What's new

In Bay Area for almost a month - what to do? (1 Viewer)

I start a new job next week with Loudcloud here in London, but the first 3-4 weeks are spent training at their offices in CA.

I used to work for Oracle and so have done all the usual touristy sightseeing trips, so I wondered if people could recommend anything for me to check out on my weekends. I'm out there on my own so don't want to spend all my time sat around the hotel!

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Go see "True Fiction Magazine" at Fort Mason. They are an improv group (ala Whose Line Is It Anyway), but much much better! They perform at the Bay Area Theatresports theatre!

I spent a week in the bay, and that was the highlight!

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
When you say you have done all the tourist stuff before, what exactly have you done?

If you haven't gone to Muir Woods (spelling?) you really should go at least once.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Buy a 3-Series BMW, attend 100 launch parties, buy an Aeron chair, rent an apartment for $100/sqft. ... oh wait, that was last year. :rolleyes

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Definately Muir Woods.

And, if you have a long weekend, try driving to Yosemite. Its about 4-5 hours east, but worth the drive!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Muir Woods is nice but almost a 'tree museum'. Spend some time instead in the large expanse of the Santa Cruz mountains. Cruise down highway 9. Sorry you are here during our rainy season. Much of the Sierra area roads are closed for the (winter) season, such as Tioga Pass.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Travel to Santa Cruz, just over Highway 17 from the silicon valley... avoid Capitola because it's just a tourist trap. Visit West Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz.. there's a neat surfer statue there and a lighthouse. Follow Highway 1 up from Santa Cruz to Davenport. Eat at the Davenport cash store (blink and you'll miss it).. drive to Half Moon Bay.

Highway 1 is one of the best drives in Northern California and is not to be missed.

Go to Ocean Beach in SF... the windmills are really beautiful (in an antique sort of way). Visit the Hiroshima Peace Monument in Japantown in SF. The Museum of Modern Art in SF.

The Rosecrutian Museum in San Jose is a nice visit. For a while the Rosecrutians themselves actually had entry forms available there, but the membership is currently closed to the public.

The baylands in the south bay are really nice if you're in a placid mood. Lots of wooden walkways stretching out over stagnant and shallow water. Good for birdwatching if you're into that sort of thing.

Hakone Gardens in Saratoga... on Highway 9, just past downtown Saratoga, a quick left turn exit. A must-see.

I've got a million more suggestions if you need 'em.

Cheers,

Joseph

John Beavers

Second Unit
You might consider getting together with HTF members in the area for a little in-home HT demonstration and perhaps check out some of the local HT store haunts. I used to put together local HTF Meets all the time in our area, and there are some awesome setups at many of the members homes. Email me with some weekend dates and I'll see if I can put a small meet together around your visit.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I think an IMAX showing at the Metreon is a must as well. Hiking around the bay and in the foothills of Stanford/Palo Alto are also fun.

James RD

Supporting Actor
A visit (or tour) aboard the U.S.S. Hornet docked at Alameda is a great way to spend an afternoon.

Wow guys, that's a lot of great suggestions! I'll be in Sunnyvale from 15 Jan to 8 Feb so I'm hoping to have enough time to get through a few things on your list, and if anyone wants to hook up for a beer / demo of their kit I'd be appreciative.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
No tour of Dolby Labs? Monster Cable? or Skywalker Ranch?

Seriously, the SF MOMA (Museum of Modern Arts) is a must.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Along with the Palace of the Legion of Honor and the Palace of Fine Arts.

I grew up in Sunnyvale originally, and there were always many software/gaming companies, if you're into that sort of thing. I remember when I was working for Vicor (in Sunnyvale), the Capcom building was right across the street. Honest to God, there was a giant Mega Man in the front window!

It's funny -- up near Skywalker Ranch, there is a "Lucas Valley" which as far as I know is unrelated to George... but I always think about it nonetheless when I'm up there.

Go on a wine tour in Sonoma County. I wouldn't dare try to usurp taste and recommend some good wineries (*coughravenswoodcough*) but it's Eden in every sense. The most beautiful country on the West Coast lies in that Valley.

After having lived on both coasts I can say that neither one has my heart exclusively, but there is a LOT to choose from out here!

Cheers,

Joseph

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Some of the best "spiritual consumables" can be scor### purchased in the Haight. ... :)
Seriously, just hang out in the city, walk the streets, get a feel for its unique beauty. There is no more appealing a city in the entire USA. And it's still the epicenter of the Counterculture.
I love San Francisco. If there were decent magazine-writing gigs to be had up there, I'd relocate in a heartbeat.

Bob_Mandel

Stunt Coordinator
Go to Carmel. It's quaint and there are some very good restaurants... not to mention the beach and golf course.

Santa Cruz IS beautiful, as are Napa/Sonoma valleys. You can go to Copolla's winery (and Godfather museum), but their wine is generally horrible. Cosentino has good wine, Mondavi's tour is fair.

Go to the hole in the wall restaurants in Chinatown... they are awesome and cheap. I think the one we loved best was called something like Sam Chin's or the like.

If you can make the trip, go down to San Simeon.

Spend some time in Berkeley... one of my favorite places.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
Regarding the restaurant in Chinatown, do you mean Sam Woo's?? This restaurant was mentioned by David Letterman on his show as his favorite. Cheap and good. :emoji_thumbsup:
As far as I know, they are no tours available for Skywalker Ranch. There was just my attempt at humor. As for Lucas Valley Rd., I think that's the actual exit to take if going to Skywalker Ranch.
BTW, years ago, I spotted a Mercedes station wagon in downtown San Francisco sporting the license plate "THX1138". I always wondered....

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Muir Woods is nice but almost a 'tree museum'. Spend some time instead in the large expanse of the Santa Cruz mountains.
Couldn't disagree with you more on that one.

Skip the Santa Cruz mountains go to Muir Woods and then explore other points of interst in the north bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks