What's new

In-wall speakers vs. satellites (1 Viewer)

videophile

Auditioning
Real Name
John Sinnott
Well, after arguing, reasoning, and finally begging, my wife has agreed to let me put in a 5.1 system in our bedroom. The only problem is that the speakers (with the possible exception of the sub) have to be either small satellites or in-wall units. So I need some advice on the merits of the two different styles. The biggest question I have is: which type of speaker will give me the most bang for the buck? Are you paying a lot extra to be able to hide a speaker in a wall or do they offer about the same quality/price ratio that other speakers have?

I've got about $1500-$2000 to spend for the six speakers and would naturally like the best sounding system I can get, given the limitations. I was thinking about looking at NHT, B&W, and Paradigm. Are there any other brands or speakers that I should be looking at?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
For satellite speakers I would audition:

- Monitor Audio Radius Series (R90 x 4, R180 Centre, R360 sub)
- B&W Mini Theatre (M-1 x 5, AS-1 subwoofer)

I haven't auditionned any in-walls, so I can't compare... :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have Proficient Audio in-walls in my house and they're very nice, I recommend the brand. The only trouble with in-walls, particularly for the rears, is running the cables. If you can get the cables in the walls cleanly, there's nothing that looks as slick as in-wall. And they'll sound at least as good as tiny sattelites, I would guess better.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I would say the sound quality on in-walls can be better, but most likely you will pay A LOT more for the priveledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks