What's new

I'm watching movies at home from now on. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Better picture quality? Check.
Better sound? Check.
Better company? Check.
Better refreshments? Check.
Better seating? Check.
Screaming Fanboys?(who are quiet when the movie starts)
Lightsaber duels in the aisles beforehand?
Costumers abound?
All missing ;)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Commercial theaters? They're nothing more than overpriced establishments where one can watch inferior sneak previews of upcoming DVDs in the company of mostly rude strangers.
Perfectly said Ryan, perfectly said. Bigger screens do not a movie make.
Peace Out~:D

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I built The ScootPlex2000 simply to avoid theaters altogether yet have that kind of experience.

Anyone here ever wish they could run a theater...I know I have!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

If Bubbles wasn't so cute down there I'd be tempted to use this quote as my signature:b

95% of the time I see a movie for the first time on DVD. If that makes me not a film buff then so be it, I'd rather be called a DVD buff anyway.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Some times going to the theater is better. Some times watching at home is better. Does anyone argue with this?
I know that watching Lord of the Rings for the first in the theater was definitely BETTER!! The statues of the kings and the Balrog looked enormous!!!That was an experience!! Sometimes Ron the size does help make the movie, S W ep1 when the sea creature ate the other one, man it looked huge at the theater, it really helped the impact.
But I feel watching Spider man at home would've been better, it looked washed out at the theater.
But my worst experience in theaters was watching Rush Hour2, it was terrible, because this couple behind me wanted to be "friendly" with each other. Wrestling, hitting, laughing (not at the movie). That made me hate the movie, people think I'm crazy when I say I don't like Rush Hour 2. I barely laughed , but everyone else there erupted with laughter, while me and my girl are sitting there pissed!

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I haven't been to a theater in probably 6 years for all the reasons stated above and one other important one to me. Theaters make me fall asleep. Damn, I sleep really good in theaters. So, I stay home and watch movies. I can hit Pause whenever I feel like taking a nap.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What can I say, I love seeing films on the big screen. When you buy a ticket to a movie theater, you are paying for the sheer spectacle and size of the theatrical showing of a film. Sure, there are some socially inept people that also frequent theaters that can sour a theatrical showing, but for the vast majority of my film-going experiences, I've had good audiences in attendence.

DVDs allow for convenience, but if you place film watching on a higher priority than overall convenience, you simply can't get the same viewing experience at home as you can in a good theater on some films where it really matters in the scope and feel of the film. After seeing "2001: A Space Odyssey" in 70mm last month, and getting to see all the details that went into that film, it's tough to watch it on the small screen (for me, a dinky 46" 4:3 RPTV) and come away with the same amount of appreciation for the same film. There's probably less than 100 films where I feel that they are simply a must to have seen them on the big screen, but I feel you're cheating yourself when you do pass on seeing a great film on the big screen.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
All I can say is we must have things pretty good here in the Greater Toronto area in Ontario, Canada.
Most of our theaters are filled with fairly well behaved audiences. I am 44 years old and can only recall 2 or 3 instances of annoying audiences.
I must admit though that many times the image and sound quality - especially the sound - I get at home exceeds the theatrical experience.
OTOH:
The buzz you get from a movie on opening night that you and the audience are dying to see cannot be beat though.
Can't wait for TTT opening night.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks