have a 27-inch television, so the 3-way center would dwarf my television. "

I think you answered your own question right there.

Quote:
I think you answered your own question right there.

I know that a three-way center channel is probably overkill for a 27-inch television, but I would prefer to keep this speaker for a long time, and I will most likely get a bigscreen television in the next year or two.

I am currently an employee of Circuit City, so I can get the speakers at discount: I can get the 2-way for $93 or the three-way for $144, so actually I guess the true difference in cost for me is $50.

I have read that dialogue can be distorted by a dual-woofer-cancellation effect, and the midrange driver can prevent that. I don't know how true that is?

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
I used the 37c before I upped to the Intermezzo line. It is a good center (esp. for $144!) and I still use it in my bedroom HT. Since as much as 70% of the sound comes thru the center, I would get the best you can. At $50 more, it's a no brainer...

Tyler M.

Agent
If you're going to get a bigscreen in a year or two, then I would go with the 37c, you'll just have to live with it for now:)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I've got the nearly identical Interlude 36c at home and it's just awesome. Definitely worth the difference in price. I remember reading a magazine review for the Interludes that said the 36c was one of the best center channel speakers that reviewer had ever heard.

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
I was comparing the Alpha 50 to Polk RTi 150 so maybe it's not fair to compare $800 Alphas to $1400 Polks... But they had the Polks on closeout for $500 so it was a no-brainer :D

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
do not go with the smaller alpha center, the bigger one is far superior in sound quality. plus, it blends MUCH better with the 50's.

oh, and give the original poster back his thread :)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Ryan.S.: The only reason I would use the Alpha 20's for surrounds is if you plan on adopting a surround music format like sacd or dvd-audio. The rear channels on these formats can place low bass there (& IIRC 5.1 DTS-CDs also share this capability) & 5.25" woofers just can't reproduce any kind of low bass in that size room. And don't rely on bass management to help too much, because IMO hi-res b.m. still isn't done well except on a (very few) $1,000+ machines.

That big center? Go for it! Great for music surround (I'm going to get one when I'm able--cherry finish :emoji_thumbsup: ) and great for movies too. Movies have so much action emanating from that channel but most smaller speakers just can't reproduce it nearly as well. And that vertical tweeter/mid array makes a big difference because it provides a really wide dispersion of sound without irritating "lobing" (sonic drop-out) effects. This last characteristic is very important for music too because Dolby PLII, DTS:Neo and the Logic7 5.1 DSP processors all use the center channel. And from personal experience: hi-res (again) can put looooow bass there too. My Linkin Park Reanimation dvd-audio has bass that caused the single 6.5" woofer in an Infinity SL10 bookshelf speaker I borrowed to totally "blur" during just a "pretty loud" listening session I conducted (using my $350 Technics SA-DA8 receiver) and actually caused it to bottom out on several tracks. And the Alpha 37C is such a big model it isn't going to need upgrading very soon either. :D

BTW: I just heard that PS10 sub at a CompUSA(!!) store last night with an Onkyo receiver, Pioneer DV-563 and Thievery Corporation's Sounds From The Thievery Hi-Fi. It sounded very good, better than the larger JBL 12" sub right next to it. The JBL was louder, but it was boomy IMO too--not my thing for music playback--while the PS10 "hit" harder with a really tight quality (nice).

LJ

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I see where JohnnyG talked about the Betas replacing the Alphas, with resulting blowout prices on the Alphas. Just what kinds of prices are people finding on the Alpha 50 speakers? I ask because my local CC has a pair of open-box Alpha 50s for $300 each ($600 for the pair), and I'm wondering whether that's the best I'll see on these any time soon. Thanks for any input!

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
That's probably a decent price. I had the Alpha 50's at the equivalent of $630 US ($799 CDN) for new units. They are either sold out or very close at this point...at least in Canada.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
I would opt for the larger center, especially if you plan on getting a larger TV. As was mentioned before the smaller surrounds will work just fine for HT, but if you want to get into SACD or DVD-A I would go for the larger ones too. As for mains I am a tower fan, so I always say towers... lol :D

Do check out the Polks, you may also like the lower end Paradigms as well.

Rick O

Auditioning
I'm currently auditioning the Infinity Alpha 50s and I prefer the mids and base over the more expensive Polk Towers. Polk's highs were perhaps a touch smoother.
Rock and Blues had more clean punch on the 50s. Also evalutating Paradigm 40 and 60s and Ohm Micro Towers. Looking for Merlins and NHT in the St. Louis area. Any help?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks