What's new

In Bay Area for almost a month - what to do? (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Haven't read everybody's replies, but I suggest you go north to the Fort Bragg area and south to the Carmel/Big Sur area. You'll end up seeing some of the most beautiful scenic coastland in the world. To the east and southeast, you can visit gold country, Tahoe, and the Sierras. I definitely wouldn't miss Yosemite, even if it is too traveled these days. It is just beautiful this time of year. Oh, and you might enjoy Napa. Aw heck, there's just too much to see in that short a time.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Patrick_S,
Muir Woods National Monument is only 553.55 acres, and in 1999 had 883,164 visitors. The trails are bounded by fences so you can't get close to the trees (redwoods don't like having their roots trampled). Whenever I've been there you can't escape the crush of noisy tourists ("duh, look Ethel, there's a tree!"). That sounds like a "tree museum" to me. The only reason that it's famous is that it's the closest stand of redwoods to downtown San Francisco. www.visitmuirwoods.com/location.htm
The Santa Cruz mountains encompass over 153,000 acres of redwood forest. There are more than 1,000 miles of hiking trails available. You can find solitude and quiet there with little effort. Carl may pick up a copy of Tom Taber's book "The Santa Cruz Mountains Trail Book" from any local bookstore when he gets here. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...557340-6528132

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Dennis,

It is just comes down to a matter of taste. It's too bad you have had such bad experiences at Muir Woods. I have been there several times and have always had a wonderful time.

Besides, the trees at Muir are far more spectacular then SC, and once you are done tree viewing there are better quality activities closer by.

This is fantastic guys. I'm printing this thread and taking it with me next week. I've already been to Carmel and thought it was stunning, wandering down to the beach at sunset was amazing. I also spent a couple of days wandering the streets of San Fransisco and really enjoyed that; I think I managed to get a better feel for the place than riding in cabs / cable cars.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The Official Bay Area Appreciation Thread!
Skip the Santa Cruz mountains go to Muir Woods and then explore other points of interst in the north bay.
I have to agree with Dennis on this one, Carl. You're getting a more naturalistic environment and much more to choose from in the Santa Cruz mountains. Plus, you're much closer to the South Bay. Don't get me wrong, I love Muir woods (Vertigo comes to mind) but it is mostly 'on rails.' In the Santa Cruz area the trails are less defined, if you're into that sort of thing.
Plus, it will allow you to take the trek up Highway 1 that I strongly recommended in my first post.
Remember, if you are visiting the South Bay and you have limited time and resources, taking a loop like this will streamline your trip and not take you too far. I've found that if I plan a conservative radius for exploration I always end up doing more than I expected:
101 south in Sunnyvale to Monterey ---> to Carmel ----> back up Highway 1 through Santa Cruz... maybe a side trip into the Mountains ---> up highway 1 until you reach Pacifica and San Francisco... back down 280 until you reach Sunnvale again.
I wish I had more time to visit a lot of these places more often... :frowning:
Joseph

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>As far as Indian Food goes, there is a chain (originated in Berkeley I believe) of Indian restaurants called Pasand which pretty much blows away the competition.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
Microsoft's free e-book this week is the Rough Guide for SF
This is the third guide (also Paris and New York) I have downloaded for free from microsoft, But download soon, I don't know how long it will there, most books are up for only one week as a free download.
http://www.microsoft.com/reader/shop_free.asp
kd

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
San Francisco possesses killer atmospherics. And here's how much I like simply walking the streets of San Francisco: I can even enjoy strolling through the Tenderloin District. I'm not kidding. Man, I love that town (and Berkeley too).

Dennis: May I ask--how did Fluffy Pumpkin earn his/her name? Got an image?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks