What's new

Inexpensive banana plugs (1 Viewer)

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
Just an FYI since many people seem to be asking about cost-effective ways to add banana plugs to their speaker wires.

I had used Radio Shack gold screw on banana plugs, but they were $6/pair.

I found that NXG seemed to be the price leader in banana plugs and ordered some from WatchCom.net. I think I paid a little over $3/pair delivered and the quality is on par with the Radio Shack gold plugs I have. If you do a search, at least one other person has verified the quality of NXG plugs.

In any case, I found WatchCom's service to be extremely responsive.

Just wanted to point out that there are other (more) cost-effective solutions to Radio Shack's banana plugs.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I also use the NXG plugs and am very satisfied. They're essentially the same as other dual banana plugs from radio shack, parts express, and monster. I just wish they made some compression style plugs as well, instead of just the screw down type.

I also use all NXG interconnects in my system. They are built just as well as the base monster and AR offerings, and can be found online dirt cheap. I have 11 cables in my setup, and i got them all for under $50 shipped.

NXG also has a new SAPPHIRE line, which are essentially the same as their standard cables, but with more sheilding and metal barrel connectors as opposed to the molded plastic kind. I'm considering upgrading atleast my video connections to the Sapphire. They cost about twice as much, but that's still only about $13 for the 1 meter Sapphire component video cable.

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure that Dayton plugs are good. They're just more expensive. Depending on the type, they cost between $3.50 - $4.50 a pair. The link to the NXG plugs shows a cost of $2.45 a pair.

Recoton, Phoenix Gold, Dayton, NXG, and a few others all make similar banana plugs. NXG [at the link I posted above] is simply the least expensive solution I've found.

I'm not implying that the other brands are inferior. Just that they are more expensive.

Anyway, it was just a heads up that there are options that are 2x cheaper than the RadioShack golds, which seem to be the bench mark for cost-effective banana plug solutions.

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I just picked up some of those plugs from Watchcom.net . Talk about fast shipping. I order some Monday morning and received them Wednesday afternoon. :emoji_thumbsup:

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Donnie, how many pair did you order? I am assuming a "pair" is 1-red, and 1-black...not a pair of red and a pair of black correct? I run a 5.1 system(paradigm studio 40, 20, and CC...I'd assume they will work with these, and would need to order 10 "pair" to make every connection to speaker, and on the other end(reciever) correct? thanks! tl

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks