What's new

I'm surprised nobody is talking about (Remake) Assault on Presinct 13 DVD (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Alistair,

Thanks for the website source. I've read the review there and it looks to be very good. Thanks!

Troy.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Went out and bought this one based on folks reviews of it and must say I am not disappointed. I enjoyed the movie very much. This was definately an action fan's dream!

And Brent , you're right , the automatic weapons and especially the 9mm handguns sounded absolutely amazing in DTS ! :) What a dynamic track! Worth the price of disc alone. That's the way I like for guns to sound when they fire. Loud, dynamic, punchy and most of all realistic.

I liked Ethan Hawke's character in this one like I did his Training Day role. I think he does well with this kind of character. He shows his ability with a weapon and makes it convincing. Fishburne and Bryne do well in their roles as well.

I never saw the original "Assault", But this remake is definately worth a rental if not a buy.

later,
Troy

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I'll probably check this out my guilty pleasure is action movies but I'd like to say why people are getting angry that it's different from the original? I mean what's the point of doing a carbon copy, I've always thought that the point of a remake was to take the original concept and do something new and original with it.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I highly enjoyed the new version. Fun Action film. Great Transfer and DTS track :emoji_thumbsup:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Screeners went out late. Universal has gotten paranoid about piracy, apparently, so they're not sending us much until street date. My copy didn't arrive until 5/12...

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I didn't see the original of this one, but I did like the new version. I agree about the DTS track. Very nice.

I'll have to check out the original too, I like Carpenter's older films.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Picked up Assault (1976) at WalMart for $6, but this seems to be the bare-bones 16x9 version.

The SE (didn't know there was one) has a couple of extras, primarily a commentary.

Might check back at WalMart to see if there's an SE mixed among the other copies.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Starting to wonder if there was an SE...

My copy shows CKK Corp 2003, but list no extras on the back.

Front cover does not say 'widescreen' or 'special edition' (nothing at all on top).

Confused because the SE was suppose to come in 2003.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well I have both of the the Image releases and while the newer (2002-03) one may not be jam packed with extras they are there as stated in post #18.....why would they chop it down even further when less than four months ago you could pick the "SE" up at Best Buy in a double set with Dreamscape for $10.00?

Odd, you wouldn't think they would go thru the expense of re-authoring the disc......maybe the isolated music track was costing them?

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
That is strange. Image's first Assault DVD was released in 1997. It contained a non-anamorphic widescreen transfer, the Carpenter commentary track (which was originally recorded for the LaserDisc), and the trailer. Across the top of the front cover were the words "Widescreen Edition." Here is the front and the back That disc eventually went OOP and in 2003 Image re-released Assault as a "New Special Edition" with a 16x9 transfer and the extras I mentioned above. The front and the back. DVD Empire still has the "New Special Edition" listed in-stock for $9.00. Whether or not it's the same disc from 2003....?

Amazon.com has a plain-jane edition listed for $9.99. They also have the "New Special Edition" for $15.99.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Buyer Beware: the WalMart $6 version is a 16x9 bare-bones version.

There is no menu (other than a chapter listing) and no extras.

Apparently, in 2003 Image created two 16x9 versions (SE and bare-bones).

Since I opened my bare-bones, guess I'll be keeping it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks