What's new
World Wide Stereo

In wall and in ceiling speakers info needed (1 Viewer)

markMGB

Auditioning
I was just browsing through some sites and saw that alot of people are running in-wall or in-ceiling speakers. Technically, since the speakers can use the whole inside of the wall to resonate, wouldnt they sound better? There are alot of different options for speakers but all the speakers ive heard sound like my high-school p-a system (sounds like the speakers are in a tin can). Is this a good option for completing a 7.1 setup? I am running Klipsch front, center and surround back speakers and I need to add to 2 more, but I can't just hang them from the ceiling since people will hit their heads... Also, depenging on the feedback i get from this post, I would like to also install some speakers in my kitchen's ceiling. I like the idea that they will be almost completely hidden but I don't necessarily want to sacrifice sound quality (in the kitchen it's not a huge issue, but I dont want to comprimise my HT). Thanks in advance for the info!

Mark

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No. The cavity of my wall my not be the same as yours. Speaker crossovers have to take into account the width of the speaker (called baffle step diffraction) or certain frequencies will be boosted naturally. Finally, you have "built" a cabinet using 5/8" drywall as enclosure material. It will resonate. Speakers should be built with proper materials (3/4" MDF) and proper bracing - example.

With that being said, I use in-ceiling speakers for my surrounds in the living room. I knew going in that I wasn't going to get perfect sound from them but they do a good job with surround material. We all have to make compromises.

-Robert

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
I also use in-ceilings for surround and for zone 2 and they seem to work just fine. I was a little concerned when I retired the "real" speakers from surround sound duty (required by WAF) but to tell you the truth; they do a very nice job.

kryten_tl

Agent
Real Name
Tom Ledoux
I agree with Greg. I use in-walls for my rear surrounds and Zone 2, and they do the job nicely. I was actually quite surprised at the full range of sound these speakers were able to achieve, without taking up any real floor space.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I'm also very pleased with my in ceiling speakers used for surround duty. I'm using the Paradigm SA-15R's. At around $600.00 a pair I think they are a great value.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettKarina
Recent bookmarks