What's new

Improving stereo sound for Yamaha 2092 (1 Viewer)

Mike Estoup

Auditioning
I am currently running a Yamaha 2092 receiver to drive my home theater system. I am completely satisfied with the 2092 for home theater, don't miss the absence of DTS, and my room can't accommodate 6 or 7 channel speaker formats. I would like to improve the 2-channel stereo performance of my system and would like to ask the group for opinions on the best way to do this. I really had to grovel at home to build the system that I have, so I really need to try to minimize upgrade costs (would need to limit to around $1500). My speaker set-up includes:

Mains - Paradigm Reference Studio 60
Center - Paradigm Ref Studio CC
Rears - Paradigm Ref SA-25 inwalls
Sub - Paradigm PS-1000

Options that I have considered include:

1) trying to pick-up a used Krell KAV-300i integrated amp and using it for my 2-channel system, while using it to drive the mains for HT using the theater through-put. I am not sure how its amplification would mate with the 2092 or the Studio 60's however. Does anyone else make an integrated amp with a theater through-put like the Krell ? This seems to be the most attractive, cost effective option. Has anyone else done this ?

2) pickup a quality 2-channel amp for the mains, and using the Yamaha as a prepro & to drive the Center & surrounds. Would this improve 2-channel performance significantly.

3) integrate a 5-channel amp and use the 2092 as a prepro (again, would this significantly improve 2-channel performance).

4) Sell the 2092 (if I can) & start over (least desirable option). If I did this, I would prefer a mid-priced AV receiver that excels with 2-channel music, add an outboard 5 channel amp when I can, then ultimately pick-up a dedicated AV processor and move the receiver to the bedroom for music.

I would be interested in any and all thoughts on how to best improve my system performance.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
What about the Yamaha do you not like for 2 channel music? Is it bright? too bright? No soundstage?

Have you messed with speaker placement? This is a cheap way to maximize your 2 channel performance.

You could try buying an external amp and that might be the trick.

An External Dac would be a nice improvement too however I'd lean towards a new amp or replacing the yamaha first if speaker placement is optimized.

To me, Yamaha's are very bright sounding and replacing the the amp and using the Yamaha as a pre isn't your best solution. Then again You may prefer Yamaha's signature sound and thus an external amp is the way to go.

Mike Estoup

Auditioning
I can't really put my finger on what is missing. Sound is on the "bright" side but not overly so. I would like a more "fuller" sound and an enhanced soundstage.

Thoughts ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks