I'm watching movies at home from now on.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al_S, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

I don't know what it is about movie theaters lately but the last few times I've gone out to see a movie the experience left me wishing that I just stayed at home. I'm not really talking about the insane prices which have always been ridiculous. I'm talking about the punk kids that work there are now starting to be rude. I always carry a backpack with me because I don't drive and always carry things I need like glasses, umbrella, etc. This was never a problem until about 2 months ago when I was asked by a punk kid if I had a camera in my bag. I guess he meant a camcorder to tape the movie I was about to see. I said no and didn't really give it a second thought. The next time I went to the same theater another punk kid who was taking tickets asked me if I had any food in my bag because no outside food or drink is allowed. He not only stated this once but told me 3 times even when I was walking away. After thinking about this it made me kind of mad. I have gone to this theater at least 15 times in the past with nobody bothering me and now all of a sudden I got 15 year old punk kids giving me a hard time and acting like a typical punk kid. So, I've decided to vote with my wallet and not go back to that theater. Actually, I will probably just wait until the DVD comes out and watch it from the comfort of my LazyBoy. Screw the hassles!

2. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I don't think what they are doing would qualify them as "punk kids" to me. They are probably just doing what they were told to do by management. Their recent emphasis on this is probably due to a few specific incidents. I think your idea to express your dissatisfaction by refusing to patronize that theater in the future, is a sensible solution.

I understand the theaters right to prohibit outside food. It's a rule I often choose to break but if I were questioned or confronted about it a few times, I would stop. Spare me the sermon. I know it's wrong but if my chances of being confronted are almost non-existent, it's worth the risk to me. I use to think I was the only one but each summer I hear more and more cans of soda pop open as soon as the lights go down.

I've seen a lot of posts about people being pissed off by rude people (most commonly teenagers). It's not just teenager though and of course, it's not all teenagers. I use to ignore these cause it's never been a real problem for me....until lately. It just amazes how rude people have become at the movies. It's almost like they want to be rude just to show they are cool. It's like, "Rude = Cool". It's like, make as much noise and commotion to draw attention to yourself as possible until someone gives you some attention and then hopefully, chill out. I really think they just want/like the attention. I'm pretty tolerant, but my wife is easily disturbed at the movies. I'd say 20% of the time we change seats because of rowdy viewers. We almost always go to the first showing of the day. We get there early and get decent seats, then here they come. The rude people. They seat near enough to us that they can ruin the movie. Before the previews start, I don't care how loud you are, but after the lights go down I expect people to be quiet. It's really getting bad out there. Staying home and waiting till a movie is out on DVD is not very practical for me, so I'll just have to deal with the public.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Al
    The last movie I went to was Kubricks (the name escapes me now) last movie.
    I remember being disappointed about the sound and then needing to go to the bathroom for the last half of the movie so bad... and then missing the ending
    My wife has gone to a few since; and then admitting it sounded like crap
    Don't miss the $8 popcorn a bit either

4. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

And now, for my 2000th post extravaganza! :

I haven't been to a theater in a long time. Loud, obnoxious people. Cellular phones. Overpriced goodies. Overpriced everything, for that matter, including admission. Poor sound quality. Often, poor video quality. Uncomfortable and often unsanitary seats. Workers who don't like their job and like you (the customer) even less.

Forget it. I watch everything in my own home now. My 65" screen from 10 feet away is as big as it needs to be. The picture and sound quality is 100x better. I can eat and drink whatever I like. I can have my dog on my lap. I can pause the movie to use the bathroom or grab some more food. The $18 DVD costs less than it would to take my wife out to see the movie in a theater and I can watch it as often as I like. Lastly, and most importantly, I don't have to put up with anyone I don't want to put up with.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I almost never go to theater's anymore. Paid to see Attack of the Clones and saw MIB II (for free thank God). Only two times I've been this year. I WILL see Star Trek: Nemesis theatrically and maybe The Two Towers. Other than that, I'll wait for the DVDs. It's better at home.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I don't go anymore either.
    I do have a fond memory of one summer long ago when I lived in a house with no A/C: on the weekends, my girlfriend and I would mix up a big batch of Bloody Marys, put them in a thermos with ice, and carry them into a theater in her voluminous straw bag. We would sit there in some Sunday matinee, enjoying the cool air, get wasted, and then go home for ...... [​IMG]
    Now I just get wasted at home.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Grant, that would be Eyes Wide Shut. JB

9. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

If I can't wait, then I'll go to the theater. My AMC isn't too bad. Stadium seating, clean, better than average service. I've been to three movies this year: Attack of the clones, Spiderman, and MIB II. I think the only other movie I'll go to this year will be The Two Towers.

10. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Maybe I am one of the few but Al I cant see that the "Punk Kid" employees or the theater did anything wrong. Point is its their business and they can run it how they want to as long as its legal. If you dont like them asking you questions then dont patronize the place and they will lose the money they would have received from you.

KyleS

11. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I wait..and wait...and watch in The ScootPlex2000!

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I've had fairly good luck at theaters. I mostly watch in Westwood Village (where I work) and there are quite a few kids from UCLA obviously but most are respectful. The only raucous affairs are at appropriate movies, like Star Wars, and during appropriate moments, so it adds to the ambience and experience rather than detract.

Of course last week I watched "Signs" at The Bridge Cinemas in West L.A. (near Culver City). There were two kids who were making inappropriate laughter and noises throughout the whole thing. And outside in the lobby, they were endlessly fascinated by the cameras which The Bridge had installed in the hallways showing the moviegoers. They kept flashing gang signs at them. That's why I think no one piped up and told them to shut up.

13. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Good one, Ron.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

dude I was a projectionist and could have gone back to see any movie for free any time, and I STILL prefer to rent it on DVD and see it at home. The general public generally sucks.

15. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Geez, guys, it hasn't even been a month since the last one of these threads! I'm pretty sure that the subject has been exhausted exhaustively.

16. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I'm almost ready to open an upscale theatre with a properly calibrated projection and sound system, ultra comfortable seating with no possible obstructions ahead of you, premium food sold at the same price as in regular theatres, cell phone and pager jammers, and a minimum age limit which will allow me to show any rated movies without any restrictions (including NC-17).
    This means:
    - No cell phone or pager rings and beeps,
    - No roudy teenagers or young people (with apologies to those who hang around here),
    - No crying babies,
    - No more $10 popcorn (why bother? We have paté de foie gras!),
    - No fatheads sitting in front of you (literally),
    - No stating your home system is better than ours,
    - No worries about the movie's content (unless the movie itself stinks).
    Than you for allowing me to indulge in my ultimate fantasy -- at least the one I can discuss here. [​IMG]

17. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

the general crappiness of movie theaters was the driving reason behind my deciding to go full boat on putting together a home theater.

18. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    1. Complain when you get a bad show.
    2. Find better theatres if they don't act on the complaints.
    3. Follow the link in my signature for the way it's meant to be. [​IMG]

19. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

20. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

It surprises me to always read statements from movie buffs, in which they seem to be proud of the fact that they no longer frequent movie theatres. It kind of floors me because movies are specifically produced for release in theatres first. If enough people reach a point where they absolutely refuse to watch movies in a theatre because they can wait for it on DVD, then eventually it could negatively impact theatrical film production. If production companies start getting vibes that people are willing to settle for movies on video, then it stands to reason that they may decide to make straight to video production a much larger part of their business. I think this would be disastrous because that type of production seems to be of much lower quality and with much lower budgets.

Movies are meant for theatres and should be viewed, as much as it is practical, in a theatre first......everything else is still just TELEVISION.