What's new

I'm Weak, I Broke Down, Marantz AV7703 On the Way (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've been resisting this for weeks now. A new Pre/Pro was just going to cost more than I wanted to dive in for, then Marantz replaced the AV7703 with the AV7704, which seems like it's 97% rebadge/minor update. I've been watching the price of 7703s dropping... and dropping. Now, my Sherbourne pre/pro, which has excellent audio, but has always been a little twitchy, has been getting more twitchy. Multiple times this week, it's circuits have gotten confused and I've had to turn it off and on again to get things to function properly. Immediately after looking at the price of the 7703 again, I sat down to watch a movie, switched the input from TV to the Oppo, and it switched inputs, but the display still says it's on the TV input with DD instead of the BR player and DTS-HD. Clearly, this was a sign from above.

That's when my resistance ended...

So, sometime between Thursday and Monday I'll be trying to figure out how to reprogram my old Logitach Harmony One to operate the Marantz instead of the Sherbourne.

Switching out a Pre/Pro is a simple process, after all... right?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Switching out a Pre/Pro is a simple process, after all... right?

It can be time consuming to get everything configured just right. When I upgraded my receiver last year, I spent several days tweaking my configuration after spending several hours initially getting everything connected, configured and calibrated. It's not rocket science, but just takes time.

Which reminds me, I need to run Audyssey again since we bought new furniture for our family room, which doubles as my home theater room.

Enjoy your new Marantz, John!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Of course, I was joking about it being simple to switch out a processor. I've done this so many times I can't count them. I plan to leave any auto calibration until after I get familiar with the new processor. I'll write down all my level and EQ settings from the Sherbourne and just carry them over to the Marantz to get a quick start.

I used to tear my entire system apart every couple years, just to refresh all the connections and have the opportunity to make changes. I haven't done that in longer than I can remember, even though a lot of the components have changed. One of my amps actually has the front feet off the front of the cabinet, because it's too big to fully fit inside it. The whole system has balanced interconnects, so I don't have to limit myself to having the amps close to the processor. I got an amp stand some time back with the plan of putting that amp on the floor, outside the rack, but I've never done it.

One entirely new feature is the Marantz can be operated using an app on the iPad. Who knows, I might end up using that a lot of the time, other than adjusting the volume during playback. It'll definitely have far more extensive control over it than any remote could ever have. I already ran wired ethernet to the Oppo, so I guess I might as well add a switch so the Marantz can be wired as well.

When I tear the whole system apart, do you think it's safe to stow away the cassette deck? What about the LD player? :wacko:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When I tear the whole system apart, do you think it's safe to stow away the cassette deck? What about the LD player?

I can assure you that the moment you put the cassette deck or LD player away will be the moment you find some long lost disc or cassette that you're dying to check out.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
One entirely new feature is the Marantz can be operated using an app on the iPad. Who knows, I might end up using that a lot of the time, other than adjusting the volume during playback. It'll definitely have far more extensive control over it than any remote could ever have. I already ran wired ethernet to the Oppo, so I guess I might as well add a switch so the Marantz can be wired as well.

I have the Marantz AV7702 MKII. I've watched as they're introduced newer models but have yet to feel a need to upgrade. I think you'll be happy with the 7703 and get many years of faithful service from it. I use the [Android version] control app. It's solid and all you should need for general functionality. I tend to use the physical remote when I need to re tune Audyssey, etc as I like to be outside of the room and my Tab S lives inside.

Congrats on a great purchase.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I also have the 7702mkII. Assuming the Dolby Vision upgrade comes this year as promised, I think it’s fully capable for 4K for the foreseeable future.

So the 7703 will hopefully support everything for a good while.

But as a 7702 owner, I’m jealous of the iOS features in the newest models :) I’ll be tempted to upgrade when I do the big UHD upgrade.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dave, you made me worry for a moment. I thought I remembered that I'd checked all the HDR formats with the AV7703, but then started doubting it. Yeah, already released for the 7703, and like you are saying, they say it will be released this year for the 7702 MKII. The lasting upgradability of the 7702 MKII has been impressive, and a good sign for the 7703 as well as Marantz in general.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Congratulations John!!
I just recently got a Marantz 2230 on Ebay and it is the very first receiver I got back in 1975 . A well respected brand with AWESOME sound. Sooooo quiet. I love watching your threads you have tried to help so many people it warms my heart. I hope your new gear brings you years of joy. It is always a pain in the ass to change all. But you are quite capable and it will be a trip to nirvana. ENJOY!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bob, I have three other pieces of Marantz equipment. Two receivers and an SACD player, and I like them all. Most of my other electronics are Emotiva, but I think they're too small a company to keep up with reliable processors. Several years ago I decided that when I upgraded in that area, I'd probably go with Marantz instead. I wasn't really planning on doing it quite yet, but the deals called out to me.

I haven't decided if I'll be impatient and just swap it into the system, or tear it all apart. I really should do the latter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dave, you made me worry for a moment. I thought I remembered that I'd checked all the HDR formats with the AV7703, but then started doubting it. Yeah, already released for the 7703, and like you are saying, they say it will be released this year for the 7702 MKII. The lasting upgradability of the 7702 MKII has been impressive, and a good sign for the 7703 as well as Marantz in general.
Sorry! Didn’t mean to confuse or cause consternation! :) So, yes, the 7703 should remain a viable and updated pre-pro for a good while...at least as long as anything can in the seemingly evershifting sands of the today’s Home Theater world.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have the Android app installed on my phone for my Denon receiver, but don't use it -- it's probably similar to the app for your Marantz, as Denon and Marantz are now the same company. Instead, I have every AVR function I need on a daily basis programmed on my Harmony 650 remote control -- I haven't touched the OEM remote since I finished the initial setup and Audyssey calibration.

As for those old laser disc player and cassette deck components, if you haven't used them in several years this would be a good opportunity to get them out of your equipment rack. With my receiver upgrade last year, I finally removed the final two analog-connected devices from my rack -- a Sony ES SACD 5-disc carousel player that had died and a Panasonic DVD recorder that I hadn't used in several years. All remaining devices -- Sony UHD player, Panasonic BD player, Oppo DVD player, Xfinity cable box, Roku Ultra 4K streamer, and Vizio 4K display -- are connected via HDMI only. The only exception is the toslink optical cable from the display to the AVR, as I had some issues getting ARC to function properly between the display and AVR and didn't feel like spending any more time troubleshooting the issue. I almost never use that audio connection anyway -- it's just a back up streaming option if/when I have issues with the Roku.

I cannot remember the last time I used a cassette deck. I still own a pretty nice Teac unit that I used many years ago for recording from LPs. The deck is sitting in the equipment rack in our basement recreation room but is not connected to the old Kenwood integrated amp that drives that music-only system. I threw all my all my cassettes in the trash years ago. Not sure why I'm hanging on to the Teac.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It’s the Audyssey features in the M+D iOS app that intrigue me.

I’ve heard that cassette tapes are having a retro resurgence, kinda like vinyl. But I don’t know why anyone would still have a deck, unless you’re just being ironic. If it’s commercial, you’ve bought a digital replacement. If it’s rare and irreplaceable you’ve digitized it. And if you like the hiss and pop of tape, you’re in therapy. :)

Laser Disc... I never owned one. Maybe there’s content only on LD still? Though if it’s just Star Wars you’re cluttering up your system for, you should toss the LD and get Harmy’s Star Wars bootleg (and also buy the Blu-ray to be karmically balanced.)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I didn't purchase the add-on Audyssey app (it's $20), as I wasn't going to try editing the Audyssey results anyway. The basic remote control app was a little clunky when I tried it, but that may have been partially because of my old phone, which was having some performance issues. I installed the app on my new phone, but haven't tried it out yet to see if it performs better,

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It’s the Audyssey features in the M+D iOS app that intrigue me.
This app had a lot of terrible reviews the last time I checked so I don't think you're missing anything.

Last edited:

Bobd207s

Grip
Real Name
bob drugan
I was in the same boat as you. My very reliable Sherwood Newcastle P965 Preamp started to have real problems with the latest Comcast Digital Cable boxes. I picked up a 7703 about 6 weeks ago and love it !! I ended up getting rid of lots of gear that I wasn't using too. I think you will find the 7703 easy to setup. Good luck !!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The AV7703 arrived today. It's a lot prettier than the Sherbourn, but they were geared toward installers rather than regular retail customers.

I took a shot at an "open box" unit from a reputable dealer, but the price was so low, it made me a little nervous. I think I see what happened. There's an Amazon FBA sticker on the box that says it's a Marantz SR7011 Receiver. I suspect someone ordered an SR7011, received this, and sent it back. They have more of them. It's complete and it looks untouched. We'll see if there's any problem registering it. Now I need to tear the rack apart. It's gonna take some work.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The AV7703 arrived today. It's a lot prettier than the Sherbourn, but they were geared toward installers rather than regular retail customers.

I took a shot at an "open box" unit from a reputable dealer, but the price was so low, it made me a little nervous. I think I see what happened. There's an Amazon FBA sticker on the box that says it's a Marantz SR7011 Receiver. I suspect someone ordered an SR7011, received this, and sent it back. They have more of them. It's complete and it looks untouched. We'll see if there's any problem registering it. Now I need to tear the rack apart. It's gonna take some work.

I hope it all works out. Integrating a new Pre/Pro is a daunting task. Godspeed, John.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
An AV7703 mispackaged in an SR7011 box? Weird.
No, the packaging is definitely all 7703. It appears to have been sold through Amazon FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon). When something is sold through FBA, somebody, usually the seller, prints a special FBA label and puts it over the original UPC. Then Amazon uses that label to identify the product. They put a SR7011 FBA label on the AV7703 box. Since Amazon completely ignores the original packaging and goes entirely by the FBA label, it was sent out as a SR7011. I win, because it saved me $450. Seriously, it was $450 less than an unopened box.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I hope it all works out. Integrating a new Pre/Pro is a daunting task. Godspeed, John.
Gonna write down all my current EQ and level settings, then tear the whole system apart. It'll take a while, but it's been far too long since I did that, and the system is a cluttered mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks