What's new

I'm Weak, I Broke Down, Marantz AV7703 On the Way (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It is here!

IMG_2038a.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The current state of the "Living Room" system. Complete with cable clutter and the new ELACs. I'll put in longer speaker cables, since the stands have channels to feed them through. If I was to do it again, I'd probably go 4" taller on the speaker stands. Also, I hate that equipment rack. I'm planning to get a Pangea one some day. I'll need it anyway for enough space to upgrade the Polk center with an ELAC, to match the new speakers. I'm a big proponent of moving speakers away from the wall behind them for the best imaging, so there's almost two feet behind them.

I've been a bachelor for a long time now, I was married at one time, and my living space isn't exactly intended to impress anymore.

BTW, this is a really basic, inexpensive but nice sounding system. A Marantz SR5004 receiver, some cheap Panasonic BR player, an old Oppo DVD player I haven't bothered to remove, AppleTV 4K, the ELAC Debut B6.2s, a Polk Monitor CS1, BIC F12 sub and Polk Monitor 30s on the sides, out of view, and a bottom-of-the-line Samsung 40" LED TV.

_FER5832_1.2k.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I hear good things about the ELAC's! Hey John what brand speaker stands do you have? I will eventually need some for the B&W 685 bookshelf speakers I want to get. Are they stable or would it be easy for them to fall over?

Looks like a nice system you got there John!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I hear good things about the ELAC's! Hey John what brand speaker stands do you have? I will eventually need some for the B&W 685 bookshelf speakers I want to get. Are they stable or would it be easy for them to fall over?

Looks like a nice system you got there John!
The good stuff is downstairs, but this one might actually get more use, for when I’m watching stuff that I’m not necessarily committing all my attention to.

I looked around at a lot of stands, trying to find decent ones that didn’t cost a fortune, and these are Pangea LS300s. They’re surprisingly solid. They come with good spike feet, so you’d need to look for different feet if you’re on hardood floors. This room used to be a covered patio behind the house, so it’s concrete under the carpet. Perfect for spikes.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I recommend taking a look at the Pangea stands. They come in a wide variety of heights, too.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, there probably won’t be any Atmos developments in my main system for at least several months. I have too many other things to deal with at the moment.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey John have you used the multi channel analog inputs and how did you get them to work? Having trouble with my Denon DVD-2200 hooked up to the analog rca inputs for SACD, DVD-A and standard CD's as well.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the Evil A had ELAC Debut 6.2s on sale for 50% off last week. I had decided to replace my current, cobbled together surround speakers with them, and eventually add their 6" in-ceiling speakers (some day) for Atmos, but had kind of decided to put it all on the back burner for a while. Who can resist 2 for 1 though? So, they're here, four new speakers, with the first pair being broken in the living room system. I'm still amazed by the imaging those guys produce for the price. Really should make them awesome surround speakers.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Happy holidays John. I do expect to hear some new information once you are all hooked up and had some time to play with the new additions. Enjoy the new sound!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have some logistical things I need to work out. The old surround speakers are all wall mount ones, and now I need to decide how I want to install shelves for the new ones. Complicating things is one of them is on a support post, that holds up the half of the house the HT is in. There's no wall on that side of the room. However, since I will be lowering them preparing for the change to Atmos, there is an upright piano right at that spot, and the top of it is just about the right height to just set the speaker on, at least for the time being. The problem is, I wonder if it'll resonate through the piano.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks