What's new

I'm watching movies at home from now on. (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
RonP, that has to be the funniest smillie I've ever seen! :D :D :D
back on thread, last time I was in a cinema was for Minority Report (it was a freebie, but I probably would've wanted to go anyway). unfortunately, the seats were poor, right by the left side so I got a case of crick-in-neck watching. sound was horrendous too, way too harsh and screechy, and the surrounds were too loud (partly due to sitting at the extreme left side and therefore being too close, probably).
the last time before that was SW:AOTC, 2 viewings. the first was all right, I bought tickets early and got decent seats (we have a fixed seat system here). the second was a freebie, again bad seats (free for all this time) and wound up way up front, too close. sound was crap again, practically no surround effects, either I was too far from them since I was up front, or it just plain didn't work.
per se these wouldn't put me off going to cinemas, since with fixed seating, early purchasing of tickets ensures decent seating, and my cinema of choice, with seats of choice, is fine. but I agree that a lot of patrons are real PITAs, with cellphones going off all the time, which is bad enough, but then these clowns insist on conducting lengthy, and loud, conversations!??!! :angry:
ironically I haven't been recently mainly because of the SO. she's not a big movie fan in the first place, and recently when I suggested we go see AP3: Goldmember, she asked "are you getting the DVD?" I said probably, so she retorted that we should save money and wait until then :D after all, I just spent a bundle on a nice new receiver, speakers and SVS :D
but I think I would like to see "Signs", SO or not, ASAP, so I can remain "spoiler free" while watching, and then join in the discussion soon. otherwise I'd have to wait until December or early next year, and then catch up on, what is it now, 15-20 pages of discussion? and for that matter, big action movies, or epics, are still best in the theatre, so that's Bond 20, LOTR2, maybe HP2, maybe XXX, in the cinemas, even if I'm getting the discs thereafter...

Anders Englund

Second Unit
I wait..and wait...and watch in The ScootPlex2000!
I hope you remember to rudely (is that a word?) tell your guests not to bring outside food, make sure a few of them have cell phones, speak loudly over the movie and blurt out the ending. Then kick everyone out as soon as the credits start rolling. Make sure they get a real theater experience. :)
--Anders

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
We live in a small (10k) midwestern town, and our local 2 plex (used to be a very narrow 1 plex) was showing Blade 2. 90% of the sound was coming from the right surrounds, and most of it was very distorted. I complained to the manager, and she told me "That's 5 and a half digital. That's how it is." I asked her, aren't there individual controls for the preamp, and she said no.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
I know enough about suburban theaters that I avoid them like the plague. Teenagers, cellphone addicts, no babysitter parents. I also avoid AMC, because the extra chromosome set always has to have their "movie watcher" discounts. The AMC in Westminster is like a teenage malt shop on weekends. Suburban theaters are Romper Rooms.

I go to the city theaters. Either downtown, in the ritzy mall, or in the bohemian part of town around the capital. The patrons are more respectful, mostly all adults. If there are teens, they are respectful, because the general mood of the city is more cosmo, so more respectful.

I might sound like a snob, but you folks that live in or near a city should try it. No guarantees that you'll get a movie trouble free, but the chances are better in the city than the suburb.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Al,
I hardly think that you should be generalizing and classifying the theater-employees as "Punk Kids". They have a job to do, and part of that job is to inform the patrons of the rules of the theater.
When we purchase a ticket to a film, we are supposed to abide by rules, and they are simply re-iterating them. Sure, I can understand how it can be annoying, but them's the breaks. If you're going to walk in with a bag, they have every right to expect that something might be in there that might violate the rules of the theater!
You're making the right decision though in deciding with your wallet. Only you can decide what you want to do.
I was in the middle-east this past January (I am not making this political), and upon entering any mall or theater, armed security guards would open your bags, take out all the contents, and inspect the bag itself before letting you pass! Thankfully, that doesn't happy here. There it's an issue of safety, and an action of inspection. At least here they don't root through our stuff!
As for theaters, I still attend now and then although the experience has been diminished by some of the other attendees. Most of the theaters in the greater Toronto area are relative upscale, with great seats, large screens, and up-to-date audio/video equipment. Yeah, we still have the odd morons who insist on creating havoc in a theater, and yeah, show & concession prices are obscenely high... but some flicks just need to be seen on the big-screen. :D
Moe.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
that's odd they don't allow food. THe theater I worked in could care less if you brought your own food in. We always laughed at the people "sneaking" it past us, when there was no reason.

The doormen however LOVED to bust little kids that tried to buy tickets to an R rated film, get denied, then buy a PG13 and try to sneak in.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Check out this nonsense:

While watching Signs in a theater, one smart-ass made "cute" little sarcastic noises and comments loudly for everyone to hear his comic genius a few time. What really disturbed me is that everyone laughed at him! I think I actually heard, "Heh, that guy is funny."

I used to think that it was just a couple of people here and there... but now I'm not so sure.

He was treating it as if he were in a living room with his friends instead of a public theater where, gee, I dunno, maybe we wanna watch the movie?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I hate that mike.
I also hate, loud teeth suckers, Bags of popcorn that are shaken and rattles around (what happened to tubs?) I also hate the guy behind me that HAS to state the obvious at every juncture such as "Ooooooooooh yaaaaaa so he killed that guy then!" But mostly it's the teeth suckers :angry:

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Movies are meant for theatres and should be viewed, as much as it is practical, in a theatre first......everything else is still just TELEVISION.
ummmmmm then why do you even bother with the

HOME THEATER forum if you believe that

Thanks JB! Brain Freeze last night

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
quote: Edwin-S: Movies are meant for theatres and should be viewed, as much as it is practical, in a theatre first......everything else is still just TELEVISION.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ummmmmm then why do you even bother with the
HOME THEATER forum if you believe that
Speaking for myself (and my husband, because he's the Home Theater geek and he feels the same way), we built our home theater (which consists of a ceiling-mounted projector, a 7' x 4 1/2' -I think, he's not here to ask- screen, all the surround sound audio jazz, multi-region DVD capability, and over 1000 DVDs) IN SERVICE to our love of movies.
Love of movies, for us, equates to wanting to see great movies (or potentially great movies) as soon as possible after they open, IN A REAL THEATER. Which is why we go out to the theater several times a month. In July, we saw 13 movies in the theater and I was upset because we didn't see more. We've seen 9 so far in August and there are 5 more for sure coming up just within the next week. There are 30-50 MUST SEEs and REALLY REALLY WANT TO SEEs between now and the end of the year. There will certainly be even more that come in under the radar that we'll tack on. That's not even taking into account going back to see movies a second (or more) time.
There are so many potentially great movies coming out in the next few months. I'm so psyched, and can't wait to see them!
You make it sound as if the two (love of movies, and love of home theater) are incompatible, while I never knew they could be considered separate entities until I came here.
I DO understand that there are solid, valid reasons for not going out to the theater, such as having kids or not having the money (lack of money is why, in June, we only saw 2 movies...boo hoo, I nearly had a nervous breakdown), but really, most of the reasons I see given for not going to the theater are so easily bypassed or ignored I just have to shake my head in confusion.
Each to their own, you know, but our home theater exists as a secondary means to watch movies. Real theaters will always, hopefully, be our primary means.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Agreed Vickie! ;)
After seeing Signs a couple of weeks ago with a friend, I have to say I rather enjoyed the, for lack of a better word, "comaraderie", that can sometimes be found in a packed theater full of adults out to have a fine evening. Little things like a husband returning from the popcorn stand, calling out his wife's name in the middle of a darkened theater (thankfully during the previews ;)) were cause of laughter not consternation. You kind of appreciate the company of others during those moments.
My two cents,
Michael.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Someone has to keep the theaters rolling in cash, as you said to each his own

I was commenting more on the quote (it's only television)
I was saying, if you felt that way about it, why spend $$$$$ on a home theater.
I always hated movie theaters.
A good portion sucked...can't even get a good drink (One thing better in the UK than the US, they serve alcohol in movie theaters, but their sweet popcorn sucks)
Sound usually bad (complain to the 17 yo will do nada) and if you do have to run to the bathroom; you lose!
We have friends over all the time. In fact friends brought over Blackhawk Down because they only wanted to see it here
Anyways just my opinion; everyone has one and yours is as valid as mine
'Peace
Grant

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
35mm is not replicateable on DVD

The movie theater is where these films are best. Star Wars at home is nothing like Star Wars in the theater.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Phillip, too true, but I've never really seen 70mm(except IMAX), though that shall change for the glory of Lawrence of Arabia ;)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
me either, nobody fuckin has them anymore.
making films shot in 70mm work in 35 is a PITA too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks